Search Unity

XR Plug-In Management 3.2.17

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by joejo, Nov 13, 2020.

1. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

The next version of XR Plug-in Management requires an API change in Unity scripting. Please note that if you wish to use this version of management you will need to be updated to the following minimum versions of Unity:

2019.4.15f1
    2020.1.12f1
    2020.2.0b11
    2021.1.0a4

Once this version is release we will update this post with that information.

2. Carpet_Head

Carpet_Head

We updated our project to user XR management, but it looks like image effects are broken. Particularly those using the depth normals texture of the camera. It looks like it doesn't correctly render the depth normals. It's almost as if the replacement shader is rendering to a texture without a depth buffer, or something strange like that. Objects pop in and out and are sorted weirdly

Are there any known issues around this?

I did try to share a repo project at Case 1284715 but I haven't had a response for over a month

3. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

XR Management has nothing to do with any rendering or display you may be doing. It's sole purpose to help manage the XR SDK packages and how they are started/run/shutdown in a manner similar to what users were doing in Legacy VR.

Problems with rendering as you suggest are issues with the actual provider package that enable a target device or technology. Looking at your bug it appears that you are using the OpenVR package provided and supported by Valve and not by Unity. As such it may be difficult for our frontline QA to do anything with that issue. You may want to also open up a support ticket or forum post in the appropriate Valve support channel.

Have you tried reproing the issue using a different package to see if it is independent of the actual XR provider? If the problem repros with a Unity supported package (WMR, Oculus, Magic Leap) then I would update the bug with that info (and maybe a new repro project) and QA should be able to get it routed correctly internally.

4. Carpet_Head

Carpet_Head

The issue exists using both the Oculus and OpenVR packages, I guess it's more likely that it is an issue with Instanced single pass rendering? as that is the main difference between legacy and XR Management. I believe the old one was "single pass stereo rendering" which is a different unity tech. Is there anywhere we can get support for this?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  5. Carpet_Head

Carpet_Head

I've definitely managed to repro it in the other packages that have instanced rendering

I tried a new case 1293263 as hopefully that one is more clear

thanks for the tip

6. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Thanks, will try get appropriate people on it.

7. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Version 3.2.17 has been shipped to production. The following Unity versions (or later) are required to use this release:

2019.4.15f1
    2020.1.12f1
    2020.2.0b12
    2021.1.0a7

8. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I was quite alarmed to see these required engine versions seeing as we had insurmountable URP and 2020.2 loading time issues with Android Quest builds.

I reported severe load time issues on URP 9 and general Android load times were up to 100x slower on 2020.2 vs 2020.1 which apparently has only just been fixed in 2020.2.0f1 after I reported it back in June.

9. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

XR Plug-in Management has nothing to do with specific plug in issues. It's sole purpose is to help manage the plug-ins in a way similar to legacy VR and provide a good experience OOB for users. Any issues with URP or Quest are specifically in the domain of those packages and not in any way related.

10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

The issue was we needed to use 2020.2 to use URP 10 which fixed issues we had on URP 8 + 9 on the Quest and then 2020.2 had loading time issues on the Quest. I have passed feedback onto the SRP team that they need to test out Android better as the loading was an android issue not specific to Quest. Not meaning to detract from the discussion here just wanted to talk about my experience in 2020.1+ Unity with XR as it was rough and I still have issues not fixed which I am chasing. Eventually couldn't get the project to beta testing mostly due to Covid restrictions + the aforementioned issues

11. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hey @ROBYER1, let's keep the thread on topic. I'll follow up with you via DM on your feedback with URP 10 on Quest. Want to make sure our teams are aware of it.

12. gravityspire

gravityspire

can anyone help me im trying to get xr plugin manager tried pm and the project settings way, i can install but can see it in project settings, what do i do? also my laptops settings keep random opening super annoying ik it unity cause its fine when unity aint running.