Search Unity

Question X-Ray effect?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by dgoyette, Jun 18, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Does Shader Graph support the ability to render objects that are obscured by other opaque objects? I was looking to implement an effect where the player can "see" certain objects, even if they're hidden behind other objects. This seems like something I might be able to do in a shader by adjusting the rendering pass, but I don't see an option in SG. I'm using 5.16 with Unity 2019.1.

2. zhuchun

zhuchun

I guess you're looking for a transparent shader without depth-test? IIRC, if you enable distortion on the master node then a depth test check-box will popup, uncheck it will do the trick.

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks. I tried that, and you're right that it now draws the object on top of everything else. However, I think the distortion must be getting involved. As I get closer and further from the object, it dramatically changes color. I set the material's emission to be very bright green. When I'm close, it's green. As I get further away, it drops off to being grey. I can see it behind the wall, but it loses all color.

I'll keep playing with it.

38.png 46.png 55.png 75.png

4. zhuchun

zhuchun

Oh, that was interesting, I didn't notice that since I was using it for screen color distortion. Maybe Unity would release an "original" depth-test option for shader graph someday.