Search Unity

Your desk & Unity ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GamerPET, Dec 9, 2017.

1. nomax5

nomax5

OMG I have The Lamp

I see it Now

The resemblance is uncanny

LoL that's amazing

2. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

You are missing out. I don't know how you do it ^^'. For me, Unity on it's own takes two screens. Working with less is frustrating.

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

People who manage to keep their desk/room so clean at all times slightly scare me, but at the same time I am envious a bit too.
    Did you ever have problems with that audio interface of it glitching out and making everything sound robotic and broken? I used to have an NI Komplete Audio as well and I had so much trouble with it, that I sold it. It seemed to be a somewhat common problem based on forum Posts. I then bought a Focusrite Scarlet Solo and never had that problem again.

4. yoonitee

yoonitee

But on a MacBook you can put Unity to full screen and MonoDevelop to fullscreen and Blender full screen and swipe three fingers left and right to go between them. Then the display is always in front of you. Then if you want you could put extra screens left and right and put images of graphs and stuff on them to make it look like you're working on something really complicated.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Economy of what you actually need. I don't actually need Unity to take up half the display once it's correctly configured, and I don't need visual studio to take up half either (it's the same amount of content wide or tall, as the monitor is wide and my code is such that if it's taking more than a screen I probably should refactor or collapse some blocks).

It's a 28" display at 2440p so there is quite enough estate to handle two programs at a time. If I need more, I'm being seriously inefficient because ideally you want to work with art + unity OR code + unity, you don't want to go art / code / unity / sound all at the same time. That's just not efficient even with 4 monitors because it makes no sense for a human to divide their own thinking in such a fragmented way.

By that reasoning, I probably don't need more than a well organised single desktop. And it's a pretty good approach that scales even to a laptop so I think I'll be alright for a while.

6. frosted

frosted

Thing I'm surprised about is that people are using those gaming chairs.

Are they actually any good? Like compared to mid quality office chairs in same price range?

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'm curious about this too.

The thing I'm most interested in is if they can be finely adjusted without things locking in only in preset intervals of angles or distances. I have a ~500+ Euro office chair and I'm rather unhappy with it, because I can't make fine enough adjustments. Everythings feels either too high or too low at the preset intervals that I can choose.

8. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Don't clean your desk, keep it real.

Here is a picture of my desk at work, including the lovely glare I have to deal with every morning :rolleyes:. Nothing fancy though.
    resizedimage.jpg

@Meltdown What keyboard is that? Looks slick.

9. artysta

artysta

I'm the one picture sitting in the chair. Here's why I like it. When I'm typing the seat back comes up very straight. When I'm using my Cintiq (like in the picture) I can actually move the seat back even more forward while I'm leaning into my desk. In the picture Im not doing that as I was just fixing a quick model. It has a hidden footrest under the chair and the back can lay down horizontal. So if I want to chill for 10min, I don't have to get up and lose my workflow. I find the seat a little hard, but I use a backbone style seat cushion so it really doesn't matter. The arms go all the way down low to fit under my work table. So for me, it was the complete reconfiguration of the chair that was the selling point, not how fluffy it was. My favorite part is letting the seat back actually move forward of verticle and give me some support even when modeling or drawing, it reminds me to sit up more, and Ive never had one of those mid-range office chairs stand up completely vertical with strong support when typing.
    EDIT: There is no presets, the chair back, arms, and seat are floating locks.

zombiegorilla and Martin_H like this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

With my smaller screens I like to have a full-screen Unity plus a full screen Visual Studio or something else (often looking at multiple code files at once, so half screen each for two files). So two screens is pretty good for me. I did have three for a while, but found the third didn't really add anything helpful at the time.

That said, recently I've been hankering for a third again because I'm deploying to and testing on devices that need their own screens. I didn't think that'd bother me, but my current screens take multiple seconds to switch inputs, and I can't keep my standard work/debugging/profiling setups and see/control what's happening on the deployed device. Plus, when you're sharing a screen between multiple inputs, popup windows seem specifically attracted to whatever screen isn't showing your PC at the time...

