Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

XCode 12.5 in UCB?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by paradizIsCool, May 12, 2021.

1. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

Is there an eta to support XCode 12.5 in UCB?
    Our ad sdks just raised the minimum version to 12.5

2. Kujo87

Kujo87

same issue here - using Fyber and requires 12.5 as minimum now for some iOS 14.5 stuff

3. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reaching out in Unity Forum.
    Unfortunately, due to Apple's new policy, it requires us to upgrade to our build OS to Big Sur and we are actually in the process of doing this but it's still a little while away. So, no ETA at the moment.

4. paradizIsCool

paradizIsCool

Just thinking about that message right now :confused:

from https://forum.unity.com/threads/xcode-12-eta.955845/

5. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

This is very unfortunate! We just started using UCB and this breaks our current iOS build. We had to update one of our 3th party tools which uses Xcode 12.5 because of the iOS 14.5 update.

Really need this support asap.

(edit): There's not even support for Xcode 12.4 in UCB?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  6. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing. Please stay tuned for our upcoming updates for Xcode 12.5 support!
    As for Xcode 12.4, it has been in the list of supported versions for quite some time now. (see screenshot)
    upload_2021-6-3_16-5-25.png

When was your screenshot taken?

7. Medhaedu

Medhaedu

Any ETA On 12.5 . As it hampers our Qa testing and releases.

8. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Thanks for the reply. My screenshot is just a couple of days old. I also attached one from just now. As you can see we don't see Xcode 12.4 in the list.

(edit): I think I found a bug --> My target configs are copied. When I create a new target for iOS I can see Xcode 12.4 in the list

however, our build still fails because of a 3th party plugin was build using Xcode 12.5 so we really need this asap

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  9. fiveampsoftware

fiveampsoftware

Our latest build was just rejected by Apple due to being built with 12.4. Their info:
    ITMS-90424: Invalid Swift Support - The SwiftSupport folder is empty. Rebuild your app using the current public (GM) version of Xcode and resubmit it.

10. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

Thank you so much for sharing the bugs. Let me go ahead and relay this to the relevant communication channel internally.

As far as the availability of Xcode 12.5, all I can say is we are currently working on getting it released. However, since it involves a whole new OS and hardware upgrades, it will be a bit away and we don't have any specific ETA at the moment.

I hope it helps!

11. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately it doesn't help us because we can't downgrade the plugin. In this case UCB is not a valid solution for us anymore. It's really a shame. As a programmer I get how things like these take time. As a paying customer I don't get how a company can't focus on their products to keep them up 2 date and don't even give a rough ETA to their customers.

Like, what does "a bit away" means? 1 month, 6 month, a year?

qball13z, Zamaroht, Meatloaf4 and 2 others like this.
  12. rebelincontrol

rebelincontrol

Thanks for your response @Danny327 - appreciate the update/work you're all putting in. I have to agree with @StormChaserDev though. After the 12.3(?) fiasco late last year, I was hoping that there wouldn't be another delay like it at least for the foreseeable future. As a paid service it needs to be much, much quicker with the rollout. We, along with many other developers no doubt, simply cannot afford to have weeks/months of delays on the latest version of XCode every other time there is a release.

As others have mentioned we don't have the option of downgrading certain libraries, it's an absolute requirement that we are up to date. This is something that needs to be dealt with for future releases/upgrades as a matter of urgency if Unity is going to continue selling Cloud Build as a service. It is, unfortunately, currently not fit for purpose.

Zamaroht, Meatloaf4, damelin and 3 others like this.
  13. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

I think the issue here is that Unity version bound to the build target does not support xcode 12.4.
    You will want to set it to one of the following versions of Unity in order to be able to use xcode 12.4.

* Unity 5: Not Compatible
    * Unity 2017: 2017.4.33f1 and >
    * Unity 2018: 2018.4.10f1 and >
    * Unity 2019: 2019.3.0f1 and >
    * Unity 2020: All versions
    * Unity 2021: All versions

I hope it makes sense.

14. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Thanks for the reply.
    We're using Unity 2020.3.x so this is not the problem. As I said, I was able to select XCode 12.4 once creating a new Build target.

15. Agalliaret

Agalliaret

Have same problem.
    Our release plans are ruined due to the fact that we cannot build on Xcode version 12.4. Do you have rough plans for adding Xcode version 12.5?

Zamaroht likes this.
  16. thibouf

thibouf

17. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

Hey @Danny327, unfortunately, it looks like quite a few libraries are starting to depend on Xcode 12.5 (for example AdMob 6.0.1) otherwise a bitcode error is thrown and thus cloud build becomes useless.

