Search Unity

Fixed: You seem to be offline - Can't download stuff through Package Manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by DFEnter, Feb 1, 2021.

1. DFEnter

DFEnter

Hello!

The "You seem to be offline" issue is driving me crazy. I use Unity versions 2019 and 2020 (I have never used any other ones) in which I get the "You seem to be offline" when using the Package Manager. If I want to download a package from the Asset Store in version 2020, I must use the website. When I go to the website I am able to add any asset to My Assets normally. If I click on Open In Unity, the Package Manager opens but I cannot download it because the download button is disabled since "You seem to be offline" disallows it. In the 2019 version, when I click on Download in the Package Manager to an asset, then I get a red banner at the top saying "No internet connection".

My work around for downloading assets from the Asset Store is to open a project in version 2019, go to the Asset Store in the Editor, and then through My Assets download the package I want. Once they are downloaded through the Asset Store tab, then I can go to Package Manager and Import to project.

I have tried so much stuff trying to fix this. I have followed so many suggestions. And nothing seems to work (nothing from the thread "**READ ME FIRST** Troubleshooting connection/loading project issues with Package Manager" helped). Also, tried running the PM Diagnostics and get an error with that, too. That should be another thread probably. I will include a screenshot for that as well.

Here are some screenshots for proof:

"You seem to be offline" on Package Manager
    Unity You Seem to Be Offline BS.png

Downloading asset through Asset Store tab on version 2019 Unity You Seem to Be Offline BS downloading.png

Asset downloaded Import enabled on Package Manager
    Unity You Seem to Be Offline BS import pm.png

Running Package Manager Diagnostics with error
    Unity Package Manager Diagnostics Script BS.png

upm-diag.log with error log
    Unity Package Manager Diagnostics Log BS.png

Please, help.

Michoko likes this.
  2. DFEnter

DFEnter

This is what it says on the red banner at the top when I click on Download on the Package Manager. But as you can see, images for the asset load from the web normally. Not sure what the problem is, at all.

Unity You Seem to Be Offline BS import.png

sabihakhatoon286 likes this.
  3. DFEnter

DFEnter

Just tried doing this on a new project on version 2021 beta. Same thing... I seem to be offline, but with the Asset Store of 2019 I am able to download assets and then the appear on any other version.

4. wardler

wardler

SOLUTION:

Start > run > services.msc

Network List Service > Enable / set to automatic

I had always turned this service off and it causes great difficulty with modern applications. With it turned off Windows Update, Microsoft Store, Microsoft Teams, and now I have discovered Unity, all have network problems. With the setting turned off on my machine the Network Status Settings console would crash every time I opened it.

I hope this solves your problem, because it caused me great difficulty, because I am already very new to Unity and don't know what I am doing.

I found your post while looking for a solution myself. Once I had figured out it was the same problem I had earlier this year on my work machine with Microsoft Teams I just had to think about what I did to fix it. I circled back around to your post in hopes that this helps you.

5. DFEnter

DFEnter

Let me check it out right away. I'll get back to you asap. Thanks, you gave me hope!

6. DFEnter

DFEnter

Even though mine was on Manual trigger, it was actually running. However, I set it to automatic and shut down and turned back on with no result. Then I tried restarting the PC (in case Windows fast boot was screwing up as usual even though I have it off on my laptop ugh), and still not luck. =S

Thank you so much, though!

wardler likes this.
  7. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @DFEnter

I'm really sorry you're having problems with Unity and the Package Manager. Could you please report a bug with the Bug Reporter (Help > Report a bug) and make sure to attach the Editor.log file? This can help us understand why this is happening. If you already submitted one, please share with us the case number.

8. DFEnter

DFEnter

Will do!

9. DFEnter

DFEnter

The bug report number is: Case 1316249

supita_unity likes this.
  10. Michoko

Michoko

Just encountering the exact same issue. The only thing I can think of is that I have a high latency internet connection (through satellite). Could it be due to a time-out value that is too short, and the package manager believes it is offline? Right now I'm downloading my assets (including updates) through Unity 2019 Asset Store window, as suggested above. I really hope this issue will be fixed soon, as it is a pain to use an old version just for package management. Cheers! :)

DFEnter likes this.
  11. jhughes2112

jhughes2112

I had this same problem Fiddled with it for a half hour or so, and got nothing out of the logs or digging through forums. So... I noticed that Windows had been showing a "No Internet" globe with a slash through it for the past week. My internet was fine, I assure you, but WINDOWS thought differently. Just for kicks, I opened up my Network Connections window and right-clicked on one of the network bridges and Disabled it (yes, I have a complicated network config--don't ask). Instantly, the little icon in the Windows Tray says I have internet again (I always did), and immediately the "Sorry You're Offline" also went away. When I right-clicked and Enabled the same connection, things kept working as they should, so it's just a bug in the network getting a status wrong.

