Search Unity

"Your project was last opened with a different setup of Unity" after delete Library

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rakkarage, Mar 17, 2016.

1. rakkarage

rakkarage

2016-03-17.png
    i sometimes delete Library and obj (and sometimes Temp) folders to reset and re-import my project
    now when i do i get this dialog which is not much of a problem...
    i assume it determines version based on the state of the Library folder?
    could it maybe use ProjectVersion.txt instead or just not show dialog if no Library Folder since nothing to overwrite in that case idk
    thanks

ProjectVersion.txt
    Code (CSharp):
    1. m_EditorVersion: 5.4.0b10
    2. m_StandardAssetsVersion: 0

2. jerotas

jerotas

Yes its a file in ProjectSettings folder. Revert them.

Hamyah and Rahadhiwm like this.
  3. rakkarage

rakkarage

i know what it is, and where it is...
    what i am saying is that after delete Library & obj folders i am told that the project is "before 5.0" when the ProjectVersion.txt file (which i did not delete) clearly says AFTER 5.0.

this warning dialog is:

a: wrong. not pre 5
    b: not needed because there is no Library folder, not an old Library folder

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did anyone find a solution to that? I'm getting the error message and can't get rid of it.

LemonyPackett and 8hal like this.
  5. Nokuse

Nokuse

Same problem, after create new repository with out library and temp files.
    Can't solve it =(

8hal likes this.
  6. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

This isn't really a "problem", more an unclear UI message. The solution is: Click on Continue.

But I would agree with you @rakkarage - in the case of the Library folders being empty / non-existant, then it should not show this popup but instead show either nothing (and just start importing) or a message saying no library folder exists, need to reimport.

The ProjectVersion.txt file is one file that shows the version number, but by the sounds of this, the Library folder also has that meta-data too. It makes sense to load it from the Library and show it for upgrades, but not for empty Library folders.

Pawl likes this.
  7. Agent654

Agent654

For what it's worth - any time I run into this message it's usually a direct result of updating to a new version of the Unity editor. To BFS's point - it's Unity warning you that there may be unintended consequences to working in a Project that was created with an older version.

If I verify there's no hiccups or issues with the new version, using File > Save Project usually prevents this from coming up again - as verified by the project version number on the Unity Launcher showing the *now* correct version.

8. VirtualCharlie

VirtualCharlie

Eh, this is definitely a bug on Unity's end. It should check and update the projectversion.txt file. It used to, but now it doesn't, IIRC.

I've had to explain it to pretty much every person who opens our project for the first time. They think there's something wrong with their workspace. When I tell them to "just hit continue," they think there's something wrong with me.

9. Sinaz20

Sinaz20

@Onoa If you are working with a version control software, have everyone on your team check the ProjectVersion.txt file out. Find it at the root of the project. If it is not checked out or otherwise excluded from protection, write permissions will prevent it from being updated.

After you have write permissions, open a fresh copy of Unity, press continue, then Save Project. Quit and reload and the dialog should disappear (and your ProjectVersion.txt will reflect the new version.)

10. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Even after you convert the project to the new version of Unity and save the project, if you copy the project to a new project, you are still hit with the message "The saved project (before 5.0 does not match the launched editor".
    The message does not make sense.
    This is definitely an issue with some file in the ProjectSettings folder that Unity is checking. The projectVersion file is perfectly fine as expected:
    m_EditorVersion: 5.3.6p1
    m_StandardAssetsVersion: 0

So there is some other file that is the culprit.

11. TwiiK

TwiiK

Just encountered this myself. At first I thought it was no longer safe to delete the Library folder in 5.4, but then I realized I'm still on 5.3.5 so I guess this change happened in a minor 5.3.x update?

Anyway like people have said everything works like it used to, and the warning definitely shouldn't be there.

Edit: Guess I should note that I'm upgrading to 5.4 after I finish up this project so I'll check again there.

12. hugebug

hugebug

I have the same problem.
    Event my ProjectVersion.txt has already matched with my Editor, the message still always popup, if there is no "Library" folder.

13. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

I've been getting this issue happening using Unity 5.5.0f3.

Occasionally I will work on a project, save it all out and shut the computer down then come back to reopen it the next day, only to have it spit up a message that it was built in a previous version of Unity (5.2) and has to be updated, at which point I also lose things like my PlayerSettings with them being reverted to default.

