Search Unity

Your Favorite Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aastikya, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Aastikya

Aastikya

Hello people of Unity!

As the title suggests, I am here as a curious person wanting to know your Favorite Mobile Game.

Why do you like it? What do you wish it had more of?

Thanks!

P.S. Would love to know your stories about your first ever played game!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't like mobile games, I think they suck. I can probably mention FTL which is a desktop game with a mobile port, I liked that, so it qualifies.

I like it because it's a great and shorter experience I can pick up and drop at any time.

Buhlaine, dadude123, Fera_KM and 2 others like this.
  3. mysticfall

mysticfall

Clicked the title, intending to mention such games like Life is Strange, Mass Effect, Cat Lady, and such and realized it's about mobile games.

Sorry, I don't even own a smart phone and never have :p I have an iPad though, that my company gave me to test our mobile web page. However, I only used it to play ports of such classic PC games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, The Longest Journey, and so on, mostly out of nostalgia.

The first video game I enjoyed probably was Atari version of Pac Man, but what I recall with fond memories are such later titles like Loom, King's Quest, The Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacles, and etc.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Ony, EternalAmbiguity and Martin_H like this.
  4. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

I play exactly one mobil game. Clash of Clans. I had fun building and battling in the beginning but that wore off. The only reason I still play is for the people I play with. Ive gotten to know a few of our clan members well, one of em even spent a week at my house while traveling.

Galaga is the game I've played the most in my life I think. The arcade version of course. Our local pizza restaurant still has one tucked in a corner. To this day I can put a quarter in it while my wife orders pizza and walk away from it with lives left when its time to eat. The high score list proudly displays the initials ASS in every slot.:D

Aastikya and frosted like this.
  5. ZJP

ZJP

Amon, Ony and FrankenCreations like this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I don't play a lot of mobile games, but Clash of Clans is probably my favorite at the moment. What I like is the game seems designed for jumping in and out while waiting in line somewhere, optimal when you have only a few minutes a day to play.

A close second would probably be a tie between Hungry Shark Evolution and Zombie Gunship. Both are single player games that require at least 15 minutes of play time, but they have simple and intuitive controls and are pretty fun.

theANMATOR2b and Aastikya like this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I dont play mobile games anymore, but when I did I played mostly Lucas art games using ScummVM which works good on mobile since a mouse is easy to emulate with touch screen. Well, Full throttle worked bad becasue they used the mouse to control the motorcycle

MDADigital likes this.
  8. FMark92

FMark92

*inhales*
    Oh. Chess, I guess.

Aastikya, Ony, Ryiah and 5 others like this.
  9. ADNCG

ADNCG

Every weeks, after the App Store updates, I download all the titles that look appealing to me and study them for a bit. The thing is, every once in a while, I find myself keeping some of them and playing them when I have free time. That's how I know I should keep studying them.

The titles that I've ended up keeping lately were :
    Leap On! - I thought it was a really good high score chaser
    Space Frontier - I'm not yet sure why honestly. Something about developing to be able to go further, and being curious about what's going to happen next.
    Flippy Knife - I really liked their marketing/how their game was presented and I wanted to be able to learn as much as possible from them. Here's their trailer for the curious.
    Sling Kong - If I remember right, it was made by 2 aussies. The gameplay was not all that, for me at least, but jesus these guys polished the crap out of their reward system. There is SO MUCH to learn from their design. It was absolutely enticing.
    Rodeo Stampede - I liked the gameplay in general. I ended up playing a lot because I was curious about all the animals in the game and their powers. Also because of the feeling of progress when building my zoo.

Last one I forgot the name, it was a dungeon crawler but your hero navigated through the dungeons by himself all the time. All you could do was use your abilities. Honestly, I didn't like it at first, but it turned out being the game that I played the most.

It basically went like this : Your hero was strong enough to clear like 20 levels, then it got hard. You needed to teleport back to level 1, and your hero would get stronger every time you restarted, allowing you to push levels further every time.

Don't get me wrong, I can rationalize that those mechanics are cheesy and mind numbing, yet I felt compelled to play. I wanted to see how far I could push the character, and what the items from the deeper levels were. So curiosity and feeling of progress is probably what got me playing. Same as Space Frontier and Rodeo Stampede.

Tl; dr: I'm a sucker for a good feeling of progress and games that will feed my curiosity

theANMATOR2b and Player7 like this.
  10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I am going to say Mario Oddssey! This game really inspired me for ideas for my boss battles in my game.

11. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

So is this our cue to start talking about non-mobile games?

12. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

piano tiles... makes me feel like a great musician

Aastikya likes this.
  13. Ony

Ony

My favorite mobile game is when I'm out to dinner and the first person who takes their phone out to check it has to pay for the meal. I also like the game where I'm at the movies and someone checks their phone in the middle of it, so I throw something at them. That's a fun one.

14. Tzan

Tzan

-------------------------------
    Ha! you didnt say mobile game.
    My first computer game is technically the very first pong consoles that came out in the late 1970s.
    Next would be that StarTrek game on a very not mobile PDP11 at Wentworth. I played on the teletype machine, each turn was printed on paper, soooo much paper.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Ony likes this.
  15. aer0ace

aer0ace

I can't say it's my "favorite" mobile game, but I've been living and breathing Pokemon GO since the anniversary in July. I'll start off by saying I've never been a Pokemon fan. I started as a bandwagoner when GO came out. The game got stale for several months leading up to July. The game has changed dramatically since the early days, with the introduction of raids. The gameplay is still S***, but I've never met so many people so quickly in my life. I am seeing so many different personalities of all demographics, and every range of emotions: joy, elation, laughter, disappointment, anger, envy, confusion, attraction, jealousy, flirtation, manipulation, dominance, ego, introversion, offensiveness, danger, risk, adventure, excitement, peer pressure, mob mentality, fickleness, camaraderie, friendship, cooperation, deception, heartbreak, presumption, humility, loyalty, victory and defeat, and this can't even explain everything that I've seen. So, in a way, it's an interesting case study for me, the game developer, to analyze everyone's reactions to the game; the gameplay, the interactions, and the fiction. And in another way, it's like high-school drama all over again. I've never liked social games, but I've been drawn into it, mainly due to my significant other. We've gained friends, enemies, and S***loads of acquaintances that can sway one way or another.

Needless to say, my personal game development time has gone to zero. And instead of fighting against the urge to claw back into development, I'm taking this time to capture the moment of all these social interactions, because it also reminds me why we're making games. The games that you are making may not necessarily involve more than one player, but if a game can elicit these sorts of emotions from people, there's definitely something worth learning from it.

Aastikya and ADNCG like this.
  16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

17. Aastikya

Aastikya

Haha, sorry for the disappointment. I guess I should have just left it at that - Your Favorite Game

18. Aastikya

Aastikya

I find myself doing the same thing. As I am developing my new Mobile Game, I downloaded a lot of games and studied them. Almost every game stood out in some fashion - Marketing, Graphics, Gameplay, Concept. It's amazing how much work people put into it. However, I couldn't come across one that seemed to be Perfect for me.

I wouldn't lie but I think that's the best Game Trailer I have seen in months! Wow!

I recently read an article where a really successful developer(forgot his name) shared it story and market analysis. He said that the market has changed quite a lot - Instead of seeking Challenge, people look for exploration or curiosity; something that's easy yet fun because no one likes to lose. He studied his daughter's behaviour and came to conclusion.

19. Aastikya

Aastikya

Hahaha sounds rather fun! I have to start doing it

20. Aastikya

Aastikya

I am moved.

21. Aastikya

Aastikya

22. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

I don't know about mobile games, but my favorite game serials are Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria. They are all made by Paradox interactive studio. And I love total war serials. All of them :)

frosted likes this.
  23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

My favorite mobile games would be Monument Valley and Republique, I think. In both cases they felt like a natural fit to the devices they were played on, rather than games shoehorned and compromised to squash pre-existing designs into different devices, or simplified such that it didn't matter.

Also, unlike many other mobile games I've played, neither of those felt like a distraction, or as if they were designed to help fill time. They were both solid entertainment in their own right, which could definitely compete with the offerings on my PC and consoles if I were at home and deciding what to do for an evening. In particular, Republique is one of few mobile games I've played that achieved immersion and atmosphere on a similar level to good games on other platforms.

To be fair, there are probably plenty of other mobile games by now which have achieved similar. I haven't played a lot on mobile for quite some time, so I simply wouldn't be aware of them.

Buhlaine, theANMATOR2b and ADNCG like this.
  24. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Republique is actually now on Steam.

25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It might be on a console, as well.

26. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sword of Xolan has, hands down, the best mobile joystick controls I have ever experienced.
    Ultraflow is just badass! and has a great soundtrack and sfx. Probably one of the only minimalistic games I've ever enjoyed for more than 3 minutes, not minimizing the efforts of the developers.

27. Billy4184

Billy4184

The only game I play on my phone is Desert Golfing, for long boring train trips. I don't really consider a mobile phone to be good for anything much more complicated than that.

28. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

My favorite mobile title would probably have to be.... Monument Valley? Loved the visuals, the narrative and everything about it really. It's also a title that has a start and finish, in a mobile market that's heavily saturated with titles designed to keep you forever. If you haven't checked it out yet you should, its one of the only mobile titles I found myself playing at home.

I wish I knew this existed earlier, I feel like my life was wasted without mobile FTL.

The earliest memories of gaming I have would probably be replaying the first Vectorman level over and over without ever actually progressing..........

theANMATOR2b, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

@Buhlaine: I think there's also a mobile version of one of the X-COM games, which might interest you if you're into stuff that's a more gamer-oriented experience with an end point that happens to also work on a mobile.

Buhlaine likes this.
  30. Player7

Player7

Diep.io is probably my favorite mobile game.. in that its probably one of the few I go back to playing sometimes.

FTL is a game I always thought would get an even better sequel and it never did.

31. grimunk

grimunk

I still like pocket fleet. It was a web game ported to mobile... It's not a great game, but it's basic multiplayer with catchy mechanic. I did play galaxy on fire 2 on mobile, however that ended up being more of an effort to see if I liked gaming on mobile.

It turns out, that I don't like it very much. Big Games are just sooo much better.

32. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

My son and I played quite a bit of Puzzle & Dragons, sitting next to each other watching each other level up the characters and such. Beyond spending time with my son I don't think I enjoyed the game much, but because he liked it I played it for a good while.
    It was a novel concept to me at that time - not knowing/understanding the addictive nature of those types of games. The game didn't sink far enough to urge me to spend any money, but that 'option' loomed in the design.
    Neither my or my son has played another of those 'types' of games since then.

Buhlaine likes this.
  33. Amon

Amon

My Fav game of all time has to be Flimbo's Quest. You can find it and play it on what still is the Ultimate in tech, the Commodore 64.

It still spins the Spectrums jaw. Anyone saying otherwise, well, you don't want to go down those roads, trust me. I have a three week old trout, descaled, ready to slap you with.....^.^

34. Shiano

Shiano

I should tell clash of clan my favorite game.Now-a-days one of the best famous game and most one playing this. But i like mini militia more than clash of clan. Mini Militia is a great game to time pass with friends.The best thing about this game is you can't be bored to play this game 24/7.

35. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

When I was 6-7 yo my elder brother came home from a university for vacations and brought ZX Spectrum 48. This machine and dozens of its modifications were extremely popular in USSR in 80s and early 90s. You could buy one in a shop, at any radio-market or you could get a keyboard, a scheme, a bunch of raw components and build your own personal computer. If you couldn't or didn't want to buy a TV modulator to connect the computer to the TV set, you could just hack the TV set - sometimes it was the easiest way with better image quality.

So, the first game I ever saw and played was Atari Pole Position:
    Nothing special about it except that it opened a whole new world for me.

The first mobile platform I had was Soviet programmable calculator Electronica MK-61. Specs:
    - 105 byte long program
    - 15 memory registers
    - 4 stack registers

Since the Spectrum was my brother's computer and his university was in another city, I played games mostly on this calculator. The games could be found in different popular technical magazines.

For example: http://zhurnalko.net/=nauka-i-tehnika/tehnika-molodezhi/1985-08--num52

This one is a turn-based simulator of a small space shuttle for travelling around planets with no atmosphere. You write 3 input parameters into memory registers (thrust vector direction, amount of fuel to burn, time to burn it), run the program, and get the results: your horizontal and vertical positions and h/v speeds. The goal is to take off at point A, fly to point B and perform a safe landing as close to B as possible.

There were games like that for going into orbit, docking to an orbital station, travelling from münar lunar orbit to Earth and aerobraking and landing on Earth.

--
    As to modern mobile games, I just can't take them seriously. Tiny screens, defective controls, ads everywhere. PC games give me the best graphics and best overall experience, and that old MK-61 calculator gave me the best hardcore gaming experience. There's just no room left for modern mobile games.