Search Unity

[X-WeaponTrail]The best weapon trail solution for unity.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by shallwaycn, Aug 18, 2014.

1. mcguinnessdr

mcguinnessdr

Hey, just add x-weapon trail to my game and it was creating two trail meshes. Is there a reason you set mInited to false in Start? Init already gets called in OnEnable, so forcing it to call Init again in Start creates a second mesh. I commented out the part in Start and it seems to work fine.

2. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

emm..
    I do remember I added that tricky code for some reason....
    If you commented out that line, when you instantiate weapontrail from prefab may not work properly..
    sorry for the inconvenient I'll try to find a better solution.

3. mcguinnessdr

mcguinnessdr

I have the weapontrail as a child of a prefab that gets instantiated, and editing that line out seems to work perfectly. I also had to edit out the line in Deactivate that disables the actual gameobject, as I have the weapontrail as a child of an object that gets disabled, but when I reenable the parent the weapontrail doesn't reenable. Hope that makes sense. I got it working in my case, but I assume it will break other use cases.

4. Superhxm

Superhxm

Hi, I used this in VR with singlepass, but the trail become black. how to fix this?

5. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hi, Sorry for the late reply.
    Currently I have no VR device to test it, But as far as I know it works with VR.
    Are you using the distortion material? I guess that may be the problem.(this material uses grab pass and that's not recommended because it only works under some specific project settings.)
    Try using other material, if the problem still exists please give me more detailed information.
    And if I didn't reply within 1 day please send me a email..
    Regards,

6. GGA_Wafflez

GGA_Wafflez

veil right trail.PNG veil wrong trail.PNG Question about continuity on trails. I'm combining red and distort trails for my weapons. I was wondering if you knew the cause of why sometimes the distort falls behind the red, or looks smaller, even on a blank stage (distort pulls from the image behind, right?). Above picture is correct blend. Below is what sometimes happens. The end points are identical or for some moves I've put the red end point behind. View attachment 468635 View attachment 468638

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  7. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hello,
    As far as I can see I think there are too problems in your weapon trail
    1, The background's color is too pure, the distortion may not take effect
    2, The distortion strength is too large, try reduce it in the material.
    as you said the distortion pulls from the image behind, but it also add offset to it, so in the second texture, the distortion is taken from other area which color is pure gray.

8. childcat

childcat

Hello, Shallwaycn.
    I'm using your asset very useful.

But I have a question.
    I am using XTrailWeapon in LWRP project.
    When you check the SRP option in XWeaponTrail 1.4.3 and use it, a new object is created in Scene called _XWeaponTrailMesh:|material(name).

Did I set something wrong?
    Or is this your design intent?
    If this is your design intent, please let me know why SRP options require you to create a separate meshObject.
    LWRP is still too difficult for me.

Please reply.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  9. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hello childcat,
    The XWeaponTrail uses Camera.OnPreRender() to draw the trail immediately, but this method not work in SRP, so in SRP the trail is rendered by mesh object but its rendering has one frame lag.
    Hope this helps,

10. BillyPocky

BillyPocky

quick question, how to make trail only active when model attackt?

11. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

just set the weapon trail game object's active state to false while not attacking should work.
    you need to set the state by script or animation event manually.

12. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

Will there ever be an alternative distortion shader for LWRP?

13. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

The distortion shader uses grab pass, but it seems the grab pass is still not stable in LWRP, in some Unity version may not work.
    Even it works with LWRP it's still not recommended due to the performance issue.
    There seems have some cheap solution for distortion, but I'm not sure if it works with LWRP, I'll take a try but it's not a priority task..

ZhavShaw likes this.
  14. RTXRishu

RTXRishu

Hello, shallwaycn, quick question.

Is there a way, through code or some settings, that I could make the trail 'disconnect' from the mesh it's attached to after a certain point?

So basically, when I attack, I want the trail to do what it normally does, trail behind the sword, but when the sword's animation is done, I want the trail to exist in the world scene, even if my sword is somewhere else now, etc.

As in, "trail disconnects from sword after attack animation completes".

Any idea how I can do that?

15. RTXRishu

RTXRishu

I can show you a reference video if you want.
    There's certain bosses in the game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice that do this. They do a large slash that has a trail, but when the slash is done, the trail lines stay in the air for a bit and the sword doesn't add onto the trail.

16. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hi,

I'm afraid currently this is not supported.

If you really want to do this you can add a "pause" flag in the Update() function, and set pause to true and force update to return when you disconnects the trail.

However I haven't tested it yet.

17. RTXRishu

RTXRishu

I use SRP. So should I pause both Update() and LateUpdate() since they both run a Pre/Post Render function?

I'll try this tonight.

Overall, though, great asset. Love it.

18. RTXRishu

RTXRishu

I played around with it.

I realized I don't need to pause Update(), I just needed to pause RefreshSpline() which is called in Update().

Pausing Update() pauses the fade-time variables and the vertex updates for fade as well, which I still need to work.

I used a "pause" flag, and changed the line of code in Update() to this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!pause) RefreshSpline();
    Then in Activate(), I added this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. pause = false;
    I set pause to true through animation event.

