Search Unity

You Inherit/Won $50 Million After Taxes... How Does This Change Your Game Development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarBenjamin, Jun 1, 2015.

?

If You Suddenly Received $50 Million After Taxes What Would You Do?

1. Focus Even More On Making Games While Hiring Contractors To Help With Content Creation & Programming

27 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Spend Less Time Making Games And More Time Doing Whatever I Want To Do

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Start A "Real" Game Company And Hire A Full Team To Bring My Ideas To Life

39 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. wccrawford

wccrawford

Like some others, I'm picking the missing choice "quit my job and work fulltime on gamedev". It's not that I *couldn't* right now, but it wouldn't be financially responsible to make my wife the sole breadwinner. With $50mil, though, I'd do whatever I wanted.

Actually, I'd probably start a consulting gig on the side, too, since I actually like that, except for the uncertainty of where my next project is coming from and if I'll like it. With no money worries, I could afford to only take interesting projects, gamedev or not.

Ryiah likes this.
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

You don't need $50 million to do that...

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

I would keep working on my game and get some of the artwork polished up, hire another programmer to do all the dirty work, hire a marketing expert, and spend $1 million on user acquisition to make sure the game shoots up to the top of the charts.

kittik likes this.
  4. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I buy a yacht. With a helicopter pad. And umm... a game development studio on lower deck.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  5. XCO

XCO

Ide keep making games for the IOS and Droid but also would hire a team of people and begin making consoles games!

dogzerx2 likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

With $50 million you could build your own console platform. :p

XCO likes this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Easy tiger. 50 million doesn't go that far. :)

wccrawford likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm primarily thinking something on the level of the Ouya. It had a Kickstarter funding of $8.5 million.

Kiwasi likes this.
  9. wccrawford

wccrawford

It depends on how you look at it. If the goal is just to build a console, it can be done for a lot less than $8mil.

If the goal is to build a *successful* console, it's going to need more than the $50mil. And I'd bet most of that money doesn't go into the OS or hardware, either.

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, I'd expect most of the money to be put into promoting the console.

11. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I think it'd take way more than $50mil if you want to compete directly with the established market. But not so much if you have something original (and affordable).

Ouya is not a terrible concept, but too many flaws. User might be better off buying an adapter for TV and controller to use with phone, plus it'd have all Android games available, not just Ouya ports.
    And even if Ouya succeed, anyone can instantly offer something better, because that kind of "standard" tech gets better and more accessible every year.

Instead of a console, it would be easier to think of a super new controller... the challenge is to create something that either works with current games, or it's so fun and affordable that new content will come naturally (easier said than done).

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

No matter how much money I ever make, Quality of life has always been more important to me than any monetary value. I would probably put that money to good work. I'd still make games and work on projects n' stuff. I would still have dreams and things I wanted to do. And I would still pursue them!

Gigiwoo likes this.
  13. wccrawford

wccrawford

Like the new Steam controller and Steam Link, then? You get all your PC games, many of which don't work well on a standard gamepad but *will* work on the new Steam one, and still get to sit in front of your TV... Without moving the big, hot, noisy PC to the living room.

I've been streaming to the living room via a laptop with Steam and it's been good, but I'm very much looking forward to the Steam Link box and new controller.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  14. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Where's the option for "Continue doing exactly what you're doing."?

Kiwasi likes this.
  15. yoonitee

yoonitee

I think for the first few weeks it'd all be foreign holidays.
    Then I'd realise that I'd get bored during 9-5 most days when everyone else was at work.
    So then I'd find all the brightest minds and try to develop a fully conscious robot.
    Well you've got to have a hobby. :D

XCO and dogzerx2 like this.
  16. goat

goat

No, of course not. I mess around with Unity for the art part and game play not to make millions.

I'd spend $50,000,000 on blueprints for housing that was natural disaster resistant using bamboo or carbon fibre. Habitat for Humanity and Red Cross have embarrassed themselves. I'd pay 2 or 3 independent architects, material engineers, physicists design it as I wouldn't want to be hoodwinked by some lazy student googling existing plans in various libraries. Then I'd leave the plans online for anyone to use.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  17. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Best laid plans of mice. Well the lottery corporation picked the wrong numbers again. Those guys need to be fired. On to plan B. I'm reading the 4-hour work week so I will soon be making $40,000 per month working 4 hours per week. I have no need for the lottery anymore.

