Search Unity

Question Z-Fighting on Distant Objects

Discussion in 'VR' started by mlaubenheimer, Aug 2, 2022.

1. mlaubenheimer

mlaubenheimer

In my project I have buildings that are very big (made in blender at 60x60x60 dimensions) and then i have a quad with a material on it which is an image. I have positioned the quad slightly in front of the wall so as to avoid z-fighting. but my issue (seems to be) is that because the buildings and the quad are so big that when they are viewed from a normal viewing position there is z-fighting because the objects are considered too far off in the distance and the Oculus Quest 2 can't resolve them. I have been trying to create a subshader with an offset parameter but it doesn't seem to work. i have also been trying to play with the render queue but no luck. it's all rather silly because the scene is very simple. in the video you can see the z-fighting represented by the white diagonal line.

any thoughts? is it even z-fighting or maybe something else? when i get closer to the quad (image) the z-fighting goes away completely.

[video deleted]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  2. mlaubenheimer

mlaubenheimer

ok. if i delete my blender object (walled structure) and use a unity 3d object (cube) to make the wall, the issue goes away. so somehow unity doesn't like my mesh that i made in blender. but i can't figure out why.....

3. TomGoethals

TomGoethals

Check your near and far planes on the camera, get them closer towards each other, don't use really small near planes if you don't have to.

4. mlaubenheimer

mlaubenheimer

it turns out i just had a mesh with bad topology. case closed.

TomGoethals and DevDunk like this.