19. frontakk

frontakk

Hi,
    Is this asset also available on the timeline window?

20. JeffG

JeffG

Any Plans on supporting HDRP?

Edit: Kinda got it to work. Turn on option for SRP. I changed shader to the sample HDRP particle shader ParticleUnlitDistortion and its close to the standard Trail you have

Edit 2: ParticleUnlitSoft seems the best

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    StellarVeil likes this.
  21. Nikolat93

Nikolat93

is there anyway to make this only be affected by motion in local space? If my character moves while swinging, the trails will be affected by my character's movement and jump around a lot. Seems like a huge oversight for a first person melee combat game.

22. lenzchu

lenzchu

Couple of months ago I discovered the start of the trails aren't in sync with my animations and felt like a frame lag. Like the trails can't catch up to the blade. And the rest of the trail are like a frame average of the swing positions, making it muddy.
    I wanna clarify if anyone finding similar results and I solved it by moving 'MyPreRender(MyCamera);' line of the code and it's now working as intendent.
    I'm using HDRP currently
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         void Update(){
    2.             if (!UseWithSRP){
    3.                 return;
    4.             }
    5.           //  MyPreRender(MyCamera);
    6.         }
    9.         void LateUpdate(){
    10.             if (!UseWithSRP){
    11.                 return;
    12.             }
    13.             MyPreRender(MyCamera);
    14.             MyPostRender(MyCamera);
    15.         }

23. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hi all,
    Sorry for the late reply.. I don't know why I didn't receive the reply notification from Unity since a long time ago..

@lenzchu
    Thank you for the solution, I'll test it tonight, If everything goes well I'll update a new version soon.

24. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Has anyone tested this on mobile?

25. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hi there should be no problem on mobile.

Most of the users including me are using this tool on mobile project.

26. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

That's good to know. Have you tried testing on some low end mobile phones?

27. lenzchu

lenzchu

Hi again! I discovered multiple xWeaponTrail gameobjects lingering in the hierarchy when destroying or instantiating one of my weapons a couple of times. I'm not sure if I've been doing this correctly that results in this flood. Is there a way to clean this up?
    upload_2021-1-10_19-4-15.png

Many thanks!

28. zoomj

zoomj

Im using Unity 2020 ,shader: Xffect/displacement/screen only zhis one cant work, how can i fix it

29. milkalazer2

milkalazer2

Hi, I am developing for VR, is there a way to the sword trail for locomotion, and only activate it during attacks?

30. Sizzle182

Sizzle182

Hi, I'm running into issues where, at times, the trail will appear to begin from very far away. Almost like it's beginning from the origin or someplace else. Are you aware of the issue? Is there a workaround? Thanks!

31. sharifmeagalli

sharifmeagalli

Can you do a HDRP shader for the distortion materials

32. tlamiczka

tlamiczka

There's a very simple way how to do distortion material now :) (at least with URP 12+)

If you use Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Unlit material, you can now use Advanced option Distortion. See screenshot for possible setup how to do it (the most important thing is the normal map that actually does the distortion)

Additional info is here https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...ersal@12.1/manual/particles-unlit-shader.html

(I'm very happy I can use this now, working with shader graph is pretty complicated)

Attached Files:

33. brendenguy

brendenguy

Hello! I recently purchased X-Weapontrail and it is not working for me either on the provided demo scene or in my game. There simply is no trail effect. I don't see any errors anywhere to indicate what might be going wrong. I am on Unity 2020.3.25f1 and URP 10.7. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Also I should note that I am instantiating my weapon at runtime. I've confirmed that it has the X-Weapontrail prefab and it is activated, but nothing is happening.

34. supermoof

supermoof

I use URP and I got it to work by checking 'Use SRP'

35. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

Hi @shallwaycn , I bought this asset as it said it works with HDRP on the Unity Asset page description. Any official guide how to get it to work including the distortion effect?

36. echolink

echolink

try check "Use with SRP" box to true

37. echolink

echolink

hi @shallwaycn im using URP on Unity 2020.3 and 2021.2 and the distort material is pink. how to fix this?

38. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

SRP box doesn't fix all for HDRP. Distortion shader doesn't work as it was advertised. It's highlighted to be an HDRP on the store page but it is not really. it is a bummer there is no real support. I am not into bad reviews, especially for a little update that could be done by the creator in little time to the asset... I'll consider this lost money then :-/

Attached Files:

39. solkyoshiro

solkyoshiro

And the website with the docs are down. So, I think that says everything right there.

40. maxnguyen2711

maxnguyen2711

Help me! :( I have the trouble with curve sword. how can i solve this problem
    upload_2022-12-28_17-32-20.png

41. JeffG

JeffG

For me, I changed the Activate() function.

Commented out the Init and reset the mSpline instead

Code (CSharp):
    1.             //Init();
    2.             foreach (var cp in mSpline.ControlPoints)
    3.             {
    4.                 cp.Position = CurHeadPos;
    5.                 cp.Normal = PointStart.position - PointEnd.position;
    6.             }

42. JeffG

JeffG

You just need to create the proper material. You can download the HDRP sample shaders in the package manager and that can give you many options.

I have a couple done, This is one example

Attached Files: