Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved XR Interaction Toolkit OpenXR Controllers not tracking with OpenXR plugin

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by VoxelBean, Jan 15, 2022.

1. VoxelBean

VoxelBean

I've been trying for days to get OpenXR to track my controllers. One day the openXR plugin just stopped working and I'm not sure where the problem is. I'm trying to use the XR Origin action-based setup with a Oculus quest + link.
    Things I've tried:

1. Switching to the Ocolus only plugin makes everything work, but that's not compatible with SteamVR
    2. I can see the quest controllers pointerPosition in the input debugger, but the controllers still don't move
    3. I reimported the default input actions form the XR Interaction Toolkit and double checked all the setup again, no luck
    4. I made sure I had an Input Action Manager on my XR Origin

I submitted a bug report with a sample project, but I can't seem to find the bug report number. I've included that sample project here too.

Does anyone have any advice?

Attached Files:

2. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi BeanBoy29,

I took a quick look at your project and noticed that the Input Action Manager script on the root XR Origin object did not have an Input Action Asset assigned. Once I dropped the XRI Default Input Actions on there, the controllers started tracking again. I'll make a note for the team to look into the best way to alert users to this in the future.

Thank you,
    Dave

3. VoxelBean

VoxelBean

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. That helped a lot but it turns out there was also a problem with unity 2020.3.20f1 as well. Fixing both of these solved the problem.

andrejfsantos4 likes this.
  4. hockenmaier

hockenmaier

Just curious since I'm having the same problem and I'm on 2020.3.19f1 - what version did you update to that fixed this?

5. VoxelBean

VoxelBean

I updated to 2020.3.26f1. However, I think I may have also updated a lot of the xr packages while debugging as well.

6. andrejfsantos4

andrejfsantos4

For others who may come across this post, I too experienced the same issue on 2020.3.20f1. Updating to 2020.3.32f1 fixed it, I did not have to manually update any other packages.

VRDave_Unity likes this.
  7. DataFlo

DataFlo

yea that did the opposite for me instead of tracking the controllers again it stoped tracking the headset ....is openxr even stable enough to ship in a compleeted product atm ? i mean if it cant handle the basics how is this suposed to be reliable whit a hundret scripts tagged onto it ? also i was having heavy rendering issues when trying to use the mesh renderer when it was working ...at this point im almost ready to say screw it i build my own amusement park whit blackjack and hookers and try to frankenstein a interaction layer script onto a pre 2.0 version of steam vr and go whit bare metal tracking so i can be sure atleast the vive and index will work reliable i dont even get any kind of console readout where the problem might be found ......

8. DataFlo

DataFlo

soooo i found out what the problem iss and i tryed allot like initialising in the main menue seemd to fix it but then it didnt

turns out the vive has some stupid sensor that acts up atm in combination whit xrorigin try putting the headset on before u click play i tryed it 5 times before i could belive it u can take off the headset after u loadet in the scene and it will keep working gues im buying a manequin head for vive storage while developing now xX

[#XROrigin vive tracking fix steamvr controller]