Search Unity

Your list of Unity "go to" tools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptCanada, Dec 4, 2015.

1. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

I am just curious as to what Unity tools devs here use as their go to tools for game development, say for first person and third person development.

2. aer0ace

aer0ace

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

We also had a thread like this on the forums before. Seems like it would be a good thread to be pinned.

Anyway, I think that Playmaker is a must.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Personally for me it's:
    And that's about it. I also use some drawing/painting tools (iDraw, GraphicConverter, Seashore) on occasion, and have a few other plug-ins (like Vectrosity) that I use in some projects as needed.

Flipbookee and Ryiah like this.
  5. DugelStudios

DugelStudios

For anything involving editing and making images (Game assets, key images, game screenshots, game icon) I use Graphic. (Previously called iDraw before it was aquired by Autodesk)

6. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, do you mean plugins or non-Unity stuff?

7. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

My loadout is thus:

Audio:
    • Audacity (audio post-production)
    • Anvil Studio
    • SynthFont (for rendering MIDI to higher-quality OGG files)
    Graphics:
    • GIMP (2D images, texture editing)
    • Blender (3D models)
    Code:
    • Visual Studio - seriously, no other environment has as many useful features. You can use whatever to edit code and write a good game, my first two games did. However, Visual Studio, particularly with Resharper, provides all sorts of ways of writing more efficient code. This is important to me, because I am a programmer; I practice how I write any time that I write code. I don't want bad practices to contaminate my technique; if they do, I need to excise those practices ASAP.
    Design:
    • Google Docs - I'm new to design, and bad at it. But, figuring out what to build, before deciding how is pretty important. I mostly use text documents, but spreadsheets have their place too.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I'll add Inkscape, Substance Designer and Substance Painter.

and I'll second Blender, Gimp and Visual Studio

9. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Blender's cool and all, but easily one of the worst interfaces ever.

It's been their #1 complaint for over a decade and they have never done anything about it.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. darkhog

darkhog

@Not_Sure and you know why? Because it's pretty damn powerful once you stop using your GUI brain and start using shortcuts, like it was meant to be done.

//edit: And GIMP is good and all, but it is really crappy program for painting. I use it for touching up photos but that's it. Krita is far better for painting textures from scratch. You can even paint normal maps with it.

11. aer0ace

aer0ace

Not true. Blender 2.5 was a major overhaul of the interface that pushed it more towards Max/Maya. True, it's still awkward to use, but before 2.5, I turned away from it every time I gave it a glance.

Martin_H likes this.
  12. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Huh, I remember using it back around 2.(something) and did not notice many changes. My memory must be failing me.

And yea @darkhog , krita is amazing.

13. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

heres some tools lol
    http://ludumdare.com/compo/tools/

blender used to look totally different, i like it alot now
    but yeah i never used the others much .. i used maya like once back when but barely dunno

14. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I was looking at what Unity tools/assets people consider must haves when working on their projects.

I am looking myself at either Terrain Composer or Ghia for terrain building. I would really like to get Playmaker as well. The third person controller by Invector is also an asset I may purchase

I am not a modeller so I do t have any tools. I do recommend Probuilder for level building, especially the bundle.
    Oh, and UFPS is my go fav asset so far.

15. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Blox2 visual scripting!!!! It's so easy and saves u so much time!

iamthwee likes this.
  16. tedthebug

tedthebug

I was told by a programming teacher that blender is a modelling programme made for programmers because all the programmers he knew preferred using it over maya because the interface made more sense whereas the artists preferred maya as they couldn't understand the blender interface.

I'm really enjoying pyxel edit for 2d sprites. It exported animations to unity really easily.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Blender's interface is a pain in the ass initially, but once you know your way around it there's no issue. I have 3DS Max as well, but it takes an age to boot up so I just use blender anyway.
    Mind you, the only time I've used 3D models in unity was when I was nodding KSP, and half of those were ported from my other other project which was modeling vehicles in F***ing minecraft of all things. Everything built entirely out of quad based primitives, really weird method of modeling.

For textures I mostly use Paint.NET. I have Gimp and graphicsgale, but I've been using Paint.NET for a different project for nearly 3 years now so I work much, much faster with it than the others.

Audio I use audacity and LMMS, but I'm S*** at audio so my comments on the subject aren't worth much.

For coding I just use vanilla mono develop because I am a scrub, and thus far I refuse to touch the asset store with a ten foot pole, not because I don't think there's any good stuff on there, I just prefer to write everything myself, if I can't write a script myself then I don't deserve to use it.

18. iamthwee

iamthwee

Can't tell if this has been mentioned already but crazy bump, perfect for creating normal maps etc, and sublime snippets.

19. Natvandrer

Natvandrer

Blender
    For my 3D models...the only 3D program I have bothered to learn.

Krita
    I prefer this for 2D art, as I find the interface a lot easier than Gimp, and has a lot of nice features...like it is easy to create seamless textures.

Trello
    I prefer this for planning. It is of great value to keep track of what i want in my game. An idea list, a ToDo list, a Doing list, a Done list and finally a Refactor list. The most important tool to me...a planning tool.

20. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah I prefer krita, I really wanna try out this blox2 though.

21. tedthebug

tedthebug

Hack'n' plan looks good, I'm thinking of giving it ago for my next game where I'm working with others. Sort of a souped up trello.

http://hacknplan.com