Search Unity

Xamarin now free (and supposedly open source)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Acissathar, Mar 31, 2016.

1. zezba9000

zezba9000

Updating to .NET Core is the fastest .NET runtime / GC combo for PC right now anyway.
    It makes sense to use that as you get the profile update and the fastest runtime.

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Initially they said it would but that Standalone would be the last platform to get it. I think with the changing landscape, .NET Core, .NET Native and Microsoft's new native compilation thingy (basically like IL2CPP but can't remember what it's called) which uses embedded RyuJIT.

So, I have a feeling that Unity and Microsoft are actually working together and native compilation options / scenarios / tools and haven't actually formulated a clear roadmap of what the final product will be yet. That's just my speculation.

3. zezba9000

zezba9000

Its called CoreRT.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  4. MV10

MV10

I thought that was specific to their Surface WinRT architecture, no?

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Their naming always makes everyone confused :D.

CoreRT has little to do with WinRT (apart from the fact that it knows how to consume its API). WinRT has little to do with Surface (apart from the fact that Surfaces run Windows, and Windows have WinRT APIs). What you're thinking of is Windows RT, the failed ARM OS released in 2012. WinRT is a technology they use to expose new windows APIs in an object oriented way. CoreRT is ahead of time compiled .NET runtime.

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Thank you, was replying from my phone and didn't have an opportunity to look it up. :)

7. zezba9000

zezba9000

In short CoreRT is the open source .NET Native and is the future for AOT.

This is not to be confused with "LLILC" which as I understand is a LLVM JIT compiler for .NET. (My guess is this will be dropped for CoreRT).