I'm currently testing 5.5.0f3 for stability for our purposes, so have it installed on an external hard-drive and run it by manually launching the unity.exe before selecting the project. 5.2 is the main version installed on this machine however I am definitely not accidentally launching it at any point so I have no idea what is going on.

Ginang likes this.
  14. ronald-mar

ronald-mar

I've been having this problem for quite some time, and I've found what I think is a solution (or at least a workaround).

In my case, "Assets->Reimport All" made the problem go away. It took a while to finish (maybe 10 minutes?), but the project version is correct now.

15. ziaden

ziaden

I am experiencing precisely this problem (during the final hours of the Global Game Jam)! However, in my case THE PROJECT WILL NOT OPEN AT ALL!
    Has *anyone* found a reasonable solution/workaround for this?!

ProbeShift and rjj7711 like this.
  16. blainebell

blainebell

I am also getting this problem when I open a 5.5.0f3 project in 5.5.1f1 Reimporting All doesn't work, what's even worse is if I try to reinstall 5.5.0f3, Building the project in WebGL no longer works in either version..

17. blainebell

blainebell

i am getting a stack trace when loading into 5.5.1f1:

2017-02-01 17:22:32.733 Unity[653:10309] NSWindow warning: adding an unknown subview: <NSView: 0x10b7c0bb0>. Break on NSLog to debug.
    2017-02-01 17:22:32.746 Unity[653:10309] Call stack:
    (
    0 AppKit 0x00007fff82cb07b7 -[NSThemeFrame addSubview:] + 107
    1 AppKit 0x00007fff82cb04fc -[NSView addSubview:positioned:relativeTo:] + 211
    2 Unity 0x00000001026d87b1 _ZN15ContainerWindow4InitEP13MonoBehaviour5RectTIfEiRK8Vector2fS6_ + 1665
    3 Unity 0x00000001020e45b9 _Z50ContainerWindow_CUSTOM_INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_ShowP10MonoObjectRK5RectTIfEiRK13Vector2fIcallS7_ + 297
    4 ??? 0x0000000127031c3b 0x0 + 4949482555
    5 ??? 0x0000000127031b44 0x0 + 4949482308
    6 ??? 0x0000000127030bb5 0x0 + 4949478325
    7 ??? 0x0000000126703c0a 0x0 + 4939856906
    8 ??? 0x0000000126705883 0x0 + 4939864195
    9 libmono.0.dylib 0x000000010aa9385e mono_get_runtime_build_info + 3654

18. blainebell

blainebell

when in doubt, delete everything in the project directory that is not associated with your assets. Make sure you have all of your scenes saved. Then use the latest version of Unity. worked for me

19. Ginang

Ginang

I have the same problem as well while opening my project in 5.5.f3

20. leegod

leegod

I experiencing same problem. Just before at my laptop, project files are located on external ssd (Samsung portfolio). I saved scene, project without any problem.

And I just came back to home, ssd connected to desktop.
    Unity version is beta, 5.6.0b6

I ran unity and its project selection window pop up.

I chosen same project, but unity suddenly shows Bug Report window and does not open at all. Not just once, but same again and again.

I can't reimport all asset because even I can't open project.

Please help.

21. computertech

computertech

My friend and me just finished making a game. When he just gives me his Unity game to me for keeping it before we leave away from a game jam, I cannot open my unity game on my way back to my house. How do I open my project with a different version now?

22. Darkfeast

Darkfeast

我也遇到这个问题了

23. computertech

computertech

So, is it still impossible to open it now?

24. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Maybe helpful to someone: I was getting the "Opening Project in Non-Matching Editor Installation" dialogue every time I opened my project. Turns out this was happening because the files in my ProjectSettings folder were "locked" because I had imported the project from an old Perforce repo that had locked all the files (read only). Once I set the files to read/write, the importer was able to update the files.

AlanMattano likes this.
  25. computertech

computertech

oh my one works now. before it was just my buddy's unity version is too new for my one.

26. tdvance

tdvance

it's a problem, clicking "continue" does not fix it in Unity 5.6. It happens every time you open. Reimport all doesn't fix. F7-compile doesn't fix. Rebuild all in Visual Stuido doesn't fix. It eventually gets fixed but I haven't figured out what I do when working on it that fixes it. Really, this should be fixed!

27. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

This happening every time you open it is probably a bug, and should be reported. What was originally discussed was it happening after you delete out the metadata folders, which trigger it to show the message one time. If its happening every time you open a project in 5.6, then I would suggest you report it as a new bug.

