Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

XR/OVR FPS Bump

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Abended, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Abended

Abended

I am converting a project from 2019.2.21f1 to 2019.3.x.

Normally, I am used to the game stats screen running at ~90-100fps in 2019.2. Pretty solid there.
    Moving my project into 2019.3 and changing from LWRP to URP packages, my FPS was about 150, but there were some dips into 40-50 range. Objects attached to my controllers seem to be a bit jittery compared to the old version of unity.

Clicking around I found that unity wants us to move to XR. I installed the related XR packages and oculus XR plugin, uninstalled oculus desktop. I still have my OVRCameraRig, and have not implemented the XRRig. I seem to be able to still control everything, and my FPS in game stats has shot up to ~300, any dips are about into 250 range. It seems to be a result of simply installing XR.

XR Interaction Debugger is empty. How is this happening? Do I need to fully commit to XR at this point? I am enjoying the FPS bump, but If I'm not using XR, how am I seeing this FPS benefit? As far as I can tell oculus integration and oculus desktop are not installed.

In another test, I did implement XRRig. When using XRRig, my hands are visibly jittery-er. I didn't know if it was from the high frame rates. Any insight is appreciated.

XR Interaction Subsystems 1.0.1
    XR interaction Toolkit 0.9.4
    XR Legacy Input Helpers 2.1.3
    XR Plugin Management 3.2.9
    Oculus XR Plugin 1.3.3