Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Your 3d application with Unity is...

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by joacoerazo_legacy, Sep 10, 2006.

?

Your 3d application with Unity is...

1. Maya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cheetah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blender

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. C4D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 3ds Max

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lightwave

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Some people uses Maya on another OS (like me: Maya 6.5 Linux)
    this will be very usefull for otee's crew.

Regards!

2. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Sorry I don't know why the "other" doesn't appear.

3. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I generally use C4D, but occasionally I'll switch over to Maya to do things that Cinema can't... like high to low poly normal mapping.

4. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi deram_scholzara,
    You mean the "Trasfer Surface Information"? it is really strange for C4D since the first tutorial about Normal maps that I follow was one mado for it ( http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/normal.html ), I hope the new releases make that feature included in the package.

Regards

5. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Unfortunately, that method is really only useful for wall textures and the like.

6. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Bad for C4D, does the other (Blender and Cheetah) has that problem?

7. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

That method is only useful for walls/flat surfaces because it uses a simple Z depth channel method to create a bump map. To create normal/bump maps in tangent space you need something like the Surface Sampler in Maya.

8. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

God point aNTeNNa trEE.

9. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I mainly use Cinema 4D R9.1 wich works great in nearly all aspects together with Unity. Besides C4D zBrush2 is my favorite Hi-Poly Tool to create normal Maps for the Low-Poly-Models especially for characters.

10. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

I feel like Zbrush is like a tool to be used as a part of an another program, a few people use it alone

11. jeremyace

jeremyace

Softimage XSI

-Jeremy

12. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Yes, thats true. I also use it only to modify my cinema created meshes and then return to c4d with those excellent displacement maps. But there are lots of people who use it as a standalone and achieve results of awesome quality.

I guess the cross-usage with other apps happens mostly because of its unusual ways to create mesh. This will definatly change in 2.5 with those new surface tools. Maybe it will be possible to export fully textured and boned game-meshes out of zBrush. That would be great!

13. Marble

Marble

I rather like ZBrush's mesh generation method. ZSpheres feel more intuitive to me than lopping, chopping, and stretching from primitives, or other traditional techniques like NURBS. Of course, the topology can be bad, so like you I am very eager for ZB2.5. Actually, that's an understatement. I really can't wait.

"Mesh extraction" would make it so much more intuitive to add clothing to characters, also.

14. Morgan

Morgan

LightWave! But there's a daunting ocean of power in LightWave that I have yet to tap.

15. Matariki

Matariki

I use C4D and Modo. C4D integration with Unity is however considerable better at the moment. I just prefer modo as a modeler as it work better for me than c4d's modeler.