Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

You know that thing where people constantly blame Unity for poor graphics, etc?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master-Frog, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

@gian-reto-alig for me the game experience is totally connected to the story/setting, I can't find myself interested for example in card or board games with a couple of exceptions like chess. It's all about the sense of immersion and drama, and having agency as a player is simply a way to feel closer to that reality.

If I want an abstract sense of accomplishment, I have no problem doing maths or physics, or programming for that matter, it's a much less cluttered way to have that kind of experience. Games on the other hand are about story and drama to me.

It's a good point about cutscenes, I always thought that I liked cutscenes until I realized that I only liked them while watching them on youtube - in the game they're frustrating. What I really enjoy, especially from playing Knights of the Old Republic recently, is the ability to find pieces of the story when I want to, by strolling around and engaging with npcs or exploring. It's a way to not only give the player that story and information but make them actively invest in searching for it.

In terms of railroading, I think Call of Duty (the single player campaign in my opinion is very high quality) does a fantastic job of making you follow a narrow path without making you feel like disconnected from the wider game world. Using dramatic, timed events around you it makes you follow the path in a way that's coherent with feeling like you're in control - you do it not so much because the game physically restricts you to the path, but because events themselves restrict you to the path. I think it's a great case study of realizing in what way players enjoy their experience being controlled.

2. Ironmax

Ironmax

3. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Good point... I soon found out that the standart shader had a lot of issues. Been using the UBER Shaders now... got them some while back, decided to give them a try, and they work perfectly. All the issues I had with the standart shaders are fixed, and they have additional features.

I guess again that is just the age old issue that Unity should rather concentrate on the low level engine tech, and let thirdparty devs take care of the higher level one like shaders and stuff.

Initially I disliked the railroading of CoD... but at some point I got actually used to it, all the while enjoying the great cinemativ feel they could realize in the games thanks to knowing exactly where the player is at a certain point in the game.
    Its actually pretty similar to about every other FPS game I played, save some let you stroll around more, which tend to give you a more open feeling (while still being pretty constrained in reality), but also happen to have bigger problems with making the expierience feel cinematic.

Halo comes to mind, which also has its fair share of cinematic moments, but AFAIK never in the density of a CoD.

Yes, I do like having a good story. That is why I hardly ever played western RPGs while being a huge JRPG fan. The blank-slate characters of the western ones, and the often more "open world" feel just never appealed to me that much.
    And I have to confess I don't think JRPGs have very good gameplay at all. I utterly hate the random battles, and often even bossbattles are boring as hell. Rest of the game is often a dumbed down mishmash. I do put up with it for a good JRPG story with great characters every day of the week.

So I can somehow understand how its something similar with people addicted to good graphics playing mediocre games for the sake of enjoying the graphics.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Ryiah, GarBenjamin and Ironmax like this.