Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Your own personal world in unity multiplayer

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by forsrobin, Feb 21, 2018.

1. forsrobin

forsrobin

Hello!

Me and my friend is working on a multiplayer building game where you get your own plot/island where you will grow your own plants and gaining levels. The thing is that we have no idea on how we should start the multiplayer part with their own plots/islands.

I have done my own research but can't seem to fin anything about how everyoone get's their own plot.
    I just need some information/help about how i should go about doing this, like shoud I make new sence for everyplayer, should i generate new terrain for each player. I have no diea.

We have a working login script and multiplayer is working fine but it's just the "create your own plot" part i cant figure out.

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Sounds way too ambitious project to begin with if you don't even know where to begin with the core features. Who is acting as a server? players or a rented machine? can players visit and do actions at friend plots while the owners are offline? is cheat protection important? etc.

hippocoder, Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  3. Arowx

Arowx

Possibly the best way to do what I think you want would be a cloud/server based system to host the islands.

However you can have each player run their own islands and use matchmaking so they are peer to peer online.

So anyone can visit another online players island by joining that game.

There would be a large data transfer for any version as they download a customised island.

I did something like this with Terroids, as it had a level designer but used very simple building
    blocks.

https://arowx.itch.io/teroids

forsrobin, Schneider21, Ryiah and 2 others like this.