Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

YAY... Finally!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deram_scholzara, Sep 5, 2006.

1. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I finally bit the bullet and bought Unity Indie... after 3 separate trial periods... I figured it was time.

Something I would like to see here is another challenge. Like the widget challenge.

An idea I had was pairing up an artist with a coder and giving them 15 days to work on the challenge. This would be interesting in that people could run the trial version and have a goal in mind for something to produce in that timeframe.

Clearly I'm not one to present prizes, but a free version of indie for non-users and discounts on pro for current users would be a decent reward.

A theme I was thinking of was s top-down 3d maze game. It's a pretty simple genre. Users would only have to create the first level of the game obviously.

I think that doing more contests would help promote Unity, who doesn't find themself inspired by a good challenge?

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Congrats on finally grabbing a copy of Unity.

I like the idea of other contests/challenges. The first contest certainly spawned a handful of games that helped OTEE show what Unity could do initially.

The pairing of coder/artist teams would be cool, but should of course be optional. And someone needs to announce a theme at the last minute so no one gets a head start now designing the ultimate maze game. I think the theme should be a little more generalized too, like "time limit puzzle" or "retro 2D scroller using 3D sprites".

And maybe a month instead of 15 days to get some higher quality, more polished stuff out (that of course screws up the trial period so maybe no good)?

3. AaronC

AaronC

Yea I'd have a crack and Id prefer to make it 24hours myself. As part of prize I would offer a two hour production session making music to match the "winners" game, as in, not the contestant entry, but some other game the winners working on.

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~mediasolutions/IvaTreskon_Gallery2006.html

This ones current. The guy playing drums is actually the artist. The rest is me, though most of my stuff-especially for game, is upbeat kinda electronica. the above link is slo and dubby. Track title is deep ocean dub. I might change the track for this yet, its not quite gallery.

Its in progress,looking at last build the collisions are a bit jittery

Thanks To Joachim It now has a very small .ogg soundtrack
    AC

4. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

5. freyr

freyr

The player was published with a beta version of Unity 1.5.1. It will not be playable unless you have installed it too... or do nothing and wait until 1.5.1 has been released.

This is the reason why OTEE writes in the beta release notes that one should not release a web player built with the beta.

6. AaronC

AaronC

Whoops whoops whoops :oops:

7. amcclay

amcclay

Hey how'd you get 3 separate trial periods?! I wasn't able to finish the last 2 tutorials on my first trial and of course ran out of time right before I was going to start the most important and relevant tutorial (the FPS tutorial)

:(

8. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I had the initial trial, a period during which I assisted in the OMG event, and another period on my old laptop... Unity is very much worth buying.

9. amcclay

amcclay

Yep - It is def. worth buying! I just needed that one last tutorial done to do my 'proof of value' to my co-developers. Oh well, i'm saving up!

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

David seems pretty understanding about giving an extension on the trial period if you need more time (and even letting you try out the Pro version). But hey, I knew Unity was worth the dough after a few hours of trying it out. It was just what I was looking for.

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

In fact, at $250 I'd say the Indie version is substantially underpriced for what you get. It does mean more people buying it though, probably!

--Eric

12. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I can totally agree with that. The output you can have with untiy is really immense, while getting used to the environment is simply a matter of hours.
    The term that a utility software is fully payed after 2 - 3 jobs doesnt apply for unity at all... (would you please wait with raising the prices until i have purchased pro?... :roll: )
    The only thing i dont like about unity is that now i cant blame the engine for not getting finished... ;)