Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

You Inherit/Won $50 Million After Taxes... How Does This Change Your Game Development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarBenjamin, Jun 1, 2015.

?

If You Suddenly Received $50 Million After Taxes What Would You Do?

1. Focus Even More On Making Games While Hiring Contractors To Help With Content Creation & Programming

27 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Spend Less Time Making Games And More Time Doing Whatever I Want To Do

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Start A "Real" Game Company And Hire A Full Team To Bring My Ideas To Life

39 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This past weekend I was asked what I would do if I ever won the lottery and received $50 milion after taxes.

There were several things in my answer and near the top was "start a game company that creates games unlike those we normally see!"

That made me wonder how others here would react in the same situation.

So the question is simple... if you received $50 million after taxes (from lottery, inheritance, whatever) how would that change your interest and time spent on game development?

2. Jamster

Jamster

Dunno... Give me $50 million and we'll find out ;)

3. Archania

Archania

For 50 million in my pocket. I would be gone. Time for that cabin in the woods of a small town. Drink coffee on the porch in the morning and be glad I don't have to do anything I don't want to.

ChrisSch, Joviex, chingwa and 8 others like this.
  4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah with 50 million bucks Id do pretty much the same thing im doing now (idling the time away). Only I wouldnt have to care if my games made no money.

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Does that mean you'd spend less time, more time on game dev? Or maybe there should be another option... wouldn't change anything regarding game dev?

6. Whippets

Whippets

I'd be dev-ing from a large mansion rather than a pokey little room

angrypenguin and GarBenjamin like this.
  7. SLASH24

SLASH24

hi, life is expensive nowadays, living has a high cost. but I believe that $50 millions is a great amount so, I would do the things I would like to do, not particularly game making...
    most importantly, I would take the time to live and spend my life the way I want, and try to take wise decisions on how to spend my new money, first I would use it to give myself an employment/job (as I'm unemployed):
    - by maybe creating my own activity, company, or as freelance in the domain of computers, programming; (or something totally different: I love music, I love arts and drawing so maybe be an artist)
    - or by studying in order to graduate and find a place in a company (now, I target a web dev diploma, as I don't have it right now);
    - or keep on searching a job, but it would be different with that cash, because with the money I could move to locations were there more opportunities ...

Game making would still be a hobby I believe. the only thing is that I like programming, and I no longer play games, but appreciate the challenge of making one ! so if I could be a game programmer / designer I would be happy but It would not be the most important... I'm here because I love programming, it's the "art of thinking" to me; making video games: OK but making websites with great design and functionality : OK too !! making an innovating app (not game related)? OK too !

I don't need nor want to stay in the particular case of video games.

the good thing is that one isn't obliged to make video games with Unity cause there are many different applications of this engine : architecture, advertising, augmented reality, communications and many things that don't already exists but will be in a future ; I hope and believe !

Spend Less Time Making Games And More Time Doing Whatever I Want To Do... but never leave my fav 3d/2d engine !

GarBenjamin likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Starting an actual studio is the closest in your list for me. Actual size would be dependent on how much interest I'd get from interest off banking/investments.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. Ony

Ony

buh. bye.

ChrisSch, Joviex, Archania and 2 others like this.
  10. frosted

frosted

Man, I'd be way, way lazier.

ChrisSch, judah4, Ony and 2 others like this.
  11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Feel free to suggest more options. I tried to keep it pretty narrow just in the interest of focus and I know things are not often so "black and white" as they say.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Right. I suspect most people would simply live off the interest and develop projects, whether game or otherwise, as they were interested in them. Essentially the same as notch.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I think I'd spend about the same amount of time on game dev. I think it would stay a hobby.

I'd probably end up donating a ton of money, and then spend the rest of my days as a missionary.

Unfortunately if it happened today I wouldn't need to quit my job. Employer took care of that detail on Friday. So unless someone has a ton of cash to give to me I'll be spending time looking for work rather then waiting for 50 million dollars.

14. randomperson42

randomperson42

Some combination of option 1 & 2...

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. StarManta

StarManta

You know, you probably only need a couple hundred thousand to do that particular retirement dream...

Ony likes this.
  16. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That sucks as far as uncertainty of income is concerned. On the bright side sounds like a perfect time to reinvent yourself and revisit some old dreams! Good luck!

Kiwasi and Ony like this.
  17. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I doubt I would still do it. I might.. but I expect I would go and do a bunch of other stuff first.

Ony and GarBenjamin like this.
  18. elmar1028

elmar1028

I will become next Notch!

GarBenjamin likes this.
  19. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I wouldn't change what I do at all. I program because it's what I love to do, and I can't think of anything else that I would rather do. I imagine that I will be programming as long as I am physically and mentally able to, up to the day I die, regardless of money. One thing I would likely do, though, is not work for other people and only work on my own projects.