28. tdvance

tdvance

It's now May 2017 and Unity 2017.1.0b4 still has the same problem. I've reported it but as usual, closed with no action. The only way to stop the message was to edit the ProjectVersion.txt file and change Unity 2017.1.0b3 to Unity 2017.1.0b4. Why this is not done automatically on reimport is beyond me....

29. leegod

leegod

So my problem was because of external SSD drive. So I warning that all external SSD drive is very fragile and unstable. Its not for unity complicated project file storage. Now I don't use external SSD for unity project, and the problem never happened again.

paulofernando78 likes this.
  30. spark1998

spark1998

Its prety simple hack that would work for any one:
    1) go to the file where you save unity games and search for this file that is called ProjectVersion.txt
    2) edit that file on note padand type your unity version instead of the old unity version as shown
    3) Save the file and open unity and choose your project
    unity.PNG unity1.PNG unity2.PNG

31. spark1998

spark1998

I hope this helps you....

32. chance_harris

chance_harris

Editing ProjectVersion.txt doesn't help for me. It does skip the warning, but then Unity quits right away.

ouyangjian28 likes this.
  33. kkuheana

kkuheana

i'm reverting back to unity 5. i just updated to unity 2017 and "using HTTP" wasnt recognized. I thought that it was my project, so i deleted them and started fresh only to find out that the same error occurred yet again. Figured reverting back might resolve the issue. Unity has previous versions. I would finish the project your doing first before upgrading. when you upgrade, assets may or may not be usable for new version. That's my resolution hypothesis. Im still downloading the 5 version right now. will give update when everything is finished installing.
    I finished reinstalling the previous version. Unfortunately, the project i've spent a week working on i deleted thinking that was the issue. the error no longer comes up. "using HTTP" is reconizable again. Have to start from ground 0. Hope you all don't make the same mistake i did. I also had to reinstall the Android module for Unity 5.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  34. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I'm having the same problem with Unity 5.6.3.f and Unity2017.1.f
    Is a problem because you need to know the Vr. before you open your project. You do not what to open a U2017 project into a Unity 5.6 by error! You can loose a lot of time restoring.

How to solve this problem?

Looking to the file looks like my user do not have write permission

Side Note: Windows user: the folder read only will be always read only. If you apply changes to the folder, it changes the files attribute only. The folders attributes are always read only.

I suspect that the bug can also be trigger in Windows by user name path error or change the user name or similar. c:/users/problem?

@leegod for a solution do you suggest to move unity from external SSD to an external HDD?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  35. StageFreeze

StageFreeze

I recently had this problem. I went to my build settings and change the target platform, waited for it to apply then changed back to my original target platform and problem solved.

Glurth, Malveka and AlanMattano like this.
  36. Malveka

Malveka

This solution worked for me. The problem I was experiencing was that the "non-matching editor installation" dialog was appearing every time I opened a project after it had been upgraded from 5.6.1 to 5.6.4.

37. KokodokoGames

KokodokoGames

My mac and windows Unity versions are both the latest, but when I open a mac project on windows I keep getting this warning, and windows fails to open the project. The editor shows lots of empty gameobjects.

38. Maxii

Maxii

I'm now having this problem except it occurs every time I open a project, even after I've saved it in the new editor. I just updated to 2017.3.1 from 2017.3.0. Unfortunately, the auto update process (couldn't copy a json file to AppData) failed. Since Unity was not completely intact due to the install failure, it couldn't be uninstalled, so I had to manually delete the Unity folders, then redownload and install. That worked, but I've now got this repeating "project needs to be updated" dialog. I expect it is a setting in ProjectSettings that isn't getting updated. Anybody have any further insights into how to resolve this?

Edit: I figured out the inability to update ProjectVersion. You have to dirty the project somehow, then save it and close the editor. Without a change to the project, saving it doesn't do anything.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    gdp2 likes this.
  39. Juzper

Juzper

I had the same problem before. Try selecting all your assets, go to assets and reimport them. Remember to save too.

40. congliu2000

congliu2000

Dont open it from unity hub, rather open it from the unity version you want through the desktop .There are unityversions awailible in your desktop, so just click on those.

41. paulofernando78

paulofernando78

That's it. I was trying to use G:\Google Drive and it crashed all the time. Solved this problem by using C:\