Search Unity

XML and Unity 3

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Voideo, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Voideo

Voideo

Hi,

I use a XML file to store the player's data this way:
    Code (csharp):
    2. void SavePlayerData()
    3.    {
    4.         StreamWriter writer;
    5.         FileInfo info = new FileInfo(fileName);
    6.         if(!info.Exists)
    7.         {
    8.             writer = info.CreateText();
    9.         }
    10.         else
    11.         {
    12.             info.Delete();
    13.             writer = info.CreateText();
    14.         }
    15.         writer.Write(dataBuffer);
    16.         writer.Close();
    17.    }
    but after upgrading to Unity 3.0 I get an error message complaining about 'System.IO.FileInfo' that doesn't contain a definition for 'Delete'
    error CS1061: Type `System.IO.FileInfo' does not contain a definition for `Delete' and no extension method `Delete' of type `System.IO.FileInfo' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Testing with Unity 2.6 the same script works fine. Does anyone know what may cause the problem or a better solution to store the player's data for the web?

Thanks

2. Voideo

Voideo

Nevermind, moved on to PlayerPrefs

3. rkite

rkite

I am also having this problem, after upgrading to Unity 3.0 Pro I am getting:

error CS1061: Type `System.IO.FileInfo' does not contain a definition for `Delete' and no extension method `Delete' of type `System.IO.FileInfo' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

and also:

error CS1061: Type `System.IO.FileInfo' does not contain a definition for `OpenText' and no extension method `OpenText' of type `System.IO.FileInfo' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

And the reason is because my project was able to compile either as a standalone PC app or as a Web Player app. As a standalone it saved data locally and as a web app it saved to a database using WWW.

Now with Untiy 3.0, It will not compile a Web Player version with System.IO code, even though I only call that function if it is to run by a web player. Is there any way to have both in one build?

4. Chris Sinclair

Chris Sinclair

According to one source (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/30077-Unity-C-preprocessor?p=195832#post195832) there should be preprocessor directives for you to include platform specific code into your build as of version 3. Not sure where the documentation for it though.

EDIT: found it: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Platform Dependent Compilation.html

(but I'm having trouble loading the data from that page. If you are too, here's the google-cache entry: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ependent+compilation&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

And it copy-pasted here:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  5. rkite

rkite

Thanks FizixMan, that will take care of my issue.

6. deddytati

deddytati

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

that can not work.
    Webplayers can't write files or access the local system in any way

If you want to save XML as a webplayer you must use WWW, add it as data to the WWWForm and pass that along to a webeservice and have the webservice store and offer it

8. joshimoo

joshimoo

You might be able to save the XML String in a Player pref, depending on the Size of the string
    (not sure what the size limit for player prefs is from the top of my head)

Have a look at the documentation.

9. deddytati

deddytati

sorry coz I just steps into unity3d world about a month but are you saying its possible but just in other way?
    ok i found this

are you talking about this?
    any guide on how to do this?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. amherst

amherst

Hi all,

I am confused here. I'm getting the same error as Voideo following an upgrade to 3.0 from 2.6. When I build as a "PC and Windows standalone" there are no problems. However, when I build as "Webplayer" I get:

It is referencing the line "t.Delete()" in the CreateXML() procedure from _GameSaveLoad.cs which I borrowed from http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Save_and_Load_from_XML which Zumwalt wrote a couple years ago.

I understand that I need to use a preprocessor directive. However, I cannot find any documentation on HOW to implement this within my code. Can anybody give me specific advice on what I need to do?

Thank you!

11. Ntero

Ntero

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ed8yd1ha(v=vs.71).aspx
    That link has some Preprocessor directives, if you click on the directives you will see examples.

mostly just #if() and #endif and #else for what you need.

Webplayers cannot access the File System, and so File system related classes are all stripped and non-functional (to avoid bloating the build with unusable classes).

12. amherst

amherst

Thanks, Ntero. I realize that I need preprocessor directive statements like:
    But what do I need to actually directed it to do in the case of Unity Webplayer? That is what I'm confused about.

13. Ntero

Ntero

Ah ok
    You'd probably want to wrape #if !UNITY_WEBPLAYER, and don't perform file i/o in the web player. As to alternatives you'll likely need to track something either in memory or on a server.