Search Unity

XR Plugin System Compiler Directives

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Barliesque, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Barliesque

Barliesque

Is there a scripting #define to identify whether a project is using the older built-in VR support, or the new XR plugin system? I've been searching and searching and cannot find any mention of this.

2. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

You can create one yourself, it's annoyingly confusing and complicated (Unity really ought to improve this - it's nothing to do with VR, it's a core Unity 2019+ feature, but just poorly explained/documented. The UI is simple enough, but the concepts are weird and need better docs).

In the main Unity docs, there's a section on asmdefs. You need to dig around in there and find the bits about "asmdefs + packages + custom defines". This is the official way for you to detect which Unity packages are installed at code level (they are gradually removing / moving away from putting #defines in their code, they want everyone to use this new asmdef-dependent system).

This should work with everything in the Unity PackageManager (which of course includes the AR/VR/XR systems...)

3. Barliesque

Barliesque

@a436t4ataf Thanks for the tip!

So, I found some potentially useful info (and code) here...
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompilationAssemblyDefinitionFiles.html

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEditor.Compilation;
    4. public static class AssemblyLister
    5. {
    7.     [MenuItem("Tools/List Player Assemblies in Console")]
    8.     public static void PrintAssemblyNames()
    10.     {
    11.         UnityEngine.Debug.Log("== Player Assemblies ==");
    12.         Assembly[] playerAssemblies =
    13.             CompilationPipeline.GetAssemblies(AssembliesType.Player);
    15.         foreach (var assembly in playerAssemblies)
    16.         {
    17.             UnityEngine.Debug.Log(assembly.name);
    18.         }
    19.     }
    20. }
    ...which would provide me a way of making some kind of automated tool for setting up those conditional compilation defines -- something I'd have expected Unity to provide. Maybe I'm still missing something?