I definitely understand not being able to give a specific eta but it would be awesome to know a general timeline. Perhaps you can let us know if it's it will be greater than 3 months to 6 months to get 12.5 implemented?

This would at least give many of us a general idea of what kind of shifts we should be making to our build pipelines in the meantime.

For example, if it's going to greater than 6 months I would likely figure out an alternate root to get my builds working on UCB Xcode 12.4. Whereas if it's more in the 3-month range I might just bite the bullet and build locally until 12.5 gets rolled out.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop btw. I really appreciate the time and support.

------ Edit ------

This is a bit unrelated, but the way I got around the lack of Xcode 12.5 for UCB with AdMob package (6.0.1) for Unity is to utilize the release iOS source files in the release .zip instead of the unity-plugin-library.a in the release .unitypackage.

In this case, a picture is worth a thousand words so see the attached images for more info :).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  18. masterton

masterton

I haven't tried this... yet... but you can rent a dedicated mac-mini in the cloud - https://www.macstadium.com/ - the cheapest option is $59 and Im sure its slow as molasses but considering I've spent 3 days trying to get my ad network sdks to build on UCB I wish I had spent the money. :(

19. unityventures7

unityventures7

Apparently my problem I posted on other topic is about this as well :/
    Ad networks failing with xcode 12.4 on UCB

20. smithmj5

smithmj5

Same issue here, with ironSource and all mediation adapters. I've gotten around it temporarily by manually overriding the iOS version of ironSource and adapters to old versions that didn't require xcode 12.5, but that's not a good solution long-term.

@Danny327 Any update on when we might expect to have xcode 12.5 support in Unity Cloud Build?

21. tarmo-jussila

tarmo-jussila

Upvoting for exposure. Hopefully the Xcode 12.5 Unity Cloud Build support is coming soon. I would hope that you guys would have a roadmap for these kinds of things. We are using UCB in a production project so this is kind of awkward.

smithmj5 and StormChaserDev like this.
  22. widogame

widogame

You guys can temporary add this line to iOS PostBuild Processor to make your projects can build on UCB. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to download dSYM file from Appstore Connect to upload to Firebase Crashlytics.

proj.SetBuildProperty(frameworkGuid, "ENABLE_BITCODE", "NO");

23. smithmj5

smithmj5

Unfortunately in my case that does not fix the issue (builds still fail in the same way).

Really hoping for some type of update from Unity here, it's been a month since the last comment about it.

24. SebNight

SebNight

Can you share the versions that worked for you? I have tried all the old SDK's but not luck.

Please Unity give us an ETA for this release

25. smithmj5

smithmj5

These versions work in my games. Use at your own risk, this is an older version of ironSource and these adapters so there may be bugs/issues.

Code (CSharp):
    2. IronSourceSDKDependencies.xml:
    3.     <iosPod name="IronSourceSDK" version="7.1.4.0">
    4. ISAdMobAdapterDependencies.xml:
    5.     <iosPod name="IronSourceAdMobAdapter" version="4.3.19.4">
    6. ISFacebookAdapterDependencies.xml:
    7.    <iosPod name="IronSourceFacebookAdapter" version="4.3.24.0">
    8. ISUnityAdsAdapterDependencies.xml
    9.    <iosPod name="IronSourceUnityAdsAdapter" version="4.3.8.4">

SebNight likes this.
  26. SebNight

SebNight

We are using the same adapters :)
    Thank you, I will try them

27. smithmj5

smithmj5

No problem, hope it works! Also, I'm using xcode 12.4.0.

28. Zamaroht

Zamaroht

Hello, just dropping by to say that not having XCode 12.5 support is being a deal breaker. We can't use UCB until XCode is up to date.

29. eladleb4

eladleb4

Well...It's the same thing every year with Unity and Xcode :(

With every new major Xcode release, the cloud team is "surprised" or overwhelmed by the "new and unexpected" infrastructure changes

Other services have Day Zero support, by working with Apple's beta software, but the unity cloud team always needs that extra push from the us devs to get it done faster....
    It's so frustrating...!
    Especially for a paid service from a publicly traded company... :( :( :(

Here are some of the previous releases for your reference...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/xcode-12-eta.955845/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/eta-for-xcode-11-support.691918/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/support-for-xcode-10-in-unity-cloud-build.536858/

30. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Yeah and we don't event get regular updates.

It's the worst customer support or customer relations I've ever experienced.

We're all paying for this service! Give us at least updates of the process

Edit: Guess they're occupied with this...

