Search Unity

You aren't constantly popping your VR headset on/off for development are you? How does VR dev work?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by wfsaxton, Feb 20, 2018.

1. wfsaxton

wfsaxton

I've successfully been able to build a sample VR project and deploy it to my Gear VR-enabled phone. This is great and all but I'm sure the development process doesn't require you to do this every time you make a change.

When I "Play" the scene in the editor, though, it doesn't look like the normal flat-screen controls do anything. Is there some kind of simulated controller I should be using in development?

Also, is it ridiculous to do VR development on my Gear VR? I assume its a helluva lot easier to test out stuff in VR when you are using a computer-attached device, like Vive/Oculus. Still...just working with what I have for now.

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Unlike daydream, Gear VR did not let you emualte the controller with a phone app. They do provide a weird way to emulate with the Oculus touch controllers but this obviously assumes you have the touch which many don't.

In my product (not free), I did provide keyboard/mouse emulation, but I really wish Oculus would follow Google's path. Over in their forums, it's brought up from time to time, but it doesn't look like they are going to do it.

If your project is relatively small I did find using wireless adb not that bad to deploy to device over and over (much better than taking out the HMD and connecting USB). However if your project is large this takes forever and isn't really practical.

3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Just implement some mouse and/or keyboard emulation of what the controller does for you and for "head" movement. It only takes a few minutes and serves you well for a long time.