Search Unity

Feedback "You're using the latest version"

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Kuukunen, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Kuukunen

Kuukunen

I tried to find the black hole to throw my annoyances into, but I guess this is it.

I'm usually not one to complain, but I felt sassy today and I saw the prompt in the Unity Hub

and got offended by it.

I'm not telling you to remove it without an actual inquiry into UX design and workflow, I might very well be a lone dissenting voice. But to me it is very annoying because in a world where we have way too many notifications already, it is a worm eating my brain time, demanding my attention just to take it and throw it in the bin. Why should I "learn more" about using the latest version? If you want to tell me about new things, word it along the lines of "you have updated your unity hub, do you want to know what is new?"

Or if you want to make sure people are using the latest version, maybe it would be better to have a nag prompt instead saying "You're not using the latest version [update]". Of course, the technical requirements for that are different, but you're big boys/girls and I'm sure you can handle it.

PS. While at it, and in the mood of getting annoyed by small UI transgressions, I posted another thing at the same time: https://forum.unity.com/threads/post-a-poll-is-stupid.977574/

2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I'd also not be unhappy to see this popup gone, although it doesn't bother me as much. I'd argue that users have to manually install a hub update (which is a good thing, I believe), and should read release notes before that, not afterward. So basically, since we already have an "update available" notification, we have all the information we need.

3. Baste

Baste

Pretty sure I've complained about it before. Having a toast message every time you open a piece of software saying that it's up to date is an absurdly bad decision.

"Users didn't get annoyed enough by us pestering them about updates, so let's start pestering them also when there's no updates"

But bad decisions is par for the course for the Hub, so hey ho.