20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Buy assets from Unreal's asset store :rolleyes:

21. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Tomnnn would be the biggest asset flipper.

GarBenjamin and Ony like this.
  22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

LOL Asset Arbitrage... the next big thing! :)

23. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Haha I was just poking fun at the difference in price between unreal assets and unity assets in their markets. I don't really use the asset store, except for that one time I bought playmaker to see what visual programming was like. I don't like it. $50 (on sale) well spent to determine that.

When I hear 'asset flip' now I just think of that sad video from Jim Sterling :c

GarBenjamin likes this.
  24. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Imagine the level of trolling a millionaire could do on steam.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You could always buy an immigration visa into a small country. Run the worlds largest piracy server from there. Then when the US government tries to extradite you, you buy the local media to turn every jury in your favour. You can even buy a minor political party and run for prime minister on a platform of free internet and piracy for everyone. Just pick your political partners carefully, the wrong political partner can seriously destroy your brand appeal.

Bonus points if anyone can name the millionaire that just did all of the above.

GarBenjamin and Tomnnn like this.
  26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are you talking about Kim Schmitz the founder of MegaUpload?

Kiwasi likes this.
  27. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Kim Dotcom.

lol.

Kiwasi likes this.
  28. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Really good timing on this. Coincidentally, I'm planning on winning $50 million dollars after taxes this weekend. I will spend more time on developing my games but I also have some ideas for hardware that I want to work on.

Not_Sure, GarBenjamin, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  29. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Spread it among family and friends cause I'm not a selfish bastard like the rest of you. ;)

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

I'd retire to the Cayman Islands and scuba dive all day.

I guess in the evening I might play a game or something... probably not.

GarBenjamin, JamesLeeNZ and Ony like this.
  31. Blacklight

Blacklight

I'd become an ideas guy.

32. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I would hire two more programmers and an artist to start with. And get this project I've been working on for years off the ground.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  33. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

Game development almost feels like my destiny. I absolutely love doing it. I'd take the money and hire contractors, so I still maintain my sense of freedom doing what I want from home. I'd make larger games hoping to make a good return, and invest in future tech of other companies and continue saving. Of course I'd buy a few needed things, like a sweet house, a car, and such. I'd probably help fund games for others too.

Ryiah, randomperson42 and GarBenjamin like this.
  34. NomadKing

NomadKing

Time to start work on my MMOFPSRPG Action Adventure Puzzle Platformer!

ChrisSch, elmar1028, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  35. Kryger

Kryger

I would put one million aside for myself and use all the rest into one really huge game with a lot of content. Maybe a scifi rpg with lots of planets to visit.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  36. RichardKain

RichardKain

I'd spend five or six hours a day working on my game development, and the rest of the time I would spend with my family and working on all of my other projects. (including occasionally playing some of my game collection) As far as I'm concerned, the best thing that money can buy me is time. I wouldn't be overly concerned about building my game faster, or bigger, or better. I would just be grateful for more time to spend on it.

37. randomperson42

randomperson42

This.

XGundam05 and GarBenjamin like this.
  38. XGundam05

XGundam05

$50 million after taxes? Buy a house (with office space), set up several college funds for future kids, retire immediately and work on games more by myself. Not entirely certain what I'd do with the leftover $44 million though :)

39. RichardKain

RichardKain

Invest it in low-risk mutual funds and live off the interest for the rest of your natural life. With that kind of money you would probably be knocking down close to $100,000+ per year in interest alone. Not enough for caviar at every meal, but if you have even semi-realistic expenses, you would be able to subsist quite comfortably for the rest of your years. And that's with regular entertainment expenses like semi-annual computer upgrades.

I would spend most of my usual work-time on my various creative pursuits. I'd update my website daily instead of monthly. I'd set up a little wood-working shop in part of my house for some of the furniture and arcade projects I'm always creating concepts for. I'd start up my own regular web-comic, and possibly an animated web-series. I'd get way into arduino and other custom hardware setups.

Someone with my level of curiosity never wants for things to do. I'm going to be entertained until the day I die already. Having $50 million would just give me more time to explore.

GarBenjamin and Kiwasi like this.
  40. XGundam05

XGundam05

@RichardKain, the previous $6 million would already be enough to cover expenses (including property taxes and fun stuff like vacations) and investments such as a "retirement fund" for the rest of my life ;) I may have been slightly curious as to what it would take to retire immediately before >.> <.< >.>

I suppose I could have one heck of a time tipping servers at restaurants :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  41. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It has been interesting reading the responses so far. Regarding the amount of money I was asked if I won a large sum so I never had to think about money again and could do all that I wanted. I figured $50 million after taxes was a safe bet even if I wanted to build a game company, donate a good amount, stash money away to last me til death and still be able to throw away a good bit on stupid things (which would be a radical change for me). I used that same number here because I wanted money to be competely out of the picture. Well the focus on making money at least. I could probably do all I want with just $4 million after taxes. Over that everything just scales.

42. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Great topic. If I had more more money than I can spend (aside from investing and all that) what would happen is that I create a lot of games... up to 30% completion more or less... I would do the part I want, game mechanics, a couple of levels, etc. And barely finish anything.
    I'd just do the fun stuff. The rest is attending general public's requirements, having enough content so people get their money's worth, etc, not saying I wouldn't do that at all... but I'll leave it for later.

But then again if I had that kind of money to hire people, I might as well go crazy... I think sooner or later I'd definitely put together a little company, not so much for profit obviously, but just enough so the company doesn't sink in debt too fast. And maybe not just about games. High tech toys such as drones, who doesn't love drones? I know nothing about aerodynamics lol, but I always fantasize about very very long range FPV drones that can fly real high, or be able to sink underwater, etc. I'd basically give the money to smart people to work on the prototypes. You know... rich people with too much time in their hands' stuff. ... Come to think of it I'd go bankrupt pretty fast o_O

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  43. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This actually sounds like fun. Maybe I would start a real game company. Go rather tentative on the real there, we've got enough funds for a small team to make a loss for 50 years straight. I'd hire people I liked, and pay them based on how much I like them, rather then how much value they provide. Salaries would be excessive enough to prevent anyone going and getting a real job. Plus there would be M&Ms at all of the work stations.

The company would then implement crazy rules like:
    • Every Monday is spent exclusively on playtesting our current game
    • Every Wednesday is spent working on your own projects
    • Every Friday is spent on corporate intelligence gathering
    • Work finishes at 3pm. No exceptions. Nothing is important enough for the team to work late
    Sure, these rules only leave about 12 hours a week for actual game development. But that's still more then I have left over now.

GarBenjamin and dogzerx2 like this.
  44. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Outsource it. What you're essentially saying is that you'd make prototypes of new and challenging stuff. Some of those would work, others wouldn't. For the ones that do work you could outsource the completion work to someone else. (Also, hire a project manager/producer so you don't have to manage the outsourcing personally.)

GarBenjamin and dogzerx2 like this.
  45. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Me? I'd stop doing work that "pays the bills" and start doing whatever made me feel most personally fulfilled at the time. I'd definitely make a bunch of games, but I'd probably also dabble in other areas, like trying to make the world a slightly better place - find a problem or two I think could be solved or improved using whatever resources I have available and having a go at it.

46. srmojuze

srmojuze

Two words. PARTY HATS!

47. kittik

kittik

• Buy modest house in area of the world I want to reside in (probably somewhere in Sweden, I have a soft spot for Sweden, Visby looks great to me).

• Buy 2 high end PCs. Use one for creation of games, second for enjoyment of playing games.

• Keep creating games through Unity, using the Asset Store in an even more cavalier way than I already do.

• Outsource jobs I cannot do/do not want to do, sound effects, music, web development.

• Try to make even more money.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  48. Jimmy-P

Jimmy-P

I would move to a tropical island and spend more time on game dev than I do now, on account of not having to work. I would probably get back into scuba diving instruction as well, in a limited capacity, to cover my social needs. Game dev would certainly become my primary constructive activity.

This is basically my plan anyway, except in the real world I need to work 3-5 years to pay off a significant chunk of our mortgage, which will grant us the security we want for the future

I'd also likely hire some people to help make the games I wanted to make, and probably also set up a non-profit that my wife could run, as she dreams of being able to make a positive impact on the world.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well I'd just fund indies. If I had 50 million I could afford to help others make their dreams and create environments where people can step up from poverty.

I don't generally give out money. I'd rather give people the chance to earn it themselves including their own self respect. If they just want handouts, then no.

50. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

My company's mantra or potential mantra is "Doing cool things to help people." That is what I want to do with my life. Currently, I can only work on my projects in my spare time because I also need money to live on and support my family. If I were to win $50 million dollars, I could quit my day job and spend a lot more time on my projects. It would also give me the money to hire a few engineers to work on my hardware projects and some artists and programmers to help me out with the software. I'd make my place a fun place to work. I'd locate it close to good hiking trails/mountain bike trails. I'd buy a local craft brewery and move it to my office. I'd install a couple full on Driving simulators so people could race against each other during breaks. And of course there would be a constant supply of my drug of choice: caffeine. I'm planning on doing all that without the $50 million but the $50 million would let me do it a whole lot quicker.

srmojuze and GarBenjamin like this.