Attached Files:

Zamaroht and eladleb4 like this.
  31. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

Hello Meatloaf4!
    Thank you so much for your words so we can improve the quality of our Cloud Service.

I agree with you that we need to make the information on every significant change in our system readily predictable and accessible to our users. I will convey this concern to the dev team.

As to the roll-out timeframe of Xcode 12.5, we're currently targeting to push it out by September.

32. salmamoust

salmamoust

Hi, I update to ad mob 6.0.1 and trying to build on cloud i keep getting
    'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1205.0.22.9.0_0' Reader: '1200.0.32.29_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 12.0.0, (clang-1200.0.32.29)' is there is any work around until xcode 12.5 is supported ?

33. Kujo87

Kujo87

Just in time for Xcode 13 to release... does this roll out include building for that as well, so we can expect Xcode 13 builders available right away when it goes GM?

Zamaroht, xVergilx, SyedUmair and 2 others like this.
  34. eladleb4

eladleb4

Can't use cloud build until September :(
    That's just crazy slow guys...

35. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

Wow...that's just so bad. We can't wait this long. For us, UCB is not an option anymore.

I wonder how our players would react if we told them the next update comes out around Sept o_O

LegacySystem and eladleb4 like this.
  36. ehudcandivore

ehudcandivore

Absolutely ridiculous... Can anyone recommend an alternative cloud building service?

37. xVergilx

xVergilx

Get a crappy retail mac, or install a VM. Any of these should work.

But yeah, this sucks. Once again.

38. Kujo87

Kujo87

I've just bought myself a mac mini and set up jenkins to do it instead and cancelled my additional concurrent builds subscription with Unity.

Taken a bit of time to set up and get right - but now I can update as I please and make sure my releases go out with the right version when I'm ready.

Its a shame, because its been so good for so long, but this is just ridiculous

rebelincontrol likes this.
  39. ashlit1998

ashlit1998

Bumping this again to ask for an ETA

Antox3 and masterton like this.
  40. Grazer2

Grazer2

Bumping for ETA. Ad mediation (Unity ads & Facebook ads mediated via the gma toolchain) not working due to this it seems

41. tarmo-jussila

tarmo-jussila

The latest AdMob 6.0.2 actually downgrades Xcode 12.5 requirement back to 12.4 so I can confirm we got ad mediation working with using the latest versions available. We also have Unity Ads and Facebook mediation.

42. NiteDev_

NiteDev_

@tarmo-jussila when does that change was done? we are trying to make it work at UCB since the last week with lastest mediation versions and Admob 6.0.2, any extra info about how you made it work on UCB. Also we are using unity 2020.x LTS

43. Thaina

Thaina

44. tarmo-jussila

tarmo-jussila

AdMob 6.0.2 was released on July 16th 2021. Here's the release page: https://github.com/googleads/googleads-mobile-unity/releases/tag/v6.0.2

Code (CSharp):
    1. Fixed #1677 where build error occurs on XCode 12.4. This version requires Xcode 12.4 where the previous version required Xcode 12.5.1.
    As you can see from the changelog the Xcode requirement was lowered to 12.4. In order for it to work you should also have the latest ad mediation adapter versions, as they might have requirements also.

I recommend removing the old AdMob and mediation packages from the project altogether, before importing the new version to avoid dependency issues between the versions.

45. Thaina

Thaina

I just update everything this week and it still throw error about some library that seem to require 12.5. It seem some of mediation don't update to satisfied those

46. Grazer2

Grazer2

I kept running into build errors the same way for iOS builds (linker error due to AVFAudio) even with AdMob 6.0.2 and the latest facebook mediation package (FacebookUnityAdapter-3.3.1). What did the trick for me in the end was to disable bitcode [1]. Also I set the statically linked libraries toggle true in the iOS Resolver Settings, but I'm not sure if that did anything. The bitcode thingie I basically AB-tested to have an effect.

[1] https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/207942813-How-can-I-disable-Bitcode-support-

Thaina likes this.
  47. Thaina

Thaina

I have always disable bitcode

What work for me is downgrade
    <iosPod name="GoogleMobileAdsMediationAdColony" version="4.6.1.0"> to 4.6.0.0

48. Revolter

Revolter

@Danny327, do you guys have a clearer ETA by now, how is it looking?

RaventurnStefan likes this.
  49. StormChaserDev

StormChaserDev

*Bump*

Sept is close, what's the status?

50. Grazer2

Grazer2

Also seems that apps built with XCode 12.4 are not gonna run on iOS 15:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/682067

edit: That only holds true for installs from the UCB share link apparently. Testflight and Appstore should be good

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021