Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

XML Comments with assembly defintion

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by 123099, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 123099

Hi guys,

I have set up a few UPM packages that I pull from github. This all works great.
    Each of the packages has an asmdef assembly definition, which compiles the package scripts and places them in the Library/ScriptAssemblies folder.

I have also added xml comments to all the classes in each of those assemblies, but the only way to see the comments through intellisense is if I put the generated xml comment files directly inside the Library/ScriptAssemblies folder.

The issue here is that this folder gets wiped by Unity on various occassions, one of which is project startup. In any case, I saw in many places that I should not manually place anything inside the Library folder.

My question is then how can I include xml comment files with my UPM packages so that I can see comments and documentation in intellisense? Is there a way to make Unity automatically copy these files alongside the compiled dlls?

Thanks in advance!

2. JakHussain

JakHussain

I just posted about the exact same problem. I'll delete my post and just bump yours. Something I'd like to add is that if you add a package locally from disk then all the xml comments do appear just not with packages from a scoped registry.

3. 123099

Back to the same topic a few months later - is there any progress on this feature?

4. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello, which IDE are you guys working with?

5. JakHussain

JakHussain

Visual Studio 2019 for myself. Though I see the same issue in VS Code as well.

6. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    I have tested this and it indeed works as expected when the package is directly embedded in the Packages folder of your project or when using a file reference.
    It does not work properly when the package is installed in the project directly from the registry.
    May I suggest to open a bug about it through the Unity Bug Reporter?

Thank you