Search Unity

Question Zaxis inveretd in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by masterahuck, Jun 5, 2023.

1. masterahuck

masterahuck

Hello
    I noticed that in newer versions of Unity the +Z axis has been reversed and does not match the same direction of the +Z axis in Maya. As result all my meshes in Unity have their Zaxis reversed compared to maya and the Xaxis too.

I set all my pivots in Maya so that +X would point forward but as a result of the change in Unity, now the +X axis in Unity is pointing backwards compared to Maya.

I am aware of the "Bake Axis Conversion" in the import settings but when I turn it ON, it changes the layout of my scene as I did some basic layout in Maya for my assets.

Is there a way to fix this issue without having to reset all my pivots in Maya or without turning ON the "Bake Axis Conversion" in the import settings?

a1.jpg

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Unity is left-hand ruled. Maya and Blender are right-hand ruled.

You can fiddle with that bake thing but I never do it that way.

I simply make a prefab and put the model as a child to the prefab, such that the root GameObject of the prefab is correct.

This also lets you make orientation mistakes in Maya/Blender (or with asset store purchases) and handle them all via the same consistent mechanism, rather than a ton of random rotation warts all over your project.

3. masterahuck

masterahuck

Ok and how about just rotating the nesh 180 degrees in Unity so it matches the Maya layout and just use it?

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Be sure to let us know how that goes!

5. masterahuck

masterahuck

So far that does the trick :)