Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

X600 128MB standard in new G5 iMacs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveyJJ, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Finally a decent video card. PCI-E. Hurray!

2. taumel

taumel

Yep better than nothing but you know that this card is older than a year?! And keep in mind that the x600 is in no ways faster than a 9600pro. It's just better in terms of thermal design (mobile version) and that it's pciE - which will give you no speedups if you're not wildly swapping above 128MB. A x700 would have been a speed increase. x1300/x1600 would rock (SM3) if they would be able to go with their thermal designs.

So i would suspect ATIs 9600 stocks are empty... ;O)

Greetings,

taumel

3. robertseadog

robertseadog

But no PB's.. Im starting crying now, this means buying either a outdated/overpriced PB or a low-end ibook..

:-(

4. robertseadog

robertseadog

wait, photoshop expo anyone? oh yea!

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

This is my prediction for next Wednesday:

1. Greatly improved PowerMac line (some with the 970MP dual core, PCI-E, DDR2 RAM, faster FSB and HDs, and more)

2. Ever so slightly improved PBs (which would them point to a great MWSF in january).

3. A new pro photo application

4. Possibly (way out there I know) a new 3D application

6. robertseadog

robertseadog

At least there's something pro about it.. But I doubt the first Intel macs will be pro's.. I would release the low-entry macs first and then based on that experience build a pro-macintel machine when software and stability is acheved, but I guess theres nothing more to do than wait.

(And Im also gambling for a little makeover for the PB's but Im allways dreaming.)

PS! hows it going with your widget David? I've been sick for 2 weeks now but Im gonna mail you about some stuff soon ;-)

7. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Slowly. Never as fast as we intend. But we're moving forward. I may be selling my PB and replacing it with a iMac sometime in the coming weeks. :wink:

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I had one of the first rev. flat screen iMacs, and it was really slow. If you can, try working on one first - i Just know that my 1.5GHz PB seems a lot faster than my 1.6 GHz iMac did. (with same memory)...

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I never had the opportunity more than to look at the first rev ones in the stores, but the rev B ones were certainly faster than my PB in the two other programs in mainly use (Painter IX and Studio Artist) and even in the Photoshop tests (set actions) I tried. It may have been the lousy video cards in the rev A ones that were the source of slowness?

The rev C ones now have the X600 128MB cards and I can afford 1.5GB of RAM and a new Wacom tablet so my mind is all but made up now. We'll see what Wednesday's (19th) pro announcements bring before making a final decision.

unityunity