Search Unity

XML Parser in C#

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by wgrand, Apr 5, 2010.

1. wgrand

wgrand

Anyone aware of a simple XML parser in C#? (Not Javascript!)

I am trying to avoid System.Xml, which will add 1mb to my file size.

I also wish there was an easy parser like E4X in Actionscript!

2. Flashflow

Flashflow

I could be wrong but I'm almost certain nobody has wrote a C# XML parser for Unity yet (because we have System.Xml). I have to agree with you though that an extra MB just for XML parsing on a game is pretty crappy for the web, so might I suggest using TinyXmlReader (which is Java based) and have your C# script send and receive data from the Java class using targetObject.SendMessage(functionName, value)

EDIT

Oh and just as a general rule, if the script you're looking for isn't on this site, then it either probably doesn't exist or it does but is so inefficient or poorly programmed that it shouldn't be used. Generally. There are a few amazing classes and libraries outside that site, but typically if it's good it's up there.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

best chances to find one (I think there is one) is the iphone board, as unity iphone basic users can't use System.Xml before iphone 1.7 due to static lib size restrictions of the iphone sdk and the resulting size of including system.xml (which is not just system.xml but also the inclusion of System, which makes most of that size)

4. matthewminer

matthewminer

I realize that you're looking for a C# script, but it's worth mentioning the lightweight (7 KB) XML parser that a forum member wrote. You should have no problem mixing it in with your own scripts. If it's really necessary, converting the few hundred lines to C# shouldn't pose much difficulty if you're comfortable with the language.

5. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Converting my TinyXmlReader into C# should be trivial, the meat of it is all just a bunch of string functions.

EDIT: I happen to have converted the TinyXmlReader into C# myself. Just check the wiki page

6. Jehu

Jehu

I have converted the lightweight (7 KB) XML parser from Javascript into C#.

The reason I did this is so it is faster, but mainly because I could not get it to work on the iPhone as it used a Boo script data type. Even with changing that it still did not work on the iPhone.

But after converting it to C# it now works fine on the iPhone.

I have attached the zipped source code files (3 C# files) as a zip file.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. riadsala

riadsala

Hello,

dumb question here (I'm still getting my head around OOP, very different from the type of programming I'm used to).

How do I go about using the xmlparser in a project? Do I attach the script to an otherwise empty GameObject?

Thanks

8. riadsala

riadsala

Don't worry, I've figured it out. You just stick the file in assets, and there's no need to attach it to anything.

:)

9. deepak

deepak

Hi

I am building an application where i want to load data thro XML in the assets folder. When i build an standalone application, I am not getting the xml in the build. Its working fine in Editor. Any Suggestions?

10. tingham

tingham

Seems likely that the path to the xml file has changed.

11. UniversalChairs

UniversalChairs

I'm trying to simply pull headline text from an XML RSS feed to display on a 3D text element, but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to use this. I've done some intermediate C# scripting so far, I can display the raw text of a website, but I'm really struggling to figure out how to implement the parser in my code.