Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Xaml as GUI

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by dapug, Mar 6, 2014.

1. dapug

dapug

What are some thoughts from the community here on using XAML as a primary way to define and drive GUI / layout? I know there is a 3rd party tool for this brewing, but I'm thinking Unity itself needs to be optimized toward handling this (in addition to or instead of 3rd party).

Justification:
    • We are about to see more 2d games given the new 2d support
    • We see more and more apps built using Unity, not just games (you don't see em as often, because they are not public, but there are companies using Unity to build line-of-business apps that require cross plat and high perf visuals)
    • Xaml rocks (my opinion) and blows all other GUI's out of the water, especially in terms of Layout, and DataBinding capabilities

So, when building things that do heavy use of vector, and applying transforms and animations to GUI objects (vector or not) with excellent perf... we really need a lot more than what Unity supports today. But I admit I am pretty new to the Unity scene, so I'm open to being corrected on this.

See also, this feedback item
    http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/better-support-for-guionly-appl

2. jdesantos

jdesantos

I couldn't agree more. :) In fact, we were so convinced about it that we started to work in this project 3 years ago.

What you are asking for already exists: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9282

In fact, our product is selling quite well inside enterprise companies but quite modest with indies. We think that indie developers still don't understand the importance of having high quality GUI. GUI done by artists, not by developers, live GUIs. It is very difficult to find games with good quality (in comparison with AAA games) in the Unity ecosystem when you have the incorrect tool to design the interface. This is the same as if the 3D artists were forced to use Unity to build their meshes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. dapug

dapug

jdesantos, you might want to follow the link I gave here, and from inside that post, the link to the Xamarin forums as well. :)

Interesting point you make about indies. Reminds me of the days I spent convincing .NET developers of the same thing when Silverlight first came out. When they finally "got it", it was a big, big deal. Major adoption uptake, and amazingly cool apps being built. But still, I think Unity needs to get behind this. Hopefully they are supportive of your project? BTW, you need to get your stuff working on consoles. :) Love your project though, can't wait to take a closer look as soon as I have time!

4. jdesantos

jdesantos

Thanks for the good comments!

We are not the kind of project interesting for Unity due to two reasons:

1. Our tool is not integrated inside Unity. As said, this is like asking Max or Maya inside Unity.
    2. Our plugin is native. Unity is only interested in applications done at the script level.

5. dapug

dapug

Max/Maya inside Unity is a good analogy, good point. No need for Unity to want to fold it into the product, but they sure should care about compatibility, and making sure Maya users are happy with how Unity behaves with its assets. Unity has an impressive ecosystem of "partners" and supportive technologies like NoesisGUI - need to not only keep that up, but rise the best to the top.