Search Unity

xbox one without ID@xbox

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zumwalt, Oct 5, 2017.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

I have scoured these forums for a real solution to this, considering, I am using Visual Studio 2017 and without Unity i can simply write code and deploy to my XBox One and i do not need a Microsoft Developer account for the XBox one or even the ID by Microsoft until I am ready to send it on to the store, but Unity doesn't allow me to build for XBox One without those steps with an ID which requires Microsoft approval etc. UWP itself is rather easy, but I am seeing tons of discussion threads about people unable to build for XBOX One with Unity or UWP issues, etc, but so far no solutions, can we not build to XBOX One in Unity without a lot of hassle? We don't need the ID until we are ready to sell, so why force it?

I even posted this question in Unity Answers but after 6 days with zero response and apparently 0 people looking at it, i am posting this here, i am not ready to make an ID based on the rules of creating the ID, I just want to build up my code in Unity 5.6x and push that to the xbox one for testing purposes, but Unity requires the ID, is there a way to build within Unity a 64 bit binary set then use Visual Studio 2017 to just push this out to the xbox one?

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

JamesArndt likes this.
  3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm not sure what ID you're referring to but I was deploying to from Unity 5.6 to my Xbox One via UWP in less than 30 minutes. I followed the steps in this tutorial to do it:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/tip...ing-for-uwp-and-deploying-to-xbox-one.395150/

EDIT - I think you were referring to the ID@Xbox program. They don't force it on you. In fact they will tell you to go the UWP route first...and/or ask to see a game design document or vertical slice to move forward with ID@Xbox (I know from talking with them about it). Now that they are opening up the system hardware (ram, CPUs) and such to everyone, not just ID@Xbox developers...that's a huge thing!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yep, I think there's confusion between the Xbox One build target and the Windows Store (UWP) build target which can also be run on an Xbox One.

Windows Store (UWP) apps can be tested, deployed to, and submitted to the store all with a retail unit. Native Xbox One apps need a dev kit and appropriate licensing, which you can apply for via the ID@Xbox program.

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

So, I don't use the xbox one build option for now, I use the windows store build option for now, as far how I am building in Visual Studio, its easy, I tell it the xbox build and use 64bit with the deploy being remote, but what just cleared this up is the need to use the windows store build which I did not look at. Thanks, that will solve this problem.

6. zumwalt

zumwalt

Guess it is not solved, that only has deploy to phone, and there has yet to be a build option I can do or setup in preferences using either XAML or D3D no matter what settings I set it to, even opening the project after the build in VS2017 and just trying to deploy doesn't work, you have to deploy via 64 or it wouldn't work.

7. zumwalt

zumwalt

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error The command ""C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\Unity\Tools\AssemblyConverter.exe" -platform=uap -lock="C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\project.lock.json" -bits=64 -configuration=Debug -removeDebuggableAttribute=False -uwpsdk=10.0.15063.0 -path="." -path="C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\MetroSupport\Players\UAP\dotnet\x64\Debug" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\UnityEngine.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\nunit.framework.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\UnityEngine.UI.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\UnityEngine.Networking.dll"" exited with code 1. TESTUWP C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\TESTUWP.csproj 257

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Restoring NuGet packages...
    To prevent NuGet from restoring packages during build, open the Visual Studio Options dialog, click on the Package Manager node and uncheck 'Allow NuGet to download missing packages during build.'
    1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: TESTUWP, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
    1>C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\App.cs(56,13,56,71): warning CS0618: 'ApplicationView.SuppressSystemOverlays.set' is obsolete: 'Use the TryEnterFullScreen method and IsFullScreenMode property instead of SuppressSystemOverlays. For more info, see MSDN.'
    1> TESTUWP -> C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\bin\x64\Debug\TESTUWP.exe
    1> UnityWSAPlayerDir "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\MetroSupport\".
    1> UnityProjectDir "".
    1> Copying unprocessed assemblies...
    1> Running AssemblyConverter...
    1> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    1> at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
    1> at UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.NuGetPackageResolver.Resolve()
    1> at Unity.UWPAssemblyResolver..ctor(String projectLockFile, String desiredUWPSDKVersion)
    1> at Unity.OperationContext.SetPlatform(Platform platform, String projectLockFile, String uwpSDK)
    1> at Unity.ParseArgsStep.Execute()
    1> at Unity.Step.Execute(OperationContext operationContext, IStepContext previousStepContext)
    1> at Unity.Operation.Execute()
    1> at Unity.Program.Main(String[] args)
    1>C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\TESTUWP.csproj(257,9): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\Unity\Tools\AssemblyConverter.exe" -platform=uap -lock="C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\project.lock.json" -bits=64 -configuration=Debug -removeDebuggableAttribute=False -uwpsdk=10.0.15063.0 -path="." -path="C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\MetroSupport\Players\UAP\dotnet\x64\Debug" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\UnityEngine.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\nunit.framework.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\UnityEngine.UI.dll" "C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\UnityEngine.Networking.dll"" exited with code 1.
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

So which build should I use and how do I deploy since it won't allow me to deploy in VS2017 the Unity projects, I deploy UWP normal projects to xbox one, is there a how to configure document laying around?

8. zumwalt

zumwalt

Lets try this, I created a completely empty project, a scene with a plane, only the camera, NOTHING else, I made sure it was on the Windows Store build, SDK Universal 10, followed the example link in this thread, made sure I was set to master, X64, had everything setup in Visual Studio 2017, tried to build, same exact error about missing the first pass dll, I looked, the project has Assembly-CSharp (Universal Windows) and Assembly-CSharp-firstpass projects correctly, and of course my Universal Windows project, but it still fails to build, can't find the first pass.

Error CS0006 Metadata file 'C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\GeneratedProjects\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\bin\x64\Master\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll' could not be found Assembly-CSharp C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\GeneratedProjects\UWP\Assembly-CSharp\CSC 1 Active

Because it doesn't exist, the folder is empty...

Error CS0006 Metadata file 'C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\GeneratedProjects\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\bin\x64\Master\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll' could not be found TESTUWP C:\Users\zumwa\Documents\Builds\TESTUWP\CSC 1 Active

I am using Unity 5.6.3f1 (64 bit), this is driving me crazy, as I mentioned, I can build a UWP app in Visual Studio 2017 and deploy with no problems, I haven't tried to download the online version of Unity because I own Unity 5x Pro and don't wish to subscribe, rather can't really afford to, I lost everything in Harvey, I do mean everything, my house is an empty shell, I am slowly recovering but dealing with a mortgage and renting a house, so doing a subscription is not an option, so how do I get my unity pro 5.6.3f1 that I own to work?

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Me too, and it worked fine. That was a fair while ago, though, think it was July last time I used it. It's possible that there have been changes since that the instructions need updating for?

I'd post in that thread, see if anyone still watching it has any ideas.

JamesArndt likes this.
  10. zumwalt

zumwalt

ok I am stupidly annoyed, here is why, I just downloaded and installed the trial free version of the 2017 version of Unity, did NO changes to the project, just opened it in 2017, rebuilt it in unity, opened the project in VS 2017, and simply deployed to the xbox one and It worked... my 5.6.3F1 PRO edition has that stupid error. That thread on how to do it is no longer valid because I followed it in 5.6.3f1 and it didn't work, missing the assemblies, but VS 2017 that requires a monthly subscription for the PRO version that is way out of my price range, the free version works, but I need pro features. Can they just FIX 5.6.3f1 to just work to deploy to xbox one since it was supposedly working in 5.2?

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

If something is not working then you should submit a bug report. Unity 2017 has also the Plus subscription which costs less than 5.x Pro did but has pretty much the same feature set but small differences in services.

angrypenguin likes this.
  12. zumwalt

zumwalt

A bug report on an old version like 5.6.3f1 I am not sure they will look into, So, one final test to make sure I wasn't totally insane, I made a new blank project in Unity 5.6.3f1 setup for windows store, setup the build settings correctly, put a single cube in the scene, build the project, opened up VS2017, opened the project, tried to deploy, same DLL error, closed VS2017, closed Unity 5.6.3f1, opened Unity 2017 1.1.f1 Personal, made ZERO changes to the project, opened and did the build, opened visual studio, opened the project, deployed the solution, and it deployed without a problem. As I mentioned in a prior thread, I am still fighting with insurance companies due to loosing everything in Harvey, I only want what I own to work without extra costs right now, but I might not have a choice but to pay the $35 a month for the Plus, as long as it contains the render to texture and compression.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You do not need to subscribe for engine features. Personal is the same.

14. Ostwind

Ostwind

Without even knowing if there is an issue they will not. Unity 5.6 is still supported for fixes (ie. latest patch release was released 2 weeks ago).

angrypenguin likes this.
  15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's fair enough. You've pretty clearly identified that it's a bug, because it should work identically in both of the versions you've tested.

As @hippocoder points out, if you fit the Personal criteria then you can use the new one without paying anything anyway. You only have to pay anything once you're making significant money with it.

Alternatively, if you want to stick to 5.6.x then you can try different versions. I expect that there are others using UWP deploys, so in particular I'd check for a patch release that lists your error as one of the fixes.

And if you don't find one then do as the others have said and submit a bug report. You've already got a perfect minimal repro project with your cube package - if it works on one and fails on the other that's exactly the kind of example they need. (Though to be fair in this case they probably don't even need an example. But bug reports with repro projects get ranked higher, so include it anyway.)

16. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks, I will submit the bug from within the 5.x version and see how I can proceed forward with this. Very grateful for these answers, 5.x has different limitations if you do not own pro version, from what I am hearing all of those limits are removed in 2017 and in personal you can use all of the pro features that were in 5.x, I hope I was understanding that, now to make that bug report.

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

4.x was the last version of Unity with engine feature differences between Pro and non-Pro, with the apparently notable exception of splash screen customisation. Since 5.x paid subs have been all about the income cap and the extra online services.

18. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks for everything, seriously, building in the 2017 personal edition for the moment and getting the controller to work I actually purchased the Rewired product from the asset store, and life got simple, very simple, working out kinks.

19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Where did you read that?

JamesArndt likes this.
  20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

If you Google the Fall Creators Update that happened this month it includes all of that information. Here is an image that basically shows how it was limited to developers through UWP and how it's now opened up the system to any UWP developer without the need for ID@xbox

guavaman and Peter77 like this.