Search Unity

Yet another Blender thread

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by greenland, May 27, 2006.

1. greenland

greenland

I gather otee is working on improved blender support. Which is awesome... How is progress? What is the biggest obstacle? Should I go so far as to anticipate animation import? Point release? 2.0? or should I continue development with dim3 inspire? Just curious.

2. Lallander

Lallander

Yes, I am currently hunting for other not so outragiously priced apps that will allow me to do animation. So a timeline on Blender support even a guesstimated one would be very handy.

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

On the topic of inexpensive 3D model/animation apps, have you tried "Equinox3D" (http://www.equinox3d.com/)? I played with it a bit (Linux version) but an OSX version is now available. Might not interface with Unity very well as it supports Collada and I don't believe Unity does(?). Some pretty neat features, but I've never really done much with it.

4. drJones

drJones

very curious as well. i haven't checked dim3 out yet - i'm wodering arcane what you think of it. any good?

i'm not sure but i don't think unity supports collada directly, though there are file converters out there that do.

5. Lallander

Lallander

A tad pricier then I like, but I have been checking out Z Brush lately.
    Anyone know how well it is supported?

6. podperson

podperson

It seems to me that Blender is the way to go. It is free, it only gets better, and it is completely open source. It doesn't support FBX is the main issue.

I assume that if you want to import animations into Unity the best option is currently Maya... Am I right in this?

7. pete

pete

the "best" option probably is maya as that's how unity was originally intended but anything that exports fbx works fine. i'm using lightwave and others use c4d, max etc etc. see here:
    http://otee.dk/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-importObject.html

zbrush won't do much good other than static meshes (no animation - even what's planned for 2.5 is for posing in zb only). pretty sure it only exports obj files. you need to use it with lightwave, maya etc.

the collada exporter for blender doesn't yet export animations i don't think. but the good news is it is being worked on and i'm pretty sure joachim was at one point working on an importer for unity. might be a bit yet but the guys doing the blender exporter seem pretty gungho.