Search Unity

Xbox Community games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinl, Oct 18, 2008.

1. kinl

kinl

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41744.html

Maybe now there's more of a reason to have Xbox360 support for Unity, previously it looked like a touch and go situation to even get games released on XBLA and make any money as all the big production companies began to elbow their way into the 1 (or 2) games released per wednesday, 48 hours sounds good to me, of course I understand other things do stand in the way but at least for developers xbox community games could be a viable way to monetise indy games.

Just a thought! :)

2. Jessy

Jessy

I can see people working on Windows, with Unity, in the near future, and only using OS X to publish their iPhone game. UT, is there any way we can do the reverse of that: allow Xbox 360 game creation on the Mac, with having to use Windows only to convert the project to XNA, and publish?

That would be an absolute dream. I can't work in Windows, but I LOVE my 360!

3. Scrat

Scrat

I agree, Xbox 360 support for any kind of games (XBLA, "bigger" games or just community games) would be really great and would justify the use of Unity for a lot more (AAA) game studios (as well as indie teams).

I understand that getting it to work on the 360 would be tricky (having JIT or using AOT compilation) but that'd be so cool! :D

4. MentalFish

MentalFish

As an owner of all the current consoles, I would like to see support for PS3 downloadable games enabled via Unity (the only console I bother buying downloadable games from). It seems to be the one console with least hassles when it comes to these types of games. But, I guess Xbox 360 is technologically easier to support for Unity and with this XNA Community channel it will be much easier to get your content in as well.

5. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Has the UT Team mentioned anything about targeting the XBOX??

I just purchased XNA membership.. and it's so much harder without good old Unity. :cry:

6. Dakta

Dakta

I posted a topic about XBox support earlier this month.

Unity HQ said some stuff that sounded to me like "we might consider it in the future, if this this and this happen.......", which means "not in your lifetime"

I hope this is some sort of stimulus for them! (You're seeing this, Antennatree, right?)

7. Dakta

Dakta

Also........

I think that the Unity team will be able to have XBox deployment in some incarnation available within a reasonable amount of time. With this new system, it appears that you could develop with Unity, convert to XNA, and publish with XNA from Windows (like Jessy said).

This system would be a little more work, but I think it would be fine for starters!

OMG! The possibility of Unity for XBox!!!!! Amazing!

8. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

I agree, because right now all the 3rd party tools for creating XBOX community games (XNA games) suck. There's TorqueX and 2 others... and seriously they suck.

I was just on the XNA Community forums and someone was saying how they wish there was an engine like Unity for XBOX development.

I personally would buy the license without hesitation.

I just hope the guys at Unity know that with the new 360 Community games.. there is no need to get a xbox license ... it's just like creating games for the iPhone.

9. IPete

IPete

Yeah - we'd be very interested in an XBOX360 Unity too - just thought I would add my voice.

10. Jessy

Jessy

Xbox 360 would immediately become my target platform for development. It would be an easy way to be able to work with beautiful graphics, and not have to worry about people not having good enough hardware to run your games.

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We've stated it often, we're interested in expanding our platform support to include other consoles and mobile devices in some way, but we don't have anything to commit to at this time so we won't offer anything more than that (not a "not in your lifetime" thing at all :roll:). When there is something concrete and worthwhile to share we'll post information.

12. Dakta

Dakta

I see my sarcasm is under-appreciated......

Ah well......

13. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator