Search Unity

Question XR Foundation & Oculus Quest Color Space/Gamut Correction

Discussion in 'VR' started by TBuntingOVR, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBuntingOVR

TBuntingOVR

Hey,

Recently I have moved a project over from using the Oculus SDK to XR foundation and the requisite Oculus package. An issue we have noticed is that the color correction that used to be applied via the OVRProjectConfig (via the OVRManager in the inspector) is no longer present. Details on this can be found on the Oculus 'Set Specific Color Space in Unity' page. Snippet below.

This results in a redish, pinkish tinge and an oversaturated look on the Oculus platform by default when compared to the editor and other platforms.

Digging through the available functions and accompanying documentation I have found the Unity.XR.Oculus.Utils.SetColorScaleAndOffset(Vec4, Vec4) function that appears to allow for color correction. Is it possible to achieve the correct color balance using this function and is there any awareness of this issue and any suggestion of a workaround?

Using Unity version 2019.4.18f1 LTS
    Using Oculus XR Plugin version 1.6.1
    Using XR Plugin Management 3.2.17

Thanks!

2. Bonfire-Boy

Bonfire-Boy

I've noticed high levels of saturation in Quest compared to Pico as well, would be great to get a handle on it. Is the SetColorScaleAndOffset doing things? Is it a question of working out what to pass to it?

3. TBuntingOVR

TBuntingOVR

The color scale portion of the function does affect the final pixel color on device, and using this I have found I can get closer to the expected results by bringing the red channel down siginificantly, but it is still imperfect and a difficult balancing act. It would be great if somebody more familiar with the SDK and XR Foundation integration could enlighten us further.

AivarsIvanovs, m1keall1son and wowau like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.