Search Unity

Xbox Live Creators Program Game File Size Limit?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by John-Lisenby, Mar 30, 2018.

1. John-Lisenby

John-Lisenby

Hello,
    I am trying to sideload my game via the Xbox Device Portal, and I am getting an error after the uploading stage during the process the error reads: "Installation Process, Failure reason: The system cannot locate the object specified. Failure text: There is not enough space on the disk. (0x80070070)". The APPXBundle file size is 1.08GB.
    Thanks,
    John

ShilohGames likes this.
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Does your Xbox have enough free disk space? I don't think there is a limit on AppX package size.

3. John-Lisenby

John-Lisenby

Yep, its 500gb model, and I have no games installed on it and the available disk space is 257gbs.
    Thanks,
    John

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I am running into exactly the same problem. I have a 2.59GB APPX file that generates this error message on an Xbox One S 1TB (fresh console with no games installed). My Xbox currently has 775GB of disk space available.

Installation Progress
    Failure reason: The system cannot locate the object specified. Failure text: There is not enough space on the disk. (0x80070070)

I tried multiple browsers including Firefox and Chrome. Same error with both. I also tested with wireless and wired connections, but same error with both. I've tried using an APPX file and an APPXBUNDLE file, but same error with both.

According to Microsoft, the file format supports up to 25GB in size, but I don't know if there is a smaller file limit when uploading to an Xbox One.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/app-package-requirements#app-bundles

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  5. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I did some additional testing today. I made a new empty project, imported the old "Particle Callbacks Demo", removed obsolete scripts from the project, and then built that project for UWP. Then I opened the UWP solution in Visual Studio and built an x64 Release APPXBUNDLE. That APPXBUNDLE file for the tiny project was only 42MB. I uploaded that APPXBUNDLE to my Xbox One, and that installed and ran just fine on the Xbox One. I did this test today using a tiny project just to make sure my build environment was working as expected, and it definitely is.

My 2.59GB APPXBUNDLE cannot be uploaded to my Xbox One, because "There is not enough space on the disk," even though there is 775GB currently available.

What I suspect is there is probably a temporary folder on the Xbox that is used during uploads, and that folder may have some size limit placed on it. We are obviously not hitting the 25GB file size limit of the APPXBUNDLE file format, so it must be some other internal limit.

What is the largest APPX/APPXBUNDLE that game developers have successfully uploaded into their Xbox One for UWP games? I am curious about what the actual limit is. I may even add more content into the tiny test project and create several more APPXBUNDLE files of various sizes in an effort to uncover what the actual file size limit is.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

What is the largest APPX/APPXBUNDLE that game developers have successfully uploaded into their Xbox One for UWP games?

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I've reached out to Microsoft for help on this. Hold on there.

ShilohGames likes this.
  8. phipro

phipro

Microsoft Employee

Sorry about the confusion here.. you are most likely running over the default allocation for UWP installation on the console.

In DevHome you can adjust the allocation used for UWP installations by hitting the Menu button, and navigating to storage, then adjusting the slider for dev storage.

We are working to update our documentation related to this.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/dev-home

Attached Files:

BrandyStarbrite and ShilohGames like this.
  9. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Thank you! This solved the problem I was having.

10. MartinWorker

MartinWorker

Hi, how can i modify the value?
    I see this slider, but i can't modify it.
    I tried with the controller, i tried with a mouse, but nothing happens. I have about 50gb free space, but the slider stuck at 5gb.

cjjeffery likes this.