18. yoonitee

yoonitee

I bought a lottery ticket once. Sometimes I think about that other Yoonitee in a parallel Universe who won £1 million. I feel sorry for him. He wasn't ready for that level of responsibility. He spent the money spending self publishing books claiming he found the secret to the Universe. Later he realised he made a terrible mistake and went into hiding. :( Poor guy.

19. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

I would buy all the titles I love and modify or 'get' them modified to make them even more fun.
    I could also fund the function CreateGame()

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  20. Aldo

Aldo

I would actually buy a kick ass laptop (for gaming XD), do whatever I want and at least 20% of my time would go to prototyping or accepting interesting projects. I really don't need to finish the game I just love the challenge to if I can solve the problem.

21. darkhog

darkhog

Start "real" game company (I assume OP meant AAA studio). The thing is I have pretty much like 16 games designed, 4 of them even have prototypes and 1 (least ambitious) is in production now, but most of them would require big budget. Not on scale of GTA V, of course, but big nevertheless. Maybe Witcher-sized budget.

22. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Awesome I just made the function CreateGame()... here's the source
    void CreateGame()
    {
    Debug.Log("Function Working);
    }
    :p

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Samuel411 and GarBenjamin like this.
  23. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I get 'unexpected symbol :, expecting {' and 'parsing error'

Can you please rewrite the entire source code for this project in red font for me? But use green ink please. :)

GarBenjamin, Yash987654321 and Aldo like this.
  24. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I can do it but not with green ink. How about invisible ink:

Code (csharp):

Kiwasi likes this.
  25. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

I cannot write it in red font and green ink but i rewrote the whole function and now it's working! :)
    Looks like I should sell this in asset store :p

Kiwasi likes this.
  26. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

If you win lots of money, don't be like this guy who got pranked -

Samuel411 likes this.
  27. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I'd have an entire office/studio that consisted of minecraft themed furniture, best of everything pc wise, and something tells me I'd suddenly have lots of people wanting to be my friend and bringing me game ideas... so, do some of that action, but get the final say in everything hahahahaha

GarBenjamin likes this.
  28. darkhog

darkhog

Well, I won't have to make KS/IGG.

29. Pix10

Pix10

Start->Shut Down.

I'd never look at a computer again in my life.

If I still felt the desire to make pretty things, I make take up pottery.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  30. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I tell you what I'd do! Make two games at the same time, man!

[/Mike Judge Reference]

GarBenjamin likes this.
  31. Samuel411

Samuel411

I'd put away 8 million to so I'd be able to live comfortably for the rest of my life and leave some for my children. Probably keep ~2 million and start a game studio. With the rest I'll donate it to local inspired students that want to go to college but cannot afford it. I'd be living a really good life!

GarBenjamin likes this.
  32. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

You can do that right now, without winning $50 million.

Frpmta, GarBenjamin and Master-Frog like this.
  33. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Hah inorite

They're hiring at your local burger joint

34. TheCodez

TheCodez

I think I would donate 25 million to some charities and keep the other 25 million. I'm also a pilot so I would buy my self a nice airplane (something fast!), a decent house, set 15 million on the side to save (or use for everyday life stuff and sending kids to college), and the rest use to start a small game studio.

Oh yea and I would buy a pet Walrus.

35. kanga

kanga

I've thought about this in the past :) I would start a small studio and fill it full of fresh graduates and interns (everyone would have to get their own coffee). I'd have people cycle through the place with between one and two year stretches. There would be no age limits just enthusiasm minimums. People starting out would get experience (paid) and something in their resume. I think the only thing better than making games is making games amidst bright motivated people.

Kiwasi likes this.
  36. tatoforever

tatoforever

With 50 millions I won't solve humanity problems but I will certainly start creating games that have real value to my fellow human beings.

37. srmojuze

srmojuze

This ^^

38. Teo

Teo

You don't need 50mil for that :)

Kiwasi likes this.
  39. Archania

Archania

How else am I going to pay for the high speed Internet and cable tv?

40. darkhog

darkhog

You must live in really bad country then, @Archania. Both (as in, complete package), maxed out can be had here in poland for about 145 PLN (less then 40 bucks) per month. Including landline as a bonus.

41. GreenBoxInteractive

GreenBoxInteractive

Set myself up the the essentials - house, car.

Get my own office, employ some people.

Fund some Indies with promising ideas.

42. Frpmta

Frpmta

Buy reviews :D

43. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Buy Unity Technologies :)

randomperson42 likes this.
  44. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Would that be enough?