Search Unity

Yet another camera scaling thingy... :)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by maewionn, May 23, 2018.

1. maewionn

maewionn

Hi there :)

Long Version:
    I am currently building an awesome mech simulator for VR, yet the camera is definitly too big. Since I don't want to scale the world (physics...), I am left with scaling the camera.
    The only fun thing is, that no matter what I parent the Cam to and no matter if I change the scale on either the Cam or the Parent, the Camera just stays the "same size", which is troublesome, since I dont want to enable the player to look through the roof of the mech... alll the time :D
    I know that the SteamVR and Vive support have features for that, but if I just want to stay with a "normal" unity build, how do I go about rescaling the cam?

TL;DR:
    Can't scale the Camera, neither directly nor with rescaling the Parent. Can't rescale the world due to physics issues. How do I make the Camera Scale smaller?

Thank a lot for the help in this already thoroughly discussed topic!

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

scaling the camera.transform.parent should normally be the way to do it.

3. maewionn

maewionn

Should it? I attached 2 Screenshots, one with Camera Parent Scaled down and one with Camera Parent Scale at (1,1,1).

So, there should be a difference, right?

Attached Files:

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Not as a single image, but it shoud change the distance between the 2 eye frustrums. This will make you think the scale is different,

5. maewionn

maewionn

Ah, so I should see a difference in the Oculus? Oh, that is interesting, will give that a try right now! Would you happen to know of any kind of way of displaying that inside the editor as well?

Offtopic: I just stumbled upon your amazing asset since I was intrigued what A.W.E.S.O.M.E is. Looks amazing!

EDIT:
    Jep, it helped greatly. Thanks a lot, kind Sir Johansen.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Good it works :)

Lennart

maewionn likes this.