Search Unity

Xbox HDRP Point Light causes crashes

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by LoopIssuer, Sep 1, 2021.

1. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

Hi,
    My game always crashes when Point Light comes on the scene. This happens on some Xboxes (i.e. series s).
    I use HDRP 6.9.1 and Unity 2019.2.21.

Please help me somehow.
    I have nothing in log files.

Thanks in advance for help.

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi. Sorry but we are not supporting this version anymore. Support start from 19.4 LTS and package 7.x (current being 7.7). Any version before 7.x and 19.3 were in "preview"with lot of instability.

3. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

Hi,
    I have updated Unity to version 19.4 and HDRP 7.3.1. (and also 7.5.1)
    Crashes still exist. Please give any hint.

I checked on an empty scene (with one object and Camera) and always after turning on Point / Area / Spot Light the game crashes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  4. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, just to clarify the repro step?

which version of 19.4 are you using?

you have one version of 19.4 version with hdrp package 7.5.1

you are creating an empty hdrp scene and adding a light in the scene.
    Then you build a xbox player
    Then running the generated binary you are crashing? The game doesn't load?

are those the step you are doing? Thanks

5. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

Unity version: 2019.4.12f.
    I create an empty scene (only camera, one 3d object, and one point light).
    I build an Xbox player (UWP application).
    Run on Xbox - game works fine.
    Scene loading - fine.
    When point light is enabled - crash. Nothing in player.log.

I had the whole game works fine on other xbox device, but on series s and another one (I don't remember exactly which one) always crash occures when point/area/spot light is enabled.

On MainMenu scene (loaded as first), the point light doesn't cause a crash. But I cannot see why.

6. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

Is the empty scene created from an empty HDRP project or an existing project? Perhaps you could share a small repro? I also suggest reporting this through the Bug Reporter window. https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/206336985-How-do-I-submit-a-bug-report-

7. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

When trying different settings, I noticed that the following settings are changed (from GPU to CPU) when a scene other than MainMenu is loaded. I set Progressive GPU, and when the second Scene is loaded (one with point light crash), it automatically sets to Progressive CPU.
    Maybe this is the reason?

Btw - I make tries on both Unity versions 2019.2 and 2019.4 - the result is the same.

upload_2021-9-2_18-15-34.png

Attached Files:

8. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

It is created from an existing project - I assume that this issue doesn't occur on the sample scene from the HDRP project.

9. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

Hi,

I receive now in player.log:

Unsupported light type
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/GI/Enlighten/Lights.cpp Line: 142)

Could you please explain what does it mean?

10. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

The Lightmapping settings depend on which scene is set to active. So I think what you are seeing is expected. If you haven't adjusted lightmapping settings in the crash scene then it should indeed default to Progressive CPU. Do you bake lighting of the crash scene btw? What is the mode set on the lights (Realtime/Mixed/Baked)?

I have tried to repro on Xbox player with a similar setup first loading through an empty scene to a one with camera, point light, and static plane with mixed mode point light and lighting baked, but couldn't reproduce a crash. Might be more things at play here. Please submit a small repro project though the bug reporter window and post the ticket number here so this can be investigated further.

Did you bake any scenes using Enlighten configuration? Haven't ran into this either unfortunately. Would be good to get more details how you ran into this.

11. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

And could I ask you to indicate what HDRP-related settings are specific to the scene? Maybe this would make it possible to compare both (working and crashing) scenes? I tried with Lightinig but with no positive results.

12. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

No, scenes doesn't have Enlighten configuration.

And could I ask you to indicate what HDRP-related settings are specific to the scene? Maybe this would make it possible to compare both (working and crashing) scenes? I tried with Lightinig but with no positive results.

13. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

I've tried from a new empty project created from HDRP Wizard. Default HDRP Asset and HDRP Default Settings. So if you tried on your current existing one I suggest checking if there's any difference how your HDRP asset is configured between your current project and a new one. Also the difference in Project Settings -> HDRP Default Settings.

14. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies