Search Unity

Question XR input or "new" input system?

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by AnthonyJackson81, Dec 2, 2021.

1. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

Just a quick question as I'm struggling on my approach to a couple of projects and tasks.

I get the new input system.

I get the XR input system.

But do I just use them whenever? What are people using more?

Let's say I have a pistol. It can be in both hands. But firing and mag ejection should only be in the gun hand ... So far this week, I have nailed my inputs using both the interaction toolkit And the new input system..... But I'm yet to switch my actions to another hand.
    Am I on the correct path? Or are people not using the new input system in favour of the XR input system.

Thanks.

2. corycolt

corycolt

I’m probably not the best person to answer, but from my understanding you should be using their Open XR Input System. I’m trying to get a basic scene setup using the XR Interaction Toolkit using their default samples for input devices, but it doesn’t seem to work for me. I can look around, but I cannot move around for the life of me. I’m building to an Oculus Quest 2 and using Unity 2021.1.1f1 and using the XR Interaction Toolkit 1.0.0 pre release

3. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

In the end I just picked a route which matched my project. For me I used the XR Interaction toolkit, and ended up extending the base classes when I needed something extra or some beyond out of the box. It largely worked, Im happy with my direction.

I can see the use of the input system everywhere else. Just XR seems to work well with.....well, XR work.