Martin_H and EternalAmbiguity like this.
  11. element_wsc

element_wsc

Looks like a corsair k70

Buhlaine likes this.
  12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Corsair Gaming K70 Rapidfire

13. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ha to be honest I did clean my desk a little for the picture. But yeah I generally do like to keep a clean desk with minimal clutter.

I never had that problem with my audio interface but I did have issues with it not being recognised on Windows 10, and I found using the older drivers fixed the issue. Every now and again if I plug in a USB device it can cause the interface to stop working but this hardly ever happens. Its a great sounding interface but yeah I'd probably go for a FocusRite or RME next time around.

Martin_H likes this.
  14. Meltdown

Meltdown

You can do this in Windows 10 as well.

Windows Key + CTRL + D - Add a desktop
    Windows Key + CTRL + Left Arrow/Right Arrow - Scroll through desktops

elmar1028 and angrypenguin like this.
  15. GamerPET

GamerPET

Multiple desktops is something that I still need to integrate into my workflow.

Speaking of "gaming chairs". Don't think them as gaming chairs really. That's mostly the marketing they went for. It's hard to tell to a "gamer" that he needs a correct position so his back didn't hurt. "OUR CHAIRS ARE APPROVED BY DOCTORS". Meh not cool.

But yea. I'm using my DXRacer King for the past 1 and a half year and it's still staying strong... and I'm a big guy. 125 kg. I can fit into it nicely. The back of the chair is wide enough to keep my back nicely. It Still holds a nice position depending on how I sit in it, if I lean forward or not.

But what's great about it is the fact that you can change the angle of the back, but also of the sitting cussion... so you can position it at 0 gravity something something. I forgot the name. But basically you set up the sitting part at an angle so your legs sit a bit up.

Attached Files:

Martin_H likes this.
  16. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

MacOS sill does this better more customizable and you don't have to switch desktops on all displays at once like you do in windows.

17. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

I'm slightly embarrassed about the dirty keyboard.

mydesk.png

18. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Dang you've got the fold away keyboard? Slick.

angrypenguin likes this.
  19. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Mine looks like a mess compared to the others :(
    IMG_20171220_170201376.jpg

hippocoder, GamerPET and Buhlaine like this.
  20. Martin_H

Martin_H

You have the biggest mousepad I've ever seen and yet the mouse itself only has a tiny amount of space to move on it, are you normally using it on the left side? I'm sure many people are curious about those brown ergonomics things. What are those and to whom would you recommend them?

karl_jones likes this.
  21. indevious

indevious

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Beast, my primary game development rig.

beast.jpg

Now, don't let the several layers of dust fool you. For within that rugged plastic chassis beats the heart of a lion:
    • Intel Core 2 Duo - that's two separate processors / cores. Twice the power!
    • 4GB RAM - that's your RAM, people. Use it to open up two tabs in Chrome, or load a Unity scene with up to 7 game objects. Stuff like that.
    • Intel graphics - the gold standard of visual largesse. If it runs on this, it'll run on anything (literally).
    • Only weighs 8 pounds when dry.
    For the grand finale, take a gander at that bottom-right corner (and try to contain your envy).

windows_vista_motherfucker.jpg

That's right. Your eyes are presently feasting on a genuine 2000s-era Windows Vista sticker attached to the chassis through some sort of far-future molecular annealing process we have yet to reverse engineer. It's thought to be essentially unremovable, making this a perfect laptop to take to a Starbucks, your next job interview, Unity meetup, or anywhere you want to score some technical street cred.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  22. Tzan

Tzan

I was looking for a stubbed out cigarette burn mark somewhere.

indevious likes this.
  23. Player7

Player7

oh jeez lol .. I don't want to believe you :)

Actually agree with this, I used to use multimon setup for years then went back to single display and was fine only recently went back to dual mon setup at home again. A good main display is fine, you just manage windows better, I rarely run any application fullscreen anyway, even alot of games I tend to run windowed now to utilize the surrounding space, instead of fullscreen unless competitive or storyline immersion. Usually have applications windowed at a size that is suitable and leave some screenspace around the edges to have other parts of an application positioned so the useful parts are visible.... all in all just quicker to switch to things when they are all infront of you, instead of on surrounding displays. When you add in another display I still end up using the main display that is infront of me anyway, extra displays just becoming dumping grounds for stuff that is either a distraction like media/websites/social or for things that are just useful to have visible but not used or looked at that much.

