Search Unity

xPinball

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khellstr, May 16, 2012.

1. khellstr

khellstr

Hi

I'm making this pinball game and like to get some feedback. It's in early stage and I have been adjusting controls and speed so it feels good to play. Table will have more ramps, targets and etc, but I'd like to "lock" my controls before going forward.

Game is here: o---- xPinball ----o ( edit: I uploaded game to kong, so I'm able to get some statistics )

I'm planning to put this in Kongregate, even it's on really early stage. Reason is I'd like to get some statistic out of game from other players. Example putting trigger on top of the ramp to get speed of the ball, so I know if I could make ramp longer/steeper. Or find out how often ball goes some hardly achievable place, if ever. Would there be any down sides using Kongregate as beta platform?

// UPDTES
    Latest uploaded version
    (Latest) Screenshot:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. xzile40

xzile40

I love it so far :)

3. Train

Train

Would there be any down sides using Kongregate as beta platform?

It is possible yes, but Wooglie is for testing better i think. Good start!

4. pezz

pezz

I like it so far good job. Let me know if you need any help.
    I did some work on a pinball multiplayer game before. Really enjoyed.

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

It feels pretty good so far. Although I'd like to see a bit more bounce out of the table.

6. khellstr

khellstr

Thanks for feedback, it motivates to model and code more, rather than surfing reddit.

Meltdown: I increased force in bumpers over flippers and will add more targets etc. on table and give them bounce/force values individually.

Pezz: I have some questions in Unity answers, I think I will link them to this threat.

I uploaded game to Kongegrate so I'm able to get some statistics easily from players. Now I'm trying to get API work. It's slow to develop because I have to look instructions from web for every feature I add. Spend last night over an hour to add simple start button, but did't manage to
    get text change row. But it's getting easier.

kongregate link

7. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

nice work so far, well done

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Would you consider putting the game source on the app store? I would love to make a pinball game and this seems like a great start, I would not use any of the assets just the code for the flippers.

9. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

I didn't check the asset store for a good pinball asset, with good ball movement.physics, and good pinball elements bounce, paddle, etc... If none is there then a good pinball kit could be a good seller for sure

10. khellstr

khellstr

I have coded this with trial and error method, and usually if I get something to work somehow, I leave it there and fix it later( but probably not). Actually there is not many lines of code, Unity and PhysX do most of the work and that little I have coded is at moment pretty messy; variables named both Finnish and English. Some targets (bumbers) do something in their own script on some passes variables to my gameEngine, this all without any conformity. And there is not single line documented.

Also very start I had lot of collision problems, I still have, but I used to have more when I tried so make ball right sized (0.01 - 0.02). Then I tested to make ball 1 unit size and scale gravity and time up. It worked better, but now my units have no corresponding to real world scale. Also I had problems with flippers hingeJoints, the axis moved and they seemed to rotate not only along rotation axis. So I set rigid body mass center to axis (0,0,0) and set flipper mass to something ridiculous big. It worked, but I don't like it. And now I have to change my hinge joints to configurble joints if I want to export to flash. FixedTimestep is now 0.01 ( and max allowed 0.02) which probably will cause performance problems in mobile machines. I it still feels that ball goes trough flipper sometimes.

So I don't really feel comfortable to share my spaghetti project yet, not to mention take money for it. But It's not bad idea to put pinball engine to store, so I will continue working with that in mind.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. khellstr

khellstr

I just ported this pinball to flash and performance was terrible. Tried to find information about Flash players Physx performance, but did not find any good information. So is Flash just dam slow in physics or have I done something wrong? I did some testes with Unity webPlayer and only after I had over ten balls and mesh collider with 10 000 tris I began to notice some lag. (thats 10x more performance that I currently need). With flash I had only one ball in field and it took forever to roll down, fps was something like 6, ( there was not even flippers, did not get hingejoint to work with flash).

12. rhasami

rhasami

looks good, go on with the good work.

13. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Awesome start man. This could be really good with all the final graphics and effects.

Keep at it.

14. welby

welby

aye,..great start! I love when the extra balls come into play.

And don't worry about using Kongregate to get feedback.

That's exactly what I am using it for( as well as recruiting my poor coWorkers)

Even the hate comments are helpful
    :)

15. khellstr

khellstr

Thank you for compliments again.

Table theme/name will be "Carnival of death" or "Carnaval de la Muerte".

I collected some images for reference:

Like to get some high contrast between dark / gray and bright / colorful. Have to find my Wacom pen...

16. khellstr

khellstr

I don't have Unity pro or any tablet. Any ideas how could I get some estimates about how this would perform on tablets?

17. khellstr

khellstr

Spend half an hour to find out why my game is suddenly running slow, going back changes that I recently made. Then I found out that my laptops power cable was unplugged and it was in powersafe mode. dang.

18. pezz

pezz

Hi, Sorry I just seen your post.

I just played your lates version its already so much fun. Good job.
    At one point there were 2 balls in on the board at the same time. Is that normal or is it a bug?

19. khellstr

khellstr

It is not a bud, multiball, but I'm going to change how it's going to work. Some lock target, maybe robot take it in hand and throw it away later. But I will get to that after I have planned how I will make "mission engine" for table.

Btw. I changed theme to that Robot theme because I have some graphics/models ready to use and want to get something done before end of the world.

20. khellstr

khellstr

I can't get particle shader to change it's tint color, I posted question to answers, so if someone could help I would be very pleased

question in unityAnswers

edit: found solution, it's in answers...

Last edited: May 24, 2012