Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox and DLC, what is the general workflow for this?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cthomas1970, Jan 23, 2018.

1. cthomas1970

cthomas1970

Hey, I have a game, which I plan to release on Windows and XBox initially (using UWP). I want to keep the initial product manageable (its a solo project). So I was thinking of offering 20 levels with the base game, and then deliver 20 levels, in sets, via DLC.

So, this seems to be something for which there is VERY little help / guidance provided. I can see that assets can be put into assetBundles. And this seems like the solution.

But I'm then not clear as to how you would host those bundles, would these be on my own server? Or on the Windows / XBox stores? Does Windows Store / XBox store handle payment, storage and delivery, or is there a part of this (storage -> delivery?) I am meant to handle, given say, an item token from whatever store?

Having all the freedom to create is great, but I feel kind of paralysed, in not knowing what to do in terms of delivering the game to customers. I can certainly imagine defining the base game as the core assets + the first 20 levels, and levels 21 - 40 as a bundle, 41 - 60 as a bundle and so on. But what you are then meant to do with those Bundles, seems slightly off piste.

My long term plan, is to then (assuming the game is successful....) release the game on other platforms that support DLC, such as Playstation, iOS and so on. But just getting an insight for appBundle ---> DLC on Windows / XBox would really get the ball rolling.

Any help appreciated :)

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Peter77 likes this.
  3. cthomas1970

cthomas1970

Thanks for the pointer, looks interesting ;)

4. Mr_WindDog

Mr_WindDog

Same thing here, it’s hard to make this stuff, and I don’t really understand documentation that much, is there a video tutorial on it? They make it very unclear and struggling for dlcs on unity.