If this sounds like you, it might be worth disabling some connections and re-enabling them. Or ask nicely and have Unity change the way it decides you're offline to actually check for connectivity to the store rather than believe the network driver.

12. Johannski

Johannski

Had the same issue, but could resolve it with the information of this thread. The problem for me was that windows had the no internet globe as described by others, even though I had internet.
    The problem came from using a custom NCSI, which I set with WindowsSpyBlocker. While Debian NCSI did not work for me, switching to Firefox NCSI settings solved my problem after a restart.

elderyc777 and DFEnter like this.
  13. DFEnter

DFEnter

I went digging through the NCSI configuration the day you sent this message and made it point to the Firefox NCSI service and it didn't work. Today, out of the blue thought about it again and back went to check again. Suddenly, I noticed EnableActiveProbing was 0. I changed it to a 1 and restarted the computer... It works now... Why would Unity use Microsoft's NCSI when they could just ping their own servers? Seriously...

Thank you, Johannski. You rock!

az238, elderyc777 and Johannski like this.
  14. Johannski

Johannski

Awesome! No, thank you for opening the thread. Without its information I would probably still search for a solution. :)

DFEnter likes this.
  15. Michoko

Michoko

Hey guys, I had missed replies in this thread. But it is indeed pointing in the right direction, as this "globe" icon in the system tray is definitely related to this. For some reason, Windows thinks that my internet connection doesn't work, even if it does. I did some research on the internet and tried to apply some fixes, but none of them bring a permanent solution (sometimes, when I tweak my connection parameters, the globe icon suddenly disappears, and everything works as normal, including the Unity Package Manager. But if I restart my PC, the issue appears again). It seems to be a known Windows bug, as documented here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...pdate-free-windows-10-update/?sh=3571a3171e24

At least, if Unity devs want to spare them some trouble, they may want to check connectivity through another method, like a simple ping, for example.

16. unity_FFAF2EA2AABA7E1184F5

unity_FFAF2EA2AABA7E1184F5

same issue with me lso

17. unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

I hate Unity more from day to day. To be so stupid and dependent on windows services, media features etc, thinking whole world running around Unity and Windows - I just cant explain my feelings, I should move from this ridiculous engine and forget as nightmare.

qzv and karonte like this.
  18. starman63

starman63

Well I'm here to say that I'm on the Mac and I have the same problem. It has none of those Windows services or issues, but the PM issue is the same. All internet services working perfectly on the Mac.

19. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

If you've tried everything in the pinned thread regarding connection issues, then I'd suggest filing a bug report going forward.

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

20. kazelone

kazelone

This is old but if you're still here;
    Does it show as started? It might be not starting because a dependant service is disabled, like Network Awareness Service.

21. Risine

Risine

FFS, this bug has been here for more than a year, and Unity hasn't corrected that yet?

22. pribnuts

pribnuts

I am not sure if this will help, but if you have a VPN, you may need to add a split-tunnel for the Unity and Unity Hub process(es) (1 exception for each version of Unity), disconnect and reconnect your VPN, and then restart Unity. That fixed my issue. While I don't like split-tunneling personally, this did at least isolate and resolve the issue for me.

23. OrcBladeMaster

OrcBladeMaster

IN 2022. THIS BIG bug is Still in there.
    ye, you seem to be offline.
    full your mouth and you must drink it with your tears

yesterday it is good,and you don't know is it good today

24. vVika01

vVika01

I still have this issue. Windows 10 says I have an internet connection, but I am still running into the "You seem to be offline" message.

Doing the "services.msc" fix mentioned above by wardler, helped remove the "No Connection" problem, but even if I reset my Unity, I still run into this issue.

25. drjfgi

drjfgi

same problem on Mac.. what a load of rubbush

26. amanat7

amanat7

Thank you this solved my problem.

27. pointcache

pointcache

This is not a solution as no other application has any problems connecting to the internet.
    In my case the problem happens due to active vpn. Unity has all kinds of issues with vps.
    First i abandoned nord vpn due to issues, now PIA has this issue, why can't unity just use normal ways to doing things, that work for literally every other application on my machine.
    Literally unity is the only one who has troubles.

Can anyone from Unity shed a light on why do we have to experience this?

28. brisingre

brisingre

This is happening to me whenever I try to use Unity while using my VPN.

29. Cam_Fox

Cam_Fox

Was getting the "You seem to be offline" bug tonight on my Win 10 in Unity 2020.3.24f1

The fix for me was to go to Network Connections in control panel, right click my adapter, disable, wait a few seconds, reenable. Fixed the Windows network globe icon and Unity package manager immediately.

Extra detail for anyone at Unity trying to fix this bug:

I had the internet icon with a globe meaning windows needed to reprovision something in my connection. Internet itself was working fine. I verified that Network Service List was running in services.msc and even tried restarting the process to no avail. Closed and reopened Unity and the package manager but did not do a full system reboot.

Package manager displayed the following behavior:
    • Could still
      • switch package lists in the dropdown.
      • see all of my previously downloaded assets in My Assets.
      • click import for packages already downloaded.
    • Could not
      • click or type in the search box. (!) Why would this be dependent on an internet connection for filtering local packages in My Assets?
      • click download for new assets package manager was pulling up in the visible part of the list.
    • Package manager WAS CONNECTING to Unity servers and displaying store previews of highlighted assets, assets that need to be updated, letting me load 25 or 100 more etc. It even showed a few new ones I bought today! So it was using the internet even though it said it was not connected...
    Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    flashmandv and Loveporridge like this.
  30. wechat_os_Qy05kKwjU8-_-wWurmri4XDOY

wechat_os_Qy05kKwjU8-_-wWurmri4XDOY

Thanks! it works for me!

31. browne11

browne11

One package called Version Control was causing all the fuss for me. Updated that and all the errors and offline crap went away.

32. elderyc777

elderyc777

Thank you for infos. It works well for me.
    I want to share what did I do:
    run regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    Find: "EnableActiveProbing"
    Set: "0" to "1"
    Here is the hero of the day form me :)
    Thank you Johannski and DFEnter!

LoneDev6 and cficara like this.
  33. slick3d

slick3d

Yeah. The same problem. None of the above "solutions" have worked for me.

34. innominata

innominata

I had a virtualbox host only network network in my network connections. I disabled it and viola, package manager works.

35. DerDicke

DerDicke

Same Problem. Downloading stuff from Package Manager is a gamble. Never had this problem with Asset Store. And never had them with earlier Unity versions (prior to 2021). So they got it right once and bugged it.

36. DerDicke

DerDicke

At least I found a way around the bug. Use Unity 2019 (not devastated by package manager) and download as normal by Asset Store Window.

37. CorWilson

CorWilson

Unfortunately it's still offline on earlier versions of Unity after I checked. Currently, I'm unable to download any of my assets from the store, which has effectively stalled my development.

qzv likes this.
  38. cficara

cficara

I love you <3. This was the solution for me.
    I think it was my bad, as I used WinTweaker in the past. Looks like it disabled pinging to Microsoft services. Thank you!

39. socialtrens

socialtrens

I need to use VPN for package manager to work again. This is ridiculous.

40. dadadies

dadadies

I assume its an unspoken anti VPN issue that is not talked about or addressed because it is a design. The only way for me to confirm this is to have internet without VPN but I don't have internet unless through a VPN so I cant confirm. Open Hub doesn't work either.

41. shiki_2022

shiki_2022

upload_2023-1-5_10-31-18.png

I worked in a enterprise and use VPN, Intranet .How to solve it?

42. Rickbphila

Rickbphila

Turing Norton VPN off solved this issue for me in March 2023

43. eeaton2

eeaton2

In my case, the problem was that I had an ethernet cable that wasn't working. Because of this, when Unity asked windows if there was internet, windows said no even though I had Wifi connection.

The solution in this case was to unplug the ethernet cable.

Cam_Fox likes this.
  44. unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

Maybe Unity should just stop to check connection by using Windows services and use their instead?
    Its like check if left arm broken looking on the right leg.

45. sucesshack

sucesshack

also i meet this question.when i changed my computer's DNS(use 8.8.8.8) address, package manager can download.my network use a bypass routing,it runing on my Computer's Vmware,whatever,vmware network card enable or disable is does's matter