Search Unity

Zaskaggs Game Development Video Blog

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ZASkaggs, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ZASkaggs

ZASkaggs

I'm going to post regular video updates here as I develop my game using Unity and Playmaker. Hopefully these will get increasingly interesting. I thought that some of you might be interested to see this thing chronicled from literally day one.

About the game:
    Essentially it's going to be a puzzle / action game with two characters played quasi-simultaneously. There's more to it than that of course, but I'm going to try to keep these things text-light and video-heavy.

Who's working on it?
    Just myself and my brother, neither of us with any background in coding or scripting. Incidentally you can view our portfolios at www.zaskaggs.com and http://nathanskaggs.wordpress.com/ respectively.

UPDATE ONE
    Today I've cracked into Playmaker and found it very easy to use. I've managed to set up a camera system that tracks the player in a way that I find visually interesting. Also the player can switch the active character on the fly with the press of a button.

2. ZASkaggs

ZASkaggs

UPDATE TWO
    Still forging ahead. Important game mechanics are starting to get implemented now.

3. ZASkaggs

ZASkaggs

UPDATE THREE
    Just a small feature added this time.

4. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Looking at your portfolios I think that this has potential!

Will your brother Nathan be doing all the concept art and you all the modeling?

Im in a similar position as you two, as I have the 3d and 2d skills but lack the programming side of things ( I have a basic knowledge ) but with this said my twin brother is a pixel artist and a DAM good programmer, now if only we had enough time to work together like you guys :p good luck with you game!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Nice camera system, and the core mechanic seems like fertile ground... looking forward to seeing this develop! :)

6. ZASkaggs

ZASkaggs

@Micah
    Thanks man. Yeah, Nathan will be doing the concept art and painting the textures on the models. I'll be doing the models, the animation and the Playmakering.

@alexchouls
    thanks!

UPDATE FOUR
    Another core feature added today:

7. ZASkaggs

ZASkaggs

UPDATE FIVE
    Hey, I'm not dead! Made one of the simple minigames that I expect to use to open electronically-locked doors:

8. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Love the robot giving the human a piggy back ride! Seems like you could build a really compelling relationship between these 2 characters with the different ways they need each other...

9. ZASkaggs

ZASkaggs

UPDATE SIX
    Decided to start making some placeholder graphics. These definitely won't be anything like the final models (either in quality or design), but I felt the need to start making this look more like a proper game as I move on.

unityunity