Search Unity

Your own server?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by Rasly2, May 30, 2019.

1. Rasly2

Rasly2

Well while AWS is crezy overpriced isnt it a better to host your own server.
    Any person here have such experience?

2. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

3. Rasly2

Rasly2

I think u mised the point, in that video he talk about dedicated server vs player server.
    I talk about if its sustainable to run your own dedicated server on your usual ISP

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I use a server sitting by my desk for developer testing, and a rented dedicated server running the last stable build for my alpha/beta testing. My at home server also runs a few VM's for other services, such as my SVN server. So I don't need to worry about paying for version control or keeping within free version control size constraints. I use a dynamic DNS service to direct everything to my connection, even with a dynamic IP, while outside of my home network.

I'd be hesitant of using a home server to host a game you want to go live with though on a consumer internet connection, because they typically have language in the terms of service saying you can't do this. If you had a business internet service, you'd typically not have that constraint. Just risky to be at the whim of your internet provider deciding to care about what you're doing or not with consumer internet.

As far as renting servers, the best value I've found is renting somewhat outdated dedicated servers. For $65USD/month I'm getting 16 cores (2X AMD Opteron 4284), 32GB RAM, 2TB disk, and 33TB bandwidth from Joe's Datacenter. From a cloud provider that amount of resources would easily be $500+.

edit: Joe's Datacenter has no relation to myself beyond being a customer - my username and their company name are a coincidence.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    TwoTen and Rasly2 like this.
  5. Rasly2

Rasly2

wow aws 29TB cost 2900 :) i need something like 5 TB actually.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. TwoTen

TwoTen

Amazing tips right there.

Joe-Censored likes this.