Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Yeah!!!!! I finally scored a Wii!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveyJJ, Apr 24, 2007.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

And the weird thing is that it's being held for me at a Rogers video store 30 miles away in another town ... and I am going to that town anyway today for a business meeting!

So happy!!!!!!

Almost happy enough to announce my new Unity-related website ... soon.

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

!!!!!!!!!!!!

we want to see your upcoming website ;)

3. nickavv

nickavv

Nice score! Have fun with the greatest console ever to hit the planet. Twilight Princess is a good adventure, but its a little easy, and Super Paper Mario is brilliant. And Wii Sports is good too. :p It's all so good! How do I decide what to play next? :S

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Inside page CSS done, and structure all built out. Now fixing a few minor bugs with IE6. Then content and announce.

I want to see people here ON the site. :wink:

5. dan

dan

Man, now that you have a Wii that site'll never get done! :D j/k

6. zumwalt

zumwalt

Hope you picked up the charger base for the remotes! (Just released recently) that thing is a life saver (or a battery saver), oh, and those remotes, insanely tough. Son was playing baseball, hands sweating, slid out of his hands, strap broke, remote flew across the 15 foot room, into the 10 food ceiling, bounced on 2 walls, slid across the floor and banged into the cofee table.

Hardly a scratch on the remote, 3 places where the plaster had to be repaird, and a ding in the cofee table.

Freak'n tonka toy's aren't made that tough.

7. jeremyace

jeremyace

ROFL. Perhaps Nintendo needs to change their slogan:
    "The Nintendo WII; Like a Rock..."

Congrats on the WII David. When are we going to see this website in question? :D

-Jeremy

8. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

OK, so here's my general review after playing on the thing for 3-1/2 hours last night.

FREAK. ING. AWE. SOME!!!!

That has to be the most fun I've ever had on any console, ever. Sure, I only have the 5-pack sports game that comes bundled, but what a serious blast of fun. I'll say it again, I'll take gameplay over graphics any day. Not that the graphics are bad at all mind you on a standard (but new) TV set. I'm more than happy with the graphics. The system and game sounds are well done and again, perfect balance between playful and serious. The interface for the Wii system is intuitive and user friendly. Creating your first Mii (avatar) will have you in paroxysms of laughter when you're trying to get you nose just right (Look at daddy's big funny nose!).

The kids and my wife (yes, the wife too!) has a blast last night. You can curl your bowling ball without wearing a wrist brace and being concerned about straining your real-life tennis elbow (a Wii controller weighs a lot less than a 13 pound 10-pin ball). Swinging a gold club is amazing ... watch for the winds on the tricky 9th hole). Boxing gets a sweat going (I now really beleive that one guys claim about losing 16 pounds over 3 months simply by playing on his Wii for 30 minutes/day). Tennis is a hoot! Swinging our two remotes around the room lobbing backhands and forehands cross court was a riot (note to self, by 3rd and 4th controllers this weekend).

Overall, amazing. I see now why Nintendo has such a bloody great hit on their hands. Simply remarkable and amazing and fun for everyone ... I could probably get my parents playing it's that much fun.

Love it. Best technology purchase I've made since my first Apple (yes, even more than my iPods).

Soon. Very soon. Things are getting busy at my house (freelance website designs and some CSS tutoring, a custom Unity-built "safety game", The Illusionist, my dad buying his first Mac ever, the secret site :wink: etc etc).

Plus now this Wii thing. :D

9. Lallander

Lallander

Get zelda. Now. lol srsly you wont regret that one.

10. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Zelda Twilight Princess will be the first purchase ... I owe my son for a brilliant report card. And he simply loves Zelda (Windwalker) on his Gamecube.

There will also be a few rentals this weekend (Tiger Woods, Blazing Angels, Trauma Centre and WarioWare).

11. taumel

taumel

And i thought you better score on a Wii instead for a Wii... ;O)

12. podperson

podperson

We got our Wii about two months back and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

My main disappointment has been with the lack of games. Raging Rabbids and Wii Sports are basically *it*. (We have Zelda, Call of Duty, and something else -- but they're just dull.) And Nintendo's pipeline is full of crappy movie tie-ins.

I hope the amazing success of the platform will bring more developers on board -- and that they use the controls to advantage (Call of Duty's controls are terrible; there are cases where you simply die because the controls are borked. Zelda's use of the Wii's controls is pretty lame.)

13. taumel

taumel

I somehow guess you will see the best games simply from Nintendo for some time. Wii Sports II will come for sure...who bets against it? :O)

14. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

[fanboyism]Zelda... DULL!?!?! How dare you!!! [/fanboyism] I guess after you've completed it, there's not much reason to go back, but I loved that game.

Mario Party is coming end of May. Should be a blast. Personally, I've been impressed with the amount of attention third parties have given to the unique controls (rather than just mapping to different buttons.) The fps attempts have been pretty disappointing, though. Look to Metroid Prime 3 to fix that.

Oh yeah, and Smash Bros... :D

I could go on and on here... but no time.

15. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yes it will. :wink: