Search Unity

X600 128MB standard in new G5 iMacs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveyJJ, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Finally a decent video card. PCI-E. Hurray!

2. taumel

taumel

Yep better than nothing but you know that this card is older than a year?! And keep in mind that the x600 is in no ways faster than a 9600pro. It's just better in terms of thermal design (mobile version) and that it's pciE - which will give you no speedups if you're not wildly swapping above 128MB. A x700 would have been a speed increase. x1300/x1600 would rock (SM3) if they would be able to go with their thermal designs.

So i would suspect ATIs 9600 stocks are empty... ;O)

Greetings,

taumel

3. robertseadog

robertseadog

But no PB's.. Im starting crying now, this means buying either a outdated/overpriced PB or a low-end ibook..

:-(

4. robertseadog

robertseadog

wait, photoshop expo anyone? oh yea!

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

This is my prediction for next Wednesday:

1. Greatly improved PowerMac line (some with the 970MP dual core, PCI-E, DDR2 RAM, faster FSB and HDs, and more)

2. Ever so slightly improved PBs (which would them point to a great MWSF in january).

3. A new pro photo application

4. Possibly (way out there I know) a new 3D application

6. robertseadog

robertseadog

At least there's something pro about it.. But I doubt the first Intel macs will be pro's.. I would release the low-entry macs first and then based on that experience build a pro-macintel machine when software and stability is acheved, but I guess theres nothing more to do than wait.

(And Im also gambling for a little makeover for the PB's but Im allways dreaming.)

PS! hows it going with your widget David? I've been sick for 2 weeks now but Im gonna mail you about some stuff soon ;-)

7. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Slowly. Never as fast as we intend. But we're moving forward. I may be selling my PB and replacing it with a iMac sometime in the coming weeks. :wink:

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I had one of the first rev. flat screen iMacs, and it was really slow. If you can, try working on one first - i Just know that my 1.5GHz PB seems a lot faster than my 1.6 GHz iMac did. (with same memory)...

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I never had the opportunity more than to look at the first rev ones in the stores, but the rev B ones were certainly faster than my PB in the two other programs in mainly use (Painter IX and Studio Artist) and even in the Photoshop tests (set actions) I tried. It may have been the lousy video cards in the rev A ones that were the source of slowness?

The rev C ones now have the X600 128MB cards and I can afford 1.5GB of RAM and a new Wacom tablet so my mind is all but made up now. We'll see what Wednesday's (19th) pro announcements bring before making a final decision.