Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube and Netflix stops while Unity is running

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Davetronix, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davetronix

Davetronix

Using latest HUB version, editing in version 2019.2.0f1. PC, Windows 10.
    I'm watching YouTube tutorials (Chrome or Firefox) and Netflix while editing in Unity.
    Video will download and play for random lengths of time (e.g. approx 5 - 30 minutes).
    Suddenly YouTube / Netflix will just buffer and load infinitely and never play. I can still browse the internet.
    I have to save and close the Unity project. Then close Unity Hub in the background task bar.
    After Unity is closed my internet video download works after restarting the browser or Netflix app.

Is this a bug or is there a Unity setting to avoid the video download issue I'm experience?

2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Is your computer doing anything else while Unity is running. I've noticed my internet getting very slow while using Unity, but I discovered that it wasn't Unity at all. I kept updating files, Unity kept compiling my changes, which then triggered Google Drive (which I use as a backup) to start syncing. This has caused pings high enough for youtube to stop playing.

Open your task manager while this is happening and see if anything goes up to 100%. You could also simply be out of RAM or something, Unity is a beast.

Davetronix and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Davetronix

Davetronix

Thanks @newjerseyrunner
    It could be Google syncing, I've always got Google Chrome open, and it's syncing my account.
    The Windows Task Manager says Chrome is using most of the memory, consuming approx. 1400 MB.
    I've ordered some RAM (DDR4 2666MHz CL16) to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB.

I've now turned syncing off in Chrome settings and I'll recreate my workflow to see if it happens again.
    I'll post back when I've done some tests, thanks again!

4. Davetronix

Davetronix

NOTE:
    My internet connection is average 30MB/s - 45MB/s.
    Usually the speed is good but it does drop out because I'm over a kilometre away from the node in a congested suburb.
    TEST:
    Un-synchronised my Chrome account in Chrome settings and began my tests.
    I ran Unity. Opened Spotify, Netflix, 6 tabs with YouTube running at 1080p and partied hard!
    Everything ran well, no faults. Chrome (YouTube), was consuming about 800MB in the Task Manager.
    I left the media downloading while I worked in Unity.
    Then after an hour I re-synced my Chrome account to test it, and everything still worked.
    I ran everything for 30 mins and still no problems. Then un-synced Google again.
    Adobe updates began in the background were running and at the same time Spotify was running. Spotify then stopped.
    I stopped and closed Adobe updates. Spotify still did not work. I restarted Spotify and it worked.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    I think newjerseyrunner was right.
    It seems other programs are eating the internet, and memory so media download stalls.
    WHAT NOW:
    I'll keep Google un-synced while running Unity and monitor if any changes occur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.