Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

x64 editor?

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by zergmouse, Sep 6, 2012.

1. zergmouse

zergmouse

Still no 64 bit editor? Any updates to this?

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

True, no 64-bit editor in Unity 4.0. Will come later.

3. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

4. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Is later unity 4.x or more line 5?

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Each time I tried to do any promises, it came to haunt me later ;) But we really want to do 64 bit editor.

6. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I can understand that :)
    A side (somewhat related question). I haven't looked into it much as i'm only in the prototyping stages for my game but are the resulting games 32 or 64 bit? As 32 would hurt me there more than in the editor.
    Thanks!

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

32bit unless you export it as 64bit explicitely when standalone

8. unityasoft

unityasoft

They're thinking of the 64bit maybe sometime after 128bit or 256bit becomes a standard, im putting my money on 2030.

in other words i want a 64bit editor

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

How about a 64bit Mac runtime? Or is the current "Mac OSX" output 64 bit? I see win and linux 32 and 64 bit, but only one mac build type.

10. coquifrogs

coquifrogs

At this point, the 64-bit editor is probably my most needed feature :( I have 16GB of RAM but packing textures and importing them using 2D Toolkit runs out of memory fairly frequently. And it's only using about 5GB at most, ever.

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'd be pretty happy with that too if it can also fail mesh imports, i'm planning to import a (lot) of generated data and i can do that on a 32+gb server, would like for it to have some use

12. coquifrogs

coquifrogs

In my case it could be some sort of memory "leak" or just slow GC or something. It only happens when importing assets for a large set of textures and my rough calculations don't add those textures up to be anywhere near that size if all loaded. And packing individual sets works with no problem (typically).

13. zergmouse

zergmouse

I have 96Gb of RAM on my beast of a machine and I have 5Gb of 3D models I want to load into one project. I really dont want to load them at run time because I want to use post-processing in the editor to attach scripts to things. For example (this is a oil and gas facility) I have over 60,000 valves that I want to attach valve scripts to (about 250 types of valves) in order to make them interactive. I have all the scripts sorted out for the most part but I am still waiting for the x64 editor.

Also, it would be nice to be able to use a post processing script to place instances of an object into an imported 3D model. Again, 60,000 valves ... it would be nice if they were instances. It might save me when it comes time to load and render this thing.

Hey Unity, if you need large data sets to test an x64 editor on let me know ... this 5Gb data set is the smallest one I could find! It may require some NDAs but if it helps then I can set that up.

We are already using another technology for my project but I keep going back to Unity to troubleshoot data problems or functionality concepts because it is easier to work with. One of these days I will be able to just do the whole project in Unity... one of these days.

14. Chaoss

Chaoss

Why the hell do people STILL use 32bit? Everyone uses 64 bit OS's and CPU's now, and anyone who doesn't probably isn't interested in game development. It amazes me that software is still written and compiled for 32bit rather than using 64bit

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Porting issues, when unity was started, 64 bit wasn't quite the norm yet.

But yea it's really time to switch :( the days of 2GB being a "pretty good machine" are long past

16. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The data seems to disagree; out of Unity editor users in 2012 Q3 there's about 40% who are on 32 bit Windows.

That said, yes, we know that a 64 bit editor is much needed thing; y'all can stop replying with "I have X amount of gigabytes but Unity only uses Y". Yes. We know. We're on it.

17. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

3.5 at least made it easier for many as Umbra and Beast processes are 64bit and those were commonly the first thing to fail due to their massive temp data caches required to operate performantly

19. unityasoft

unityasoft

Guys seriously calm down, stop ranting... YEAH 2020 is a while away, but look on the bright side, at least every other software will have 256bit maybe even something like 1 Gbit, unity will definitely start looking into 64bit by then

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

You're not helping.

21. unityasoft

unityasoft

I apologize boss.

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

It will take till 2030 or 2040 until the 64bit address space will be exceeded when using the ram growth the past 10 years to extrapolate.
    Right now nearly all OEM machiens do not even qualify as 'makes sense to install 64bit' cause at 4GB RAM you have less usable ram left on a 64bit os than on a 32bit OS due to the higher memory usage and optimizations windows does towards it (On osx its a whole different story and problem)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  23. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

128bit or more can be usefull for some calculations, hell maybe even in video games. Make 1 the smallest unit and drop floats for exemple could allow for some large worlds without any precision issues (integer math only)
    But yea for memory i don't think many of us are going to be able to afford more than what 64 bit can address anytime soon :)