Search Unity

Games XPro Rally 2

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by adrenak, Aug 10, 2020.

1. adrenak

adrenak

Hi everyone,

So over a year ago, I started working on a game inspired by MotorStorm for which I also made my custom vehicle physics called Tork as I wanted to learn how they're made, also make a system that anyone can use without thinking too much. Vehicle physics can become complicated with all kinds of params.

Eventually, I had contract work come up and I spent a year being involved in that. When I had the change to go back to it this May, I realised my project had a really wide scope and decided to narrow it to a simple, arcade rally racer 'XPro Rally 2' (the first version I made in college in 2013)

XPro Rally 2 has given me the chance to improve Tork. I'm also using a UI framework that I used for a movie streaming app I made in Unity, but it's quite general purpose.

I know a rally racing game is kinda meh for an indie game, but it's something I've been enjoying making :)

Here is a short video and I'll be using this space to post about updates. The game has been in development for a couple of months already. I'm making this for PC right now but keeping things flexible for VR and mobile versions later.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Mark_01 likes this.
  2. adrenak

adrenak

Hey everyone,

So, I've been working on the UI for the last few days.

I'm currently working towards a demo and in the process trying to finish all the subsystems so that making the full game is mostly a design and art matter.

I just finished the system that shows the turn directions and the minimap and thought it's a decent amount of progress for today to show off!

It's all temporary but seeing some information on the screen is quite motivating. I may go for a minimal look later.

Cheers!

3. munchou

munchou

Hello!

It's crazy (and disappointing) to see that Unity's WheelCollider (in 3D) is not only a pain, but does not even work properly (whereas in 2D I find it great). I challenge anyone to have proper collisions with the wheels (by using the default settings). The problem has been addressed quite some time ago, but it seems Unity's team simply does not give a damn (which forced me to switch from 3D to 2D, as a beginner...). The software doesn't do what it's supposed to do, so developers have to build from scratch basic tools. Quite a joke.
    What you made looks good (hard to see all the details), I like the realistic behavior of the shock absorbers (suspensions). Not so much how the vehicle behaves in air (no rotation, like a frozen stick).

I don't see why it'd be. You video is really promising, I would have never guessed it was a one man's work!
    The WRC series is made by "pros", and most of the games are so-so, if not bad. WRC 8 is finally giving something decent. About time... :D

I look forward to seeing more :)

adrenak likes this.
  4. adrenak

adrenak

Thanks for the kind words :)

Unity's car sample drives pretty well, I think it's based on Unity's wheel collider but has a lot of code that manages it(?) I don't remember exactly.

But I have often tried to deep dive into wheel and vehicle physics and it's very clearly a pretty complex thing. The friction curves etc on the unity wheel makes it hard to approach. I wanted to make something that provides the designer with simple things like simple [0,1] values like "sideways slip" and "forward slip"

The version of my vehicle physics that I am using is largely from last year so it's quite dated. The no rotation is actually a modifier that allows cars to always land on wheels by stabilizing them mid-air (for extra arcade vibe).

But I suppose by the 23/24 Aug weekend I'll completely move to the next version which is not on Github yet. I can't release with the current system as there is no drifting :)

5. adrenak

adrenak

No update in a while, happy with how things have progressed. Making the track look good for a demo release :)

CyberMobile likes this.
  6. makinahmet

makinahmet

Hi. You have done really amazing things as i see (just one person). Especially it is a big job that doing your own vehicle system. Name is good though (Tork) :) i hope we can see the finished result and play the game. Yes it would be good that unity could have more useful (it is useful that who knows to how to use it except me :D) wheel collider system. i wondered that how did you achive turn direction system?

adrenak likes this.
  7. adrenak

adrenak

Thanks for the compliments @makinahmet :)

Tork and the game both have been on hold for a while, but I'll continue in Jan (new years resolution ;) )

Just a high level explanation for the turn direction: I have trigger colliders around the track and when they detect a collision with the car they fire an event. The events can be listened and then the right UI is shown on the UI.

8. Lerach3

Lerach3

Hey @adrenak great work !
    I'm a techno/electronica composer: https://arjuna.bandcamp.com
    are you interested in co-working with me as the composer/sound designer for the game? I'm musician almost diplomated in a Conservatory and know much about music, studied all my life, music is my life, and I love gaming too ! :D
    I'm also working on an UE4 project called Life Leech which I compose Orchestral/Metal.

If interested I would be glad to work with you !

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year !

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020