Search Unity

XSI Question to Mister "Giyomu-san"

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Jehuty, May 14, 2010.

1. Jehuty

Jehuty

Hello Giyomu,

Yes I know I should probably write you a PM but I could imagine that other people could be interested in my question as well.

So to my Question:

I am trying to find out how to show Alpha Maps probably in the XSI Viewport so that black is invisible and white is visible according to the alpha map, the best would be the possibility to show my real time models in the the XSI viewport in DX9, but I have no clue how to do it. Or maybe I am just thinking wrong, I have to admit I am quite new in XSI and was working with MAX before, but didn’t enjoy it that much.

It is fairly easy in MAX to do, set up Mat and Diffuse the texture, Alpha channel the Alpha and your good to go, it shows the proper in the viewport. You see the Black invisible and white visible.

I was searching the internet of course and always stuck, that you need a realtime shader file to show things like Specular, Alphamap, Normalmap and so on in the XSI viewport, but that’s about it. Since I have no idea how to program shaders. I would like to know if the is a way around it, that you know of?

There seems to be a big lack of info on XSI > Unity. I always get the name “Giyomu” in the connection of XSI and Unity. Neiter the Unity Wiki nor other sources have info on it, you find a lot on MAX and MAYA yes, but not much on XSI Realtime Development. Seems like not many people using XSI. I am very thankful for the things you have put up so far Giyomu, it is really awesome.

I would really appreciate your help; since I love the very artist orientated XSI and would like to get to know the program better.

Thank you all in advance for your efforts

2. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

3. Jehuty

Jehuty

Thank you very much IslandDreamer I will check it out...

4. giyomu

giyomu

hi ,

luckily google alert direct me on that post , otherwise i may have missed it for "someday" ^^

ok well for XSI transparency , I am on XSI 7.01 (still ..) and I usually do as the attachements you will see.

what i do it's to also often it's yo use PNG exported with no solid background behind
    But PSD should work also as well too

hope that help ;)

Attached Files:

5. Jehuty

Jehuty

Giyomu the XSI Master has spoken :) I know it is called only Softimage now, but it will always be XSI for me!

Thank you for your help...