Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

XRSystem.ReleaseFrame() was not called error with particle system lights (HDRP 6.9)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by dgoyette, Aug 12, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

After updating to Unity 2019.2 and HDRP 6.9, I'm finding that any time I spawn a particle that has a light attached to it, it results in rendering locking up for the duration of the particle's lifetime, and the following errors getting spammed to the log:

Error 1:
    XRSystem.ReleaseFrame() was not called!
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Error 2:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline.PrepareLightsForGPU (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDCamera hdCamera, UnityEngine.Rendering.CullingResults cullResults, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDProbeCullingResults hdProbeCullingResults, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.DensityVolumeList densityVolumes, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.DebugDisplaySettings debugDisplaySettings, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.AOVRequestData aovRequest) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@6.9.1-preview/Runtime/Lighting/LightLoop/LightLoop.cs:1818)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline.ExecuteRenderRequest (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline+RenderRequest renderRequest, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.AOVRequestData aovRequest) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@6.9.1-preview/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:1607)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@6.9.1-preview/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:1452)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:72)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, System.IntPtr loopPtr, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:67)

Is this a known issue? Is there any way to work around this?

Attached Files:

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

This is easy to reproduce in a new project under Unity 2019.2 and HDRP 6.9. Just create a particle system, make it use Lights, and even just preview the particle system in the Editor.

Reported at bug #1176055.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  3. Eloujah

Eloujah

If have the same "XRSystem.ReleaseFrame() was not called!" error...
    But with me, nothing is rendered anymore... (HDRP 6.9.1, Unity 2019.2.3f1)

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Yup. The result is that if there is any particle in your scene with a light currently on it, all rendering will stop until the particles die. In short, you can't use Lights on particles right now in HDRP. Someone in support/QA told me this would be fixed in a future HDRP release.

5. Eloujah

Eloujah

I don't have any particles in my entire project...

6. dgoyette

dgoyette

Ah. No idea, then. Does this happen in a brand new scene? I'd probably start removing things one-by-one from your scene until you find the thing that's causing this to occur. But it sounds like you've found a different bug that happens to have a similar error message and behavior.

7. fabien-unity

fabien-unity

Unity Technologies

The error "XRSystem.ReleaseFrame() was not called!" is usually just the first assert to be hit when an exception has been thrown from the render loop.
    Note: this error message has been downgraded to a warning in the next HDRP release to avoid confusion.

In short, look through the log for any previous exceptions/errors.

8. Eloujah

Eloujah

9. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks for the context. As for the original issue I reported as #1176055, where Lights don't work with particles under HDRP in 2019.2 or 2019.3, any idea when that might be corrected? It's preventing me from moving up to 2019.2. Thanks.

10. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I keep nudging the HDRP team about this but while we wait, the best thing everyone affected can do is vote on this issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...em-with-light-module-on-is-added-to-the-scene

Votes on bugs count towards our internal prioritisation system and even just a few votes on an issue can nudge it into a high priority category.

dgoyette likes this.
  11. dgoyette

dgoyette

It looks like a fix for this issue has been included in the HDRP 8.0 release notes:

And according to the issue tracker, the fix is in review for 7.1.2. Does that mean that this is only getting fixed in 2019.3, and not getting backported to 2019.2 as well?

12. dgoyette

dgoyette

Looks like this was just fixed in 7.1.2, as a pretty simple one-line fix:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4649/files

Hopefully this can be considered for back-merging to 6.x/2019.2 in the near future? I can manually fix this in the package, but the package just gets reset each time I reopen Unity. Is there a way to prevent the package manager from updating a manually modified package?

13. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Move it to Packages folder from Library (where manifest.json)

dgoyette likes this.
  14. shredingskin

shredingskin

The issue is back on 7.1.5 but now nothing renders anymore if there's a particle system with a light on.

15. iamarugin

iamarugin

Same here.

16. MajorParts

MajorParts

2019.3.0f1 and HDRP 7.1.6

No more errors and rendering of the scene doesn't stop anymore, but the lights don't actually light anything.

17. jjejj87

jjejj87

This issue is back on 2021.1.5f HDRP11

18. ustincameron

ustincameron

Issue remains

19. allanasr21

allanasr21

Still having to turn off lights because scene isn't rendering...

20. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I don’t think we have an open bug for this. This is an old thread and the issue mentioned in it was marked fixed a long time ago.

Please submit a new report.