Of course it really helps to just have a main display that is high resolution, 1080p is getting small now and next setup for me is 1440p@ >60hz .. I just can't go back to 60hz.. at a min 75hz with really good color and then I might get over the slower refresh rate, so until those 1440p@>100hz displays start dropping in price so I can get two at the same time :D

indevious and hippocoder like this.
  24. GamerPET

GamerPET

Martin_H and karl_jones like this.
  25. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I usually shift the keyboard a little ;) I dont actually use that much space with my mouse though, guess I have a high sensitivity.
    The ergonomic things are pretty good although mine are a little flat now after prolonged use. I rest on my elbows a lot and it hurts so I need soft stuff to put my elbows on, like a big mouse pad and soft brown carpet :D
    This is them
    Anyone recommend something better? I used to use pillows but they got in the way!

26. Peter77

Peter77

Is this your desk at work or home? I would have imagined Unity Technologies being an open plan office.

27. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This is my home desk. I also have an office one :)

Peter77 likes this.
  28. Martin_H

Martin_H

Good size but I'd prefer it to be just black :).

I knew someone who used a folded towel for this. He said it helps him against carpal tunnel syndrome. And I think there are things that can be clamped to the desk directly to extend the surface you can rest your arms on over the edge of the desk.

A word of warning though: I used to have a chair with armrests, till I found out that they cause me pain in my hands from the armrests pushing too hard on nerves in the elbows (ulnar nerve). So watch out for that one. These nerve pains are very counterintuitive to fix, because they usually don't hurt where the actual cause is (in my case the cause was in the elbow and the pain in the lower arms and fingertips). Back then I only was able to deduce the cause because I thought it's RSI, took a break from work for a few days, and sat in the chair just watching TV shows with my arms on the armrests all the time, and the pain rapidly got way worse from that. Getting rid of the armrests luckily solved it for good for me.

karl_jones likes this.
  29. GamerPET

GamerPET

Lot's of girls do.

30. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Manager Unity Technologies

Here's my desk where I answer all your lovely questions :)

Lex4art, AlanMattano, Socks and 6 others like this.
  31. Ogien

Ogien

My workstation is very simple, no multiple monitors just a single 2015 MacBook Pro. This way I can unplug it and take it wherever I want which often includes a standing desk or just my living room couch :)

Socks likes this.
  32. Socks

Socks

33. artysta

artysta

Nice, you have color! mines only B&W.

Socks likes this.
  34. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Here is my current setup complete with my Woody Woodpecker "Got Coffee" mug and Max Payne mouse pad. Who knew that taking Organic Chemistry would become so useful later in life?

EternalAmbiguity, Tzan and Martin_H like this.
  35. Martin_H

Martin_H

GoesTo11 likes this.
  36. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Looks like your laptop could use a little Organic Chemistry as well.

37. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

That might work. I'll have to check those out.

The monitor and keyboard on the laptop almost never get used. I have the laptop hooked up to both monitors. The laptop has been my primary work computer over the past year. Now that I've updated my desktop, it will get more use. I can switch between the two by pressing a couple of buttons on the monitors and switching a usb cable located in front of one of the monitors. I used to use a mouse/keyboard switching software but it was a little buggy and did not save me too much time. I usually don't have the laptop keyboard set to the rainbow colours. I just did that for the picture. The RGB leds in the desktop are from the case, motherboard, memory and cpu cooler. They put them on everything these days. I usually keep the case leds off.

