Search Unity

Question XR Toolkit. Is there a way for an object to tell the controller/interactor to drop the object

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Tjen, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Tjen

Tjen

Hi guys :)

So here is my case:

I have a magazine that reaches a trigger zone of a gun to reload it. Upon reaching that I want to destroy/detach the magazine I had in the hand as it now lives in the gun.

My problem is that I cannot seem to find a way to force the XRcontroller or XR DirectInteractor to drop the magazine via code.

I am probably missing something super obvious but I have stared myself completely blind at this issue. I have quite a few more use cases where I need an object to tell the hand that it wants to be free from it :D So any help I can get will be greatly appreciated :D

NB: The magazine object has references to its own XRGrabInteractable and the owning hands XRDirectInteractor.

From what I have learned it seems that the XRInteractionManager calls an OnSelectExit to unassign it, but I am not allowed to call this, only the interactionManager?

Again thanks for any input :D

2. wachichi

wachichi

Hi Tjen,

Well, hope this isn't coming too late.

I usually use a trick for this, by disabling the Interactor component on the hand. Not sure if this is the best way but it gets the work done. I use a wait time for 0.25s, which works quite well. Here is the method;

Step One: Create your interactable class that extends the base-interactable.

public class YourInteractableClass: XRGrabInteractable

Step Two: Create the drop function (Enabling and Disabling the DirectInterator)

private IEnumerator ObjectDropForce(XRBaseInteractor interactor)
    {
    if (interactor.TryGetComponent(out XRDirectInteractor directInteractor))
    {
    directInteractor.enabled = false;
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.25f);
    directInteractor.enabled = true;
    }
    }

Step Three: Call the function (NB: Once you extend the class you should have access to the selectinginteractor variable)

StartCoroutine("ObjectDropForce", selectingInteractor);

brgishy likes this.