Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One controller buttons fire multiple times only when two controllers connected

Discussion in 'Windows' started by nyarsulik, Nov 8, 2018.

1. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

This doesn't happen in the editor, but once I get into Visual Studio and when I deploy to Xbox One this becomes an issue.

With one controller, everything works great. Once I turn on a second controller, any button press for "Submit" triggers multiple times (even if I try to just tap the button, on the same controller that just worked great a second ago) and then I am unable to open menus without the controller selecting something on the next page automatically.

This has never been a problem, and I am using essentially the same input setup in Unity that has worked for a few years.

I posted in the "Help Room" but haven't had a response there. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

How are you reading controller input? Does this also happen on the same UWP build on PC?

3. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

I don't have a way to post images, but I have my input setup for "Submit" using the positive button "joystick button 0" for the a button on the controller like below:
    • Name: Submit
    • Positive Button: joystick button 0
    • Gravity: 3
    • Dead: 0.001
    • Sensitivity: 3
    • Type: Key or Mouse Button
    • Axis: X axis
    • Joy Num: Get Motion from all Joysticks
    On the UI.Button, I am using the "OnClick" function to call my menu change.

It is like it is firing on the "press" instead of the release?

4. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

In the "Event System" I have it currently set to 5 input actions per second, and a delay of 0.5, but that only seems to help in the editor. It is in VS/PC and Xbox where it triggers like crazy.

Firing on press isn't horrible, but since it then repeats before I even release it is essentially breaking everything when the second controller is active. It is so strange :)

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Indeed, and if it only happens when 2 controllers are plugged in, could we get a bug report?

6. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

Sorry, the Standalone Input Module is also looking for the "Submit" input name for the "Submit Button" action.

7. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

Sure. I don't have any real bug output I can show, but I can try to detail the problem like I did here.

Now, even when only using one controller it still fires on press as opposed to release, is that not something that anyone else has problems with? When I use the mouse, or the keyboard I am able to "hold" the button down and it doesn't trigger until release on those controls.

8. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

I take that back, the "Enter/Return" buttons do fire on press, only the mouse does not fire on press.

9. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Don't you have an example showing that the button is triggered multiple times from a single press?

11. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

I can try to screen record. However, it looks like I don't have a way to post a bug regardless. Perhaps that is reserved for Pro users only?

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

13. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

Ok, bug report submitted with video of the issue while in VS and then a few screenshots of my Input setup and one of the UI.Button items in the editor, just to make sure it isn't something I am doing accidentally.

Case 1099111

Thanks again for your help!