Off to the left, I have a third monitor, rift camera and a racing setup that includes a car seat from an Integra, racing wheel, pedals, and shifter. Unfortunately, it mostly just sits there these days.

38. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Is that the SF office?

39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Almost as glamourous...it's Brighton :D

40. CDF

CDF

setup.jpg

Don't really have a desk, but the office is pretty nice

41. GamerPET

GamerPET

I demand an update from everyone!!

42. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I went ahead and gave myself a treat and bought a mount arm for both my laptop and my main screen, so everything is on mount arms now. Easier to adjust whatever height I want or put them in portrait orientation if I felt like it.

43. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Mine doesn't look all that different from before...same 3 monitors...but I DID upgrade my chair, got the secretlab Omega several months ago. And yeah, I'm messy. 20180702_225746.jpg

44. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Att work I have two screens, but my home office were I work on my game only has one, seldom feel I need two. At work I switch alot between SQL management studio and VS. Also alot of complex bug reports fron the testing team makes it nice have the issue system on one screen while VS on the other. Etc

But in Unity I seldom miss it, sure sometimes it would have been nice to have a prefab up or something while working on the same monobehaviour in VS, but very seldom.

IMAG1708.jpg

45. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I moved rooms :D IMG_20180704_170137138_HDR.jpg

I also gained some mascots from my trip to Tokyo for Unite Asia earlier in the year. The bottom one is Unity chan! IMG_20180704_170503436.jpg

AnomalusUndrdog and AlanMattano like this.
  46. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

SoaringStars lab
    &
    TimeLine Deployment!

P1430264.jpg

Pc simple to upgrade and hot table where I cook drawings
    P1430299.jpg

Big desk-top configuration and cheap indirect natural sunlight from the roof

P1430306.jpg
    I sand and painted specular white the wall and the floor of a small room. I put a window on top of the roof to get cheap natural sunlight and soft shadows. The furniture is the chipset kitchen with no handles; handles made by using ropes. All white so that I do not need to turn on the light. The neon light is back to a big roof table area so that the shadows are occlusion type. I cat also a big table for the desktop. The Pc is old 1155 i7 2500K Oc in the furniture and simple to access from the top. In this way is faster to change upgrade GPU, SSD or HDD and simple to plug cables as for example VR. There is an old amplifier 7.1 and good speakers all around. The monitors are put at the same altitude of the eye. Are big as I can afford. One cheap 55' 4k TV; is important in this big size for the eye that the luminosity is low and for avoiding nausea that the refresh rate is greater than 60mhz. The HD left monitor is used for youtube tutorials so that that resolution does not consume too much internet band. I made an A3 sketchbook for the drawing of the game. The chair is a cheap one but I purchase a silicon bed pillow and turn it into two more ergonomic pillows.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Tom_Veg and karl_jones like this.
  47. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Solved the flat space issue. We converted the spare bedroom into a video recording studio and put all of the board games in there. That opened up space in the craft room to install a permanent work table. Installed a new table for sewing machines in the living room. The dining table has become my game development office. Dinner is still problematic, we have to dismantle someones work space every time we want to eat at a table, so typically we just eat on our knees in the living room. Laundry tends to get scattered in amongst everything else wherever it can find space.

Its not perfect. Ideally we would have another 50 m^2 or so of space so we could leave some bigger projects set up for the long term. Some of the larger costume or art pieces are a real pain to pull out and work on. And that's before we start setting up for VR projects. But its much better then it was last time I posted.

Here is a pic of the new recording studio.

Studio.jpg

angrypenguin and AlanMattano like this.
  48. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Wow you guys like the multi-screen set up eh.

My computer (27" iMac) is wider than my desk (about 24"), lol.

AlanMattano likes this.
  49. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

Nothing great yet. Going to replace the desk with a custom floating table top and add a second monitor. Just need some time to make it.

50. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

lol, now we want the picture!