Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question you are using standalone input module, which uses the old input manager. you are using the new input

Discussion in 'Input System' started by SassyPantsy, Nov 21, 2022.

1. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17tFpdEipXKg8DTHKCbo5BgEck1twvjMy/view?usp=share_link

Hi, I don't know why, but it looks like I'm using the two input systems at once, while I'm trying to use the old one.

I've set the active input handling to the old input system in the player settings. There is no script calling the new Input system.
    The new input system package does not appear in the package manager, and I've deleted it from the package-lock.json file, and deleted its folder from PackageCache. However, it comes back, always, as if somewhere its called to be installed.

I've tried to search everywhere for the new Input system, but I can't see it. The only thing I can think about is because of the AR/XR packages I've updated, but I can't un-update them again.

I don't want to revert changes just yet, nor upgrade for the new input system, but it seems so odd that I can't use the old one.

Is this a bug?

Thanks

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

There's probably a package or asset installed that uses the new input system such as Unity's Starter Asset First/Third Person Character Controller.

You could look at each package.json as well as each Assembly Definition (.asmdef) located under "Assets" to find the one (or several) that reference the new input system.

With Rider, you could generate an assembly diagram which would make locating where input system is referenced easier. I think I've used something like this in VS as well but it could have been a plugin (possibly paid).

SassyPantsy likes this.
  3. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

Cool. Exactly the answer I was looking for.

I'll look for that and write who was the culprit !

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Check the package.json of the installed packages first. Because I don't think .asmdef will automatically cause a package to be installed if it's referenced by them, but a package depending on another will certainly cause the dependent package to be installed automatically.

SassyPantsy likes this.
  5. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

Yup! That was it. It was the XR package. I installed it unintentionally while installing necessary AR packages.

Thanks, I always had trouble understanding the way packages and assembly defs wors, and that cleared a bunch of things for me.

Thanks!

UmutKaan50 likes this.