Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One / Series port questions

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sebalreves, Jun 29, 2022.

1. sebalreves

sebalreves

Hi, i'm newbie working with xbox platforms, and i have to port a Unity Pc-build game to Xbox One and Series.

1. Is there any difference between UWP and a Xbox One Build module? In terms of performance or requirements that i have to be aware. It is more convenient use one or another in some occasions?
    2. Is it possible to pulish nowadays using UWP for One and Series? In that case, can i run the same One-build on a SeriesX? Is it backward compatible?, or are different steps to build for each console?
    3. Where can i find a guide for building in UWP?
    4. Can i test a build in a Retail console? What are the major disadvantajes? Is there any precondition to be aware before getting the console?
    5. Do i have access to cloud save / achievements in both consoles? How?
    6. Is the Unity Pro required for developing in Series X using UWP?
    7. Is necessary to use the Microsoft GDK?
    8. Any guide resources for developing is welcome

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

1. Yes. UWP is available for everyone to use. You create one app and it runs on PC & Xbox (all of the Xboxes). Being general purpose, there is some performance impact to using UWP on Xbox as it doesn't have access to specific console capabilities (since the same app has to work on PC too). Your mileage may vary. Using Xbox build module requires you to be a registered developer with Microsoft and they have to explicitly approve you for us to give you access.
    2. Yes. The same exact UWP app will run on all xboxes and PC.
    3. You could start here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/windowsstore-gettingstarted.html
    4. You can run your UWP applications/games on a retail console. There are no limitations, except I think you have to register in Windows dev center (I think it costs $19 or $29? Can't remember).
    5. Not all Xbox features are available for Xbox. I believe achievements is one of the ones that are not available. You can find more information here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program
    6. No. It's only required if you want to build using Xbox build module.
    7. No, Microsoft GDK doesn't support UWP.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  3. sebalreves

sebalreves

I need more info about the achievements and cloud storage.

If i have a ID@Xbox, are there any unity examples?
    Or i have to ask in other forum?

Thanks for the fast response

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I cannot discuss details of development with Xbox build module on this forum. I suggest you either post on Microsoft's ID@XBOX forum or on our Xbox forum (if you have access, that is).